HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Malaysia prepaid card

Like Tree1997Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #2341
Master Member

It's the same for both, coz you'll still need to ensure you've enough credit in order to subscribe for a data package. If not, you'll still need to top-up in both cases. I can't quite understand the difference here, with regards to data subscription.

From my personally experience with these 2 cards, I find Digi Best more hassle-free coz I can do stuff with it from home or on-the-move. Tron has no auto-roaming service, though there's been claims that you can connect to the Tron network in certain parts of Singapore.

If you rather not wait for later to top up as and when you need, you can always reload a bigger amount right after you've activated the card. Am I understanding you correctly?
True ya. Both have to top up a large amount then to keep it going.
Regarding the data plan for digi, 1rm a day, could I activate and deactivate for just one day at a time? Or it will just keep deducting RM1 per day?
The other question would be, if I top up RM 100 at one go, I suppose I will get the 120 days validity, I wonder if I can go by that route then only activate the SLL in 3 months
blade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #2342
Supremacy Member

True ya. Both have to top up a large amount then to keep it going.
Regarding the data plan for digi, 1rm a day, could I activate and deactivate for just one day at a time? Or it will just keep deducting RM1 per day?
The other question would be, if I top up RM 100 at one go, I suppose I will get the 120 days validity, I wonder if I can go by that route then only activate the SLL in 3 months
If you subscribe to a data package and fail to send in a request to stop the auto-renewal, the deduction will happen at the end of the day. If you only want to use it for a day, then all you've to do is to send in the request before midnight. I think the USSD code is *128*3*1*1#. Note that for Digi, the data will stop immediately after the request is acknowledged.

Of course you can top up RM100 to keep the line activated, and activate SLL later or just let it expire if you've used up the credit and decide to change to another telco. So long as SLL is available for subscription, that is, as Maxis has stopped its Validity 365 with the latest #Hotlink plan, and Celcom is not offering EXP1/2 for Magic SIM.

Actually, if you choose to go the constant top-up route one day, you can consider Maxis #Hotlink or Celcom Magic SIM for XPAX, both which I feel have better network coverage than Digi. (After cancellation of auto-renewal, Celcom Magic SIM allows you to use the data up to the end of the day, while Maxis #Hotlink allows you to use up to the real end of that package (e.g. true 24x7 hours after a 7-day package is activated.) More information to absorb when you're ready.

Last edited by Habrosus; 18-11-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Habrosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #2343
Master Member

If you subscribe to a data package and fail to send in a request to stop the auto-renewal, the deduction will happen at the end of the day. If you only want to use it for a day, then all you've to do is to send in the request before midnight. I think the USSD code is *128*3*1*1#. Note that for Digi, the data will stop immediately after the request is acknowledged.

Of course you can top up RM100 to keep the line activated, and activate SLL later or just let it expire if you've used up the credit and decide to change to another telco. So long as SLL is available for subscription, that is, as Maxis has stopped its Validity 365 with the latest #Hotlink plan, and Celcom is not offering EXP1/2 for Magic SIM.

Actually, if you choose to go the constant top-up route one day, you can consider Maxis #Hotlink or Celcom Magic SIM for XPAX, both which I feel have better network coverage than Digi. (After cancellation of auto-renewal, Celcom Magic SIM allows you to use the data up to the end of the day, while Maxis #Hotlink allows you to use up to the real end of that package (e.g. true 24x7 hours after a 7-day package is activated.) More information to absorb when you're ready.
Interesting.. Ha-ha I think the constant top up is not suitable for me. And tron initial set up is actually not cheap. The best compromise is actually tune talk but don't seem easy to obtain ya.
Think next best would really be digi. And just starting with SLL seems much safer as you comment that some telcos stop that all together already
Old 18-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #2344
Master Member

Tunetalk dealer:UI MOBILE SDN BHD
SOUTHERN,
LOT JK3-06 LEVEL 3 JOHOR BAHRU CITY SQUARE, JALAN WONG AH FOOK, 80000

Seems like there's one in city sq.

So for tune talk I guess I will just buy the starter pack and top up RM30 and get the thing activated?
Old 18-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #2345
Supremacy Member

Interesting.. Ha-ha I think the constant top up is not suitable for me. And tron initial set up is actually not cheap. The best compromise is actually tune talk but don't seem easy to obtain ya.
Think next best would really be digi. And just starting with SLL seems much safer as you comment that some telcos stop that all together already
The RRP of a Tron pack is actually only RM9, I got mine from the old Genting Rewards counter last year. But yes, it looks more difficult to find a Tron authorized dealer than Tune Talk's. But Tron does mail to Singapore, unlike Tune Talk, so you can order from their online shop if you meet their T&Cs.

Tunetalk dealer:UI MOBILE SDN BHD
SOUTHERN,
LOT JK3-06 LEVEL 3 JOHOR BAHRU CITY SQUARE, JALAN WONG AH FOOK, 80000

Seems like there's one in city sq.

So for tune talk I guess I will just buy the starter pack and top up RM30 and get the thing activated?
Mmm... we've tried this shop and no, they don't actually have the TT SIM packs there. In fact, some of those addresses listed aren't really updated. As mentioned earlier, someone here found his in a shop in Bukit Indah 10/1.

