Malaysia prepaid card

LobsterX

Reaction score
Hi first time travelling to Jb, some enquiries would like to find out from the gurus here.

1)where can i get hotlink prepaid card near custom/city square ? Price ?
City sq have le. RM10. anything else just reject them.

2)can the card be activated after long period of inactivity like 6mths ?
nope

3)For travelling around jb, what taxi is recommended, uber or grab ?
I prefer uber. but i think no diff la.... cheaper than flagging down a cab there.

Lampard

Reaction score
after 50 days can i use the hotlink app to top up and re-activate ? or need to purchase new card.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after 50 days can i use the hotlink app to top up and re-activate ? or need to purchase new card.

Are you referring to the 50-day grace period for Hotlink? If so, the grace period means your card is already in its inactive/passive stage, when you can't use it for anything other than to receive calls and SMS.

If no top-up is done during these 50 days, your card will expire altogether and you'll have to buy a new card.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
What's your data consumption like? Can 1 or 2 GB last you a year, or only a month or few days?

Offhand...

Maxis Hotlink Tablet Plan - scroll down the page for places to buy from.

OneXOX, MVNO riding on Celcom network, check the Travel Bazaar here to see what it offers and the dealer's contact info.

DiGi Prepaid Best 2016 offers the option to extend validity at a fee.

Might try Digi tml when I land in KL.
Would want to keep the SIM for a year at least.
How much do I need to top up?
Thinking 2Gb would suffice.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you want to extend 1-year validity by paying RM68, then minimum balance in the card is RM69. This is the DiGi Best SIM pack.

By downloading and activating the Digi app, you can get 1GB free (I think valid for 7 days, and you may have to do the redemption) - can refer to their website for info on this.

Other than that, you can either use the free basic internet or subscribe to one of the fast internet packages if you need more data.

Since you'll be in KL, you can also consider getting the Maxis Hotlink Tablet SIM pack, if you don't intend to use the line for calls/SMS.

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At this point, i would suggest getting the digi and its extended validity. That way no bill shock when you make calls roaming calls from malaysia back to sg.

Unless your contacts all know how to do whatsapp call.

I myself am about to get digi sim.

kitkat2

Reaction score

get a few digi prepaid sims at a time. buy from convenience stores, not at airport to avoid being carrot. retail price rm8 to rm12. activate a new one by making the first call every time you visit. why pay rm68 to keep one sim for a year?

LobsterX

Reaction score
get a few digi prepaid sims at a time. buy from convenience stores, not at airport to avoid being carrot. retail price rm8 to rm12. activate a new one by making the first call every time you visit. why pay rm68 to keep one sim for a year?

please do not purchase from the 2 "booths" within KLIA before you cross the customs where you get the passport chopped.

you'll get chopped first by the people forcing you to take on extras you wont need.

happened to my friend. he touchedown 1 day earlier then i did, i tot him to get the 10RM hotlink fast card, in the end he messaged me say he got the RM40 cos got 2gb free data.

I was like :eek::eek:. he just got conned. cos there is already 300mb free data upon card activation, then next day was saturday so it's free 1gb each for sunday and saturday, then on monday, install and login to the hotlink app for another 1gb free for a few days.

totally conned for rm30..... and he flew home on monday somemore.

kitkat2

Reaction score
happened to my friend. he touchedown 1 day earlier then i did, i tot him to get the 10RM hotlink fast card, in the end he messaged me say he got the RM40 cos got 2gb free data.

he must be very happy lah. 2gb for rm40. so cheap after dividing by 3! :p

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some clarification about Hotlink Fast, if someone can help:

- the 1GB Saturday and 1GB Sunday free 4G data, user just have to activate data to see if in 4G coverage? If have, then can surf?

- this also has free social chat, right? Does this mean that in non-4G coverage, can still activate the data for say, Whatsapp use?

- thus, Hotlink Fast has no PPU data?

Thanks in advance. :)

kitkat2

Reaction score
Need some clarification about Hotlink Fast, if someone can help:

- the 1GB Saturday and 1GB Sunday free 4G data, user just have to activate data to see if in 4G coverage? If have, then can surf?

Thanks in advance. :)

yes, once you get 4G, data will flow. once data flows, even you lose 4G, you can still surf :s12:

4G is needed to trigger the free data but doesnt mean you need to stay 4G.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, once you get 4G, data will flow. once data flows, even you lose 4G, you can still surf :s12:

4G is needed to trigger the free data but doesnt mean you need to stay 4G.

Thank you! :)

So in short, Hotlink Fast users can turn on the data anytime, so long as within the quota for social chat? Of course, not forgetting that the card is activated via online or voucher top-up. Cheers!

kitkat2

Reaction score
Thank you! :)

So in short, Hotlink Fast users can turn on the data anytime, so long as within the quota for social chat? Of course, not forgetting that the card is activated via online or voucher top-up. Cheers!

i think so..but hotlink's social chat is usually not more than 32kbs...data can barely move..never really bother...often i cannot tell whether it's working or not :)

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think so..but hotlink's social chat is usually not more than 32kbs...data can barely move..never really bother...often i cannot tell whether it's working or not :)

Most importantly, there's no PPU and user can on data for Whatsapp standby, whether it works is another story, and if can surf then surf.

Just checking for my friends, as I'm using the old plan so fast internet all the way. ;)

So many changes to these prepaid plans lately that I've quite lost touch on the details even after going through the various websites. :o

LobsterX

Reaction score
he must be very happy lah. 2gb for rm40. so cheap after dividing by 3! :p

I only scold him.

RM10 is to buy the card.

RM30 is to subscribe 2GB data.

but for what? weekends is free 1gb each, he didn't fully utilise at all. and monday he flew back home liao.

waste money. where got cheap?:eek:

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's only pokemon in name. can be used for anything. before they upped mydigi 1.5gb from 1gb, pokemon 300mb was the best value money can buy.

you can buy pokemon multiple times and the data will add up. this is preferable if you want to avoid or reduce unfinished data at the end of the day. :)

Bro,

Do you know what is USSD code to subscribe this Pokémon plan?

Or this only available via app?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.