Johor Bahru - share is caring - Part 2

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there are quantifiable facts that malaysia food is better.

1st, they have fresh duck eggs, that makes their CKT made with duck eggs tastes better than any sg version made with chicken eggs. That is not subjected to individual taste. duck eggs is scientifically tastier than chicken eggs because duck eggs contains more fat and fat=flavour.

2nd, malaysia has unfrozen meat. sg imports frozen meats and once again, science shows that unfrozen meat tastes better than frozen meat due to the change in the texture of meat being damaged by the expansion of the ice crystals as water freezes, and also the lost of the flavour when the frozen meat goes through the thawing process, which when following the food safety guidelines means soaking the frozen meat in running water. this results in the holes made by the ice crystals being replaced with water...

3rd, this one is subjective, singapore don't have blood curds :s13:

Everyone's taste buds and expectation diff.
As for the prices, ex-rate aside, over there cost more or same price in SG.

Insatiable_creat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone here able to get stuff delivered from JB at the moment? Got some stuff at my vendors, but no idea how to courier them over. Vendors cannot help due to some silly policy.

Used to be as easy as piggy bagging drivers going in for petrol..

hwbest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your first point is only true if the skill level of cooks is comparable.

1st, they have fresh duck eggs, that makes their CKT made with duck eggs tastes better than any sg version made with chicken eggs. That is not subjected to individual taste. duck eggs is scientifically tastier than chicken eggs because duck eggs contains more fat and fat=flavour.

2nd, malaysia has unfrozen meat. sg imports frozen meats and once again, science shows that unfrozen meat tastes better than frozen meat due to the change in the texture of meat being damaged by the expansion of the ice crystals as water freezes, and also the lost of the flavour when the frozen meat goes through the thawing process, which when following the food safety guidelines means soaking the frozen meat in running water. this results in the holes made by the ice crystals being replaced with water...

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haven get over the "cold turkey" stage huh? lolz... Wait abit and soon will be over....

I missed the food and dirt cheap petrol. lolz

Doesn't seem to be over very soon. I would like to say till end of this year bah.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone here able to get stuff delivered from JB at the moment? Got some stuff at my vendors, but no idea how to courier them over. Vendors cannot help due to some silly policy.

Used to be as easy as piggy bagging drivers going in for petrol..

Are those delivery services like J&T Express and Ninja allowed to cross the causeway to come over? I don't think the governments' agreement includes these services, does it?

I initially had something I wanted to get from a Malaysian seller in Shopee, but decided to hold it since they're having their MCO.

Insatiable_creat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are those delivery services like J&T Express and Ninja allowed to cross the causeway to come over? I don't think the governments' agreement includes these services, does it?

I initially had something I wanted to get from a Malaysian seller in Shopee, but decided to hold it since they're having their MCO.

Info on land delivery via both countries is vague. Earlier read reports that non food items were rejected over at the Malaysia side. Though this article in March said cargo supply shouldn't be affected.
https://www.todayonline.com/singapo..._referral_inarticlelinks_03092019_todayonline

I assumed that those established couriers would be using sea/air delivery instead. Sellers via Shopee should be fine imo as the seller would be in charge of arranging courier. Or you could drop them an enquiry first.

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually i find the food sold in sg is on par with JB , in fact many stall holders here are Malaysians and they can also cook to suit the local taste
(just that in JB they will give more ingredients/meat in the food and charge us lower rate)

so wont go JB at all if not for the savings...

Stallholders msian also no point if the food not up to msia standards, because they follow tastebuds here which is why people wanna go jb because its different..

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Info on land delivery via both countries is vague. Earlier read reports that non food items were rejected over at the Malaysia side. Though this article in March said cargo supply shouldn't be affected.
https://www.todayonline.com/singapo..._referral_inarticlelinks_03092019_todayonline

I assumed that those established couriers would be using sea/air delivery instead. Sellers via Shopee should be fine imo as the seller would be in charge of arranging courier. Or you could drop them an enquiry first.

Shopee cannot.i did try to buy something from there and try to put vpost but cant ship here..

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My overall understanding of that agreement they made is mainly for (essential) foods that we've been importing from there all this while. Just an agreement that they'll continue to supply, thus able to move across the causeway as usual.

My Shopee buy was around the time when they started MCO, so I was having doubt if the seller will be able to move around to do the posting, etc. Thus my decision back then to hold back. Mine's not that important stuff anyway. :)

Insatiable_creat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Could make out the name of the forwarder... They should have put company at the back of the polo also :s13:

Shopee cannot.i did try to buy something from there and try to put vpost but cant ship here..

Wah... Sibei sian. My earlier purchase from Shopee in April from China went well though. :(

My overall understanding of that agreement they made is mainly for (essential) foods that we've been importing from there all this while. Just an agreement that they'll continue to supply, thus able to move across the causeway as usual.

My Shopee buy was around the time when they started MCO, so I was having doubt if the seller will be able to move around to do the posting, etc. Thus my decision back then to hold back. Mine's not that important stuff anyway. :)

Hope everything gets better after June. Anyway, found an alternative. Too bad closed for Hari Raya.

https://www.facebook.com/bridgerunnersg

Maybe can arrange with them next week.. Up for others to consider.

Last edited:

Toomany

Reaction score

Actually Singapore food is much better. I have not taste any nicer CKT in jb before. Any to intro that is better than zion road Ckt or outram ckt?

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not comparable. The usual CKT you get in Malaysia use the thinner kway teow, and is usually not as dark or sweet as what we get here, for one.

Yes agree, lot of food are similar to sg food but still not the same.
Malaysia style ........

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i don't find the majority of the singapore's "best" CKT to be any good, mainly because i find that they are too sweet and too wet and all have filler ingredients; ie fish cake and chinese sasuage.

to me CKT is see hum kuay tiao, only acceptable are noodles, egg, tao gey, chives, cockles and pork lard.

the best CKT used to be at Margaret Drive hawker center, that was my No.1 but after being away for a decade, i came back and my buddy bring me to his new location in telok blangah, the standard not there anymore and it made me very very sad :s34: :(

a very close 2nd spot is Pasir Panjang Food Centre.

the 2 best CKT spots for me at Ipoh and Penang :D

is it really that nice compared to the best in Singapore?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.