I bought mine in Melaka, though not from those listed shops.

Normally with a SIM pack, the basic steps:
- Buy the starter pack, stating to them the SIM size that you need.
- Get them to activate the SIM card after they've registered it with your particulars from your passport.
- Check the credit balance and expiry date, if you want to make sure.
- Top up if necessary, and activate whatever else you want, either extended validity and/or data package.
Old 19-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #2346
Master Member

Ha-ha OK means just buy what can be found. Tron I check out the site but only can purchase the Tron lite sim card which is RM53. The RM 9 starter pack can only be bought by exisitng tron users. Ha-ha weird system.. anyway the shipping fees of Tron is too expensive.

Anyway good advise, think I will just stick with Digi and try to get it in Citi Sq.

Last edited by blade007; 19-11-2015 at 10:25 AM..
Old 19-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #2347
Supremacy Member

Ha-ha OK means just buy what can be found. Tron I check out the site but only can purchase the Tron lite sim card which is RM53. The RM 9 starter pack can only be bought by exisitng tron users. Ha-ha weird system.. anyway the shipping fees of Tron is too expensive.

Anyway good advise, think I will just stick with Digi and try to get it in Citi Sq.
From what I see from their website, the RM53 is actually the same Tron Lite and RM50 is a required reload amount (RM3 is the 6% GST) for them to mail the (otherwise free) SIM pack to you.

I hardly use my Tron SIM card for data as I get better connection with the others like Maxis, Celcom, and Digi, so much as that there's already quite a huge amount sitting inside. I sometimes resort to just using PAYU (pay-as-you-use) data just to use up the amount, and oh yes, once I activated a data package and later had difficulty getting a network connection to disable auto-renewal when I was ready to head back.

Without auto-roaming capability with Tron, I also find it a hassle to have to find a Tron network (used to be able to get it from the Kopitiam or bus bay at Kranji station but failed on my last few attempts) to disable the auto-renewal and stuff. I like to be able to do stuff very quickly on my mobile devices on-the-go.

A good spare card to keep on hand though, for calls and such.
Old 19-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #2348
Master Member

yeah seems that I should give up on tron..

Went to take a look at hotlink, and realized that there is the Untuk Tablet plan which is valid for 365 days?

Would this suit my usage even better?
1) data for 365
2) valid for 365
3) maxis good coverage?

just adding this to the mix. do let me know if there is any downside. I understand there is no talk time here. but that should be ok.
Old 19-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #2349
Supremacy Member

yeah seems that I should give up on tron..

Went to take a look at hotlink, and realized that there is the Untuk Tablet plan which is valid for 365 days?

Would this suit my usage even better?
1) data for 365
2) valid for 365
3) maxis good coverage?

just adding this to the mix. do let me know if there is any downside. I understand there is no talk time here. but that should be ok.
If you need only data then yes, go for Hotlink Untuk Tablet, coz for RM30 you get 1GB of data valid for 365 days. After that, you've an option to subscribe for more data/validity, or just go get a new card. I use this for my tablet.

Maxis is known to have the best coverage, but not that popular coz many feel they're expensive. For one who's more concerned with connectivity, they're my primary mobile service provider.

Downside ... at the present moment, this SIM pack can only be bought from Maxis Centers. In JB, the nearest are Danga Bay and Taman Molek. But if you happen to be in Melaka, there's one right smack in the centralized Mahkota Parade shopping mall.
Old 19-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #2350
Master Member

Downside ... at the present moment, this SIM pack can only be bought from Maxis Centers. In JB, the nearest are Danga Bay and Taman Molek. But if you happen to be in Melaka, there's one right smack in the centralized Mahkota Parade shopping mall.
aiyo... haha difficult to find leh..
yes I plan to use data only.
Any chance anyone one selling in SG? hahahaha
This data card seems wonderful. Plan to use it on my duo sim mobile, just activate when Im inside, call wise still can use SG mobile.
Old 19-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #2351
Supremacy Member

Any chance anyone one selling in SG? hahahaha
Not that I know of...
Old 19-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #2352
Master Member

Not that I know of...
haha guess I will just have to go in and try my luck and pick then
Old 19-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #2353

haha guess I will just have to go in and try my luck and pick then
sometimes, its faster to just ask the shop keeper
jiajiaherbaltea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #2354
Master Member

sometimes, its faster to just ask the shop keeper
yup. have to go in there then can ask ma right?
Old 19-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #2355
Supremacy Member

yup. have to go in there then can ask ma right?
Get a picture of the Hotlink Untuk Tablet SIM pack on your phone, then you can show them when you ask. If a dealer tells you "old plan no more already", just smile say "Thank you" and leave.

Like I said, not many dealers know their products unless it's something already sitting in their shop. So far, only the shop in KSL knew about it, and that it's only available in Maxis Centers.

With so many dealers big and small in and around City Square, maybe someone will be resourceful enough to stock a few. Good luck!

JB Sentral: 2 shops upstairs, 1 shop each downstairs on each side (facing CIQ and facing City Square), 1 shop in City Square, and 1 shop in Komtar JBCC.
xtemujin likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.