HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Johor Bahru - share is caring

Like Tree476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #4561
Master Member

Only if you're not willing to get out for other choices.
Go nearby eat also better.
Unless the food at hotel is good.
xsoldix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #4562
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hmm I wanna pen my thoughts about something... All along we all heard horror stories about going to JB etc etc...

For about 3 years... I've began soloing Thailand on my own... despite people also sayingThailand is dangerous bla bla bla...

As of late, I wanna expand my horizons and try to explore Malaysia on my own... I think its good to start with JB since its closer to town.

Recently, i've been entering JB on my own, i still fear but not as bad as last time... Come to think of it, thousands of SGreans venture into JB/Malaysia all the time... but all it takes is just 2 or 3 cases to blow it out of proportion? Bad news travels fast perhaps... Maybe in reality, less than 1% ever have anything bad happened to them... Its a combination of suay, carelessness and maybe arrogance that got them into trouble in the first place?

Anyway, im thinking of staying in JB during the weekends as im getting bored in SG... but what can a solo traveller do on weekends in JB? or maybe even further in Johor itself?
kediraksith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #4563
High Supremacy Member

Hmm I wanna pen my thoughts about something... All along we all heard horror stories about going to JB etc etc...

For about 3 years... I've began soloing Thailand on my own... despite people also sayingThailand is dangerous bla bla bla...

As of late, I wanna expand my horizons and try to explore Malaysia on my own... I think its good to start with JB since its closer to town.

Recently, i've been entering JB on my own, i still fear but not as bad as last time... Come to think of it, thousands of SGreans venture into JB/Malaysia all the time... but all it takes is just 2 or 3 cases to blow it out of proportion? Bad news travels fast perhaps... Maybe in reality, less than 1% ever have anything bad happened to them... Its a combination of suay, carelessness and maybe arrogance that got them into trouble in the first place?

Anyway, im thinking of staying in JB during the weekends as im getting bored in SG... but what can a solo traveller do on weekends in JB? or maybe even further in Johor itself?
What are you interested in?

Those who are scared will always be scared la. I go so many times bo taji.

kosongice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #4564

.... Come to think of it, thousands of SGreans venture into JB/Malaysia all the time... but all it takes is just 2 or 3 cases to blow it out of proportion? Bad news travels fast perhaps... Maybe in reality, less than 1% ever have anything bad happened to them... Its a combination of suay, carelessness and maybe arrogance that got them into trouble in the first place?
Yes and no. true to some extent but not true. Many cases are not reported. If you have relatives like me who live in Johor, sometimes, even police inspector house is not spared. Over the years, heard many incidents from my-in-law whenever she visits them.
On the other hand, sometimes its blown out of proportion in scale. It was serious crime, but exaggerated as many had happened. Have you ever been robbed off your car/van in broad daylight? Ha..ha.. when that happen... you know the condition already. Anyway, not to be frighten of such incidents when crossing over. Always be careful and common sense comes into play, many had already mentioned.

I too was concerned when I 1st started visiting JB many years back ALONE by bus. Travelling again alone on JB buses to places like Kota Tinggi and Ayer Item. Grab any bus that come you way to a so called Garden (Taman in Malay) to only found out what it really means. Those were the days when I was jobless then.... Certain things I avoid doing and refrain from doing... etc... all being said by many. Touch wood that I have yet to encounter any incident unlike some of my friends.

All my trip... avoid the night especially back lane unless I am comfortable with the area. Even Malaysians I met told me they are scare of back lanes....ha..ha.. especially ladies

Last edited by bbmars1128; 27-08-2017 at 10:03 PM..
bbmars1128 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #4565
Arch-Supremacy Member

What are you interested in?

Those who are scared will always be scared la. I go so many times bo taji.
for starters, i may wanna wonder around town...

actually this thought came to me just today coz, i went in about 8am... suppose to meet my msia ex colleague for breakfast but he last min got things on cannot meet... then so early City sq mall also not opened and im hungry... so i wondered around outside looking for food...

as i sit at the kopitam chill and eat... it dawned on me... crimes will always happen, we SGreans will take it especially bad due to our LOW crime rate... but life in Malaysia still goes on... why do i have to fear... especially I also wondered on my own in Thailand also nothing happened... So i think i will apply the same mindset i have when i go Msia on my own next time... open moi mind...

for now, i havent visit those simi Aeon at Tebaru and Bukit Indah... so will go the common places first...

