HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Malaysia prepaid card

Like Tree2002Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #3721

there is no reputable telco in malaysia

i felt really digusted after digi at klia promoted to my friends the prepaid version that doesnt come with free weekend data and asked them to topup rm30+ to purchase a monthly data plan for their stay over the weekend.
not sure about aother telcos, but i was over in KL between 24th-28th. which is a friday till tues....

I did some research thru the posts here and settled on Hotlink FAST as it provided
1) free 300mb data for first 3 days upon line activation
2) 1 GB free per sat and Sun for a total of 2GB for all weekends
3) Free 1gb for another 3 days upon registration on the HOTLINK FAST app...

all this for RM10. I find this bang for buck.

so I got 300MB from friday and sat,
Free 1GB for saturday[plus whatever left from above 300MB]
Free 1GB on sunday
Free 1GB from mon-tues after registering on the app[technically till wed, but i flew back on tues evenning]

Those considering Hotlink FAST, kindly NOTE not to buy the card prior to crossing the customs where you chop the passport. it's RM40 as they force you to top up and apply for 2GB data on spot.

Directly after crossing customs, you'll exit and see a HUGH MAXIS hotlink shop. go there and get the RM10 hotlink fast card. I got mine there. just show passport and tell them you need the RM10 hotlink fast simcard.

I still got RM5 credit left. today will expire.
micromousez, Habrosus and what88 like this.

http://MyBitcoinJob.com/?id=LobsterX
LobsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #3722

It's a different digi shop this time, the rest station kind.

Exact convo was "I want to top up 10RM only". 2mins later, the 9RM was activated and 1GB deactivated.

Yea, i change it to malaysia, it works for my 011 card but not my 016 card lol...

So i was reading hotlink is eh 10RM for the card and 3 RM per GB. But is there a long duration? so i can use it every 3-4 months? Without spending too much ?
look at this link on their site
https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/tnc/pl...fast-plan.html

http://MyBitcoinJob.com/?id=LobsterX
LobsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #3723

I think those shops/booths at their airports are actually dealers, and not the telco centers. So back to our ongoing discussions about how some dealers have their different ways of creating more income, yes it's best to do some homework beforehand if we want a reasonable deal.
should say if u know what u wan, u wont be carrot head
no diff from sg ah beng mobile if u suay go to black shop
ska13a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #3724
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys any cheap prepaid sim to buy at JB ciq area for 1 or 2 days usage.
No need data
oohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #3725
Supremacy Member

Hi guys any cheap prepaid sim to buy at JB ciq area for 1 or 2 days usage.
No need data
Cheapest off the shelf U Mobile from 7 Eleven in JB Sentral... or Hotlink from City Square.
Habrosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #3726
Supremacy Member

OneXOX

hi for those of you who bought this sim card.. can I check a few questions with you all?

1) Do we need to provide any photocopy of our NRIC or passport to seller? If not, do we need to provide our personal details onto their website when we register the card? Or can just insert phone straight away use?

2) Where can we top up the value once we have use up the credits?

3) How much total value is there in the card when we purchase this $12 sim card?
Came across this in the Bazaar and decided to reply here so as not to disturb the dealer's thread.

By the way, the 28-month validity promotion has been extended till 30 September 2016. Great news!

1) The requirement for Malaysian SIM cards to be registered is decade-old:

Regulations Edit
Since December 16, 2006, all SIM cards must to be registered. This is done at the point of purchase and takes only a minute or two. It then connects right away. All networks allow tethering and VoIP calls. From 2015 the local sales tax called GST (Good and Services Tax) of 6% will be added to the face value of all top-up vouchers.

In 2016 the regulator (Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission) conducted an audit on dealers and agents of communication companies offering mobile cellular services in all of the country to check on the accuracy and validity of the records of subscribers taken by dealers and agents at the point of registration.

Source: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Malaysia

Unless the card is registered AND activated, you'll not be able to use it. So if a dealer sells you a "pre-registered" card without asking for your particulars (name, ID number, and address), it's most probably registered using someone else's particulars.

2) I just bought a couple of RM5 top-up slips from 7-Eleven in JB Sentral recently.

15. Where can I get ONEXOX Prepaid Plan top-up?
You can top-up your ONEXOX Prepaid Plan at all 7-Eleven, petrol stations and at selected
outlets via the e-Pay terminals. Please don’t forget to mention “XOX” when you’re
purchasing the top-up.

Source: http://www.xox.com.my/wp-content/the...onexox-faq.pdf

There are other sources like petrol kiosks, supermarkets, and other convenient stores you can check with too.

Or on the top floor of KSL mall, there's a shop which provides e-pay services and the top-up vouchers come in the form of e-pay printed receipts. I get my Tron top-up vouchers from them.

Or via the Self-Care portal, according to the FAQ:
16. What can Self-Care do?
The XOX mobile Self-Care is an online portal which allows you to:
a. View your subscription profile which consists credit balance from DA & MA accounts,
subscriptions validity, and free SMS’s balance.
b. Overview of your monthly detailed billing.
c. To purchase top-up
d. Internet subscription management: To subscriber internet plan, upgrade your
subscription, check remaining quota and increase the quota.
e. Sub-line management: Can add up to 10 sub-lines, manage their profile, subscribe
internet plan, and upgrade sub-line’s internet subscription.
f. Check loyalty points.