I did a cycling tour with a buddy last year... quite nice as we ventured to ulu places and explore... lived in a very small town at tanjong sedili... i miss those kind of enviroments. So if you ask me what I like... as long as its not a city? If got chance I also wan to mix around with simple folks... chill at kopitiam...
Old 27-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #4566
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes and no. true to some extent but not true. Many cases are not reported. If you have relatives like me who live in Johor, sometimes, even police inspector house is not spared. Over the years, heard many incidents from my-in-law whenever she visits them.
On the other hand, sometimes its blown out of proportion in scale. It was serious crime, but exaggerated as many had happened. Have you ever been robbed off your car/van in broad daylight? Ha..ha.. when that happen... you know the condition already. Anyway, not to be frighten of such incidents when crossing over. Always be careful and common sense comes into play, many had already mentioned.

I too was concerned when I 1st started visiting JB many years back ALONE by bus. Travelling again alone on JB buses to places like Kota Tinggi and Ayer Item. Grab any bus that come you way to a so called Garden (Taman in Malay) to only found out what it really means. Those were the days when I was jobless then.... Certain things I avoid doing and refrain from doing... etc... all being said by many. Touch wood that I have yet to encounter any incident unlike some of my friends.

All my trip... avoid the night especially back lane unless I am comfortable with the area. Even Malaysians I met told me they are scare of back lanes....ha..ha.. especially ladies
so i have the added advantage that I dont have car nor apartment... and i travel light... so i have less to worry about? further more im a male... should make full use of my advantages right?

Im actually thinking of renting a motorbike to tour/explore around msia but I dont have a lic and I dunno how the culture is like over there... Thailand pretty straight forward and I rode in thailand quite often.... Msia traffic scares me more than Thai ones...
Old 28-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #4567

If you are not attracting people to you by being flashy, people will not be eyeing you. Same everywhere, including SG.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #4568
Arch-Supremacy Member

There is no bus stop opposite Tebrau city. Just have to stand on side of road and wait for bus.
Zzz where got dun have, I take many dtime liao from the bus stop after crossing the.bridge. Go.down the stairs is the bus stop already
FireEmblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #4569

Zzz where got dun have, I take many dtime liao from the bus stop after crossing the.bridge. Go.down the stairs is the bus stop already
Think the bus stop u are referring to is near the highway entrance? U gotta cross over and go down hill.

Which is maybe a 10-15mins walk.

Bet6 does have a stop nearer to aeon, so it's less walking. Good for lazy Singaporeans like me.
Old 29-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #4570
Arch-Supremacy Member

Think the bus stop u are referring to is near the highway entrance? U gotta cross over and go down hill.

Which is maybe a 10-15mins walk.

Bet6 does have a stop nearer to aeon, so it's less walking. Good for lazy Singaporeans like me.
For BET6, pic with description below:

juventusfc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #4571

Kindle Paperwhite Cover

Hi, anyone knows where I can buy a Kindle Paperwhite cover?

Thanks.
hwsstx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #4572

Just drop an email to mywatsons@watsons.com.my and they will be able to help you activate your Watson's card.

The website somehow cannot accept Singapore mobile number.
Thank you.

Activated my Watsons card after writing to them. All my personal details eg IC, SG Mobile, email etc are updated. However, if there is a change in any details, I will be unable to update as the site does not recognize SG mobile.

Another issue I am trying to resolve with Watsons, is that I am suppose to get 500 points when I activate but currently my point balance is only 18.

Last edited by hwsstx; 30-08-2017 at 03:08 PM..
hwsstx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #4573

[QUOTE=juventusfc27;110004991]

thats the stop I alighted.. Now very raining, no proper walkway and the soil is quite soft. Plus must climb up a small hill. U will end up in the car park. And u need to cross a LONG bridge to get to the bus back... Me too lazy. Lol

If u born in the 80s... It's something u might be familure with... Walking strange paths to reach the back entrance. Best advice is to follow the rest. Most will go to aeon.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #4574

Hi, anyone knows where I can buy a Kindle Paperwhite cover?

Thanks.
Have u tried eBay? Ship in form China? Usually it's cheaper since Malaysia also get stock for China. Only thing is that they buy in bulk.
Old 31-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #4575
Supremacy Member

For first timers. Just wear jeans and t shirt. Dress up like we locals do. Get a back pack with small bottle of water and an umbrella. You can buy 1.5L mineral water from Tesco at RM1 later.

Always be aware of your surrounding. Go with with people who are familiar in JB. Best travel in groups.

Never bring your calculator along, conversion must be done mentally. Don't bring too much cash. In the event of emergency, use CC to withdraw. Always get an insurance for abroad.
jasonhanjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.