3) If you read the dealer's post in the Bazaar again, it's stated that there'll be a RM5 credit in a new SIM card.
what88 likes this.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #3727
Master Member

I second that.
Bought hotlink fast for 10 ringgit for less than a week use with 5 ringgit spare. Just remember to reload before expiry to keep it active. Or buy, use then throw and buy again.
ipadxcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #3728
Supremacy Member

Latest List of Popular Choices

Looking at the latest discussions, I'd narrow the more popular choices to these 3:

For Data Needs:
Maxis Hotlink FAST
Check out Post #3722 here, where member LobsterX has shared how one can make (full?) economical use of a new SIM card.
The nearest source known to sell it without imposing any extra charge, is the Maxis Exclusive Partner shop in JB City Square.

For Longest Validity:
OneXOX with 28-month validity with a mere top-up of RM10 (this promotion has been extended to 30 September 2016 due to popular demand)
We're fortunate to finally have a registered dealer who's made this available to us, easily and legally (registered with our own particulars). Just check out his thread in the Travel Bazaar here (he specializes in OneXOX), or you can get it via his Shopee.sg post. (PM me if you need the links.)

For Payable Validity Extension:
DiGi Best Prepaid Plan
Super Long Life (SLL) is the term used by DiGi for its (paid) optional validity extension feature.
The latest DiGi Best version available from the shops (in Malaysia, of course) is the DiGi New Best Prepaid v2. This comes with Free Basic Internet, which has resulted in the cost of SLL to rise to RM68/year, as opposed to those of the two earlier versions which cost RM38 (still available for existing users).

Side Note: As much as some users prefer to have extended validity, you can also choose to either throw away your card when it expires and buy a new one, or keep track of the validity date and do small reloads to reactivate the card in order to keep the number.
Different users have different preferences, so the choice is eventually yours.
LobsterX, xtemujin, what88 and 1 others like this.
Old 22-07-2016, 01:05 AM   #3729
Master Member

Not Prepaid, But Data That Is CHEAP(er)?

https://www.u.com.my/postpaid

RM98 (SGD$32.70)
- 30GB Data (4G LTE @ Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand)
- Usable In 13 Countries
- Free "Data Backpack" Roaming
- Unlimited Local Calls To All Network (Malaysia ONLY)
- Zero SMS - Cost 3 sen (Umobile) / 8 sen (Others)
https://www.u.com.my/postpaid

RM70 (SGD$23.35)
- 7GB + 8GB* Data (4G LTE @ Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand)
- Usable In 13 Countries
- Free "Data Backpack" Roaming
- Unlimited Local Calls To All Network (Malaysia ONLY)
- Zero SMS - Cost 3 sen (Umobile) / 8 sen (Others)

* 8GB Extra Data Valid Till 31st December 2016.

http://postimg.org/gallery/iid10yfs/

Last edited by zzxxzzxx; 22-07-2016 at 01:25 AM..
zzxxzzxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #3730

not sure about aother telcos, but i was over in KL between 24th-28th. which is a friday till tues....

I did some research thru the posts here and settled on Hotlink FAST as it provided
1) free 300mb data for first 3 days upon line activation
2) 1 GB free per sat and Sun for a total of 2GB for all weekends
3) Free 1gb for another 3 days upon registration on the HOTLINK FAST app...

all this for RM10. I find this bang for buck.

so I got 300MB from friday and sat,
Free 1GB for saturday[plus whatever left from above 300MB]
Free 1GB on sunday
Free 1GB from mon-tues after registering on the app[technically till wed, but i flew back on tues evenning]

Those considering Hotlink FAST, kindly NOTE not to buy the card prior to crossing the customs where you chop the passport. it's RM40 as they force you to top up and apply for 2GB data on spot.

Directly after crossing customs, you'll exit and see a HUGH MAXIS hotlink shop. go there and get the RM10 hotlink fast card. I got mine there. just show passport and tell them you need the RM10 hotlink fast simcard.

I still got RM5 credit left. today will expire.
new hotlink cards the are best for value for money to those who make short trips to malaysia. i have been a proponent of new cards, but most people here are crazy over extended validity thing and willing to pay huge money for it. therefore this thread tends to be hammered by tron and xox troopers
kitkat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #3731

Not Prepaid, But Data That Is CHEAP(er)?

http://postimg.org/gallery/iid10yfs/
but i think there is deposit of RM$500 for non local to apply postpaid
steven168z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #3732

I second that.
Bought hotlink fast for 10 ringgit for less than a week use with 5 ringgit spare. Just remember to reload before expiry to keep it active. Or buy, use then throw and buy again.
malaysian sims are registered. dont just throw them away. please destroy them or reach out to customer service to report lost (to deactivate).
Old 22-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #3733

I think those shops/booths at their airports are actually dealers, and not the telco centers. So back to our ongoing discussions about how some dealers have their different ways of creating more income, yes it's best to do some homework beforehand if we want a reasonable deal.
99% of these outlets are dealers and most of them are outfitted to look like telco, wearing telco's uniform and have direct access to telco's computer system. so telcos are not responsible at all.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #3734
Master Member

but i think there is deposit of RM$500 for non local to apply postpaid
There's always friends and family.

It's just an option. for those who seek more data.
Or travel between these places.

Just hope China is in, then i'll definitely get.
Cos Roaming Data in China = NO RESTRICTION.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #3735

There's always friends and family.

It's just an option. for those who seek more data.
Or travel between these places.

Just hope China is in, then i'll definitely get.
Cos Roaming Data in China = NO RESTRICTION.
DATA BACKPACK™
Use your postpaid data to roam in 12 destinations for free.

https://www.u.com.my/plans/roaming-idd/data-backpack

Bring your postpaid data plan with you on your travels
You can now use the data from your postpaid plan overseas at no extra charge!
Simply activate international roaming before you travel and connect to our preferred roaming partner to take advantage of this offer.

Data roam with your postpaid plan
Available in 12 destinations
No data roaming charges
steven168z is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.