HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Malaysia prepaid card

Like Tree1984Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #4216
Supremacy Member

I think the validity of the card will be extended when you reload an expiring tablet SIM, but the validity of the existing data package cannot be extended.

What I did the last time was just to reload, then subscribe to the only 365 days data package, which is the 2GB one, though I don't really use that much within a year.

I've one expiring in 2 months' time.
That mean I will need to reload a few days before the 'official' 1 year period, wait until the existing data package expire and then subscribe a brand new '2GB' data to extend the SIM card validity?
what88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #4217
Arch-Supremacy Member

The validity of this tablet plan cannot be extended right even though we do a top up to add on the data ?

Mine going to expire soon...
Can extend. Buy data expiry date gets extended.
what88 likes this.
Oinkize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #4218

Can you share the link on this pass? They normally have the steps there somewhere.
https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/plans/fast.html

There is this one that says rm3 for 1gb (daily)
sydney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #4219
Supremacy Member

That mean I will need to reload a few days before the 'official' 1 year period, wait until the existing data package expire and then subscribe a brand new '2GB' data to extend the SIM card validity?
Yup, just about what I did. Though back then I did it before the expiry since we couldn't roam with this plan, had to do it during a day-trip over.
what88 likes this.
Habrosus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #4220
Supremacy Member

https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/plans/fast.html

There is this one that says rm3 for 1gb (daily)
Yes, I knew about the RM3 for 1GB. Was wondering about the 2GB for RM3 that you've mentioned.
Old 17-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #4221

thinking of taking a coach to kl, is there places at tbs that I can buy new sim card?
in kl there are many places that you can get at official retail prices: kk mart, mynews.

or you can take train to midvalley for digi flagship store or to kl sentral for maxis.
kitkat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #4222

So it might be cheaper to buy a new card instead?

Thanks.
you are so smart. but many singaporeans like to own a permanent malaysian number

if you are getting digi, get an extra card for your next trip. dont let the seller open the packaging and activate it for you. activate it yourself by making the first call on your next visit
what88 likes this.

Last edited by kitkat2; 17-11-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Old 17-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #4223
Supremacy Member

Yup, just about what I did. Though back then I did it before the expiry since we couldn't roam with this plan, had to do it during a day-trip over.
You mean top up or subscribe the data package? Thought few days back we were able to receive roaming SMS.

Still thinking should I extend or let it lapse and get the Hotlink Fast instead.
what88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #4224
Supremacy Member

You mean top up or subscribe the data package? Thought few days back we were able to receive roaming SMS.

Still thinking should I extend or let it lapse and get the Hotlink Fast instead.
Ya, but back then roaming wasn't enabled yet. Over 6 months to a year already.

We weren't able to roam back then, thus I reload and subscribe at the same time, when I went over to JB.

Now, yes, can do it at the comfort of your own home.

Depending on what you want from the card. For me, I'll just keep at least one tablet plan which I can conveniently pop into a dual SIM phone, get the network, and use the data without having to do anything else. Oh, no one has tried making calls with this? I've only tried calling but didn't wait for it to be picked up. If can, and one doesn't need the free weekend data from Fast...
what88 likes this.
Old 17-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #4225

TBS, no idea... maybe U Mobile or DiGi Live from the newstand or 7-Eleven if it's there. If your coach makes a break stop at Lucky Garden (Yong Peng), there's a DiGi booth there.

Maxis Hotlink Fast.
in kl there are many places that you can get at official retail prices: kk mart, mynews.

or you can take train to midvalley for digi flagship store or to kl sentral for maxis.
thanks for the input
Habrosus likes this.
fifoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #4226
Supremacy Member

Whether to set to partner network when we're roaming

To cut a long story short, I noticed a deduction on a card and was told it's for data roaming, though the option has never been put on in any of my phones. Their proof is that I was hooked on their roaming partner's network.

I recall that when I once set the network for a U Mobile card to Singtel/M1 instead of Starhub, I received a message saying that I'll not be able to use data roaming if I'm not on their partner's network.

Now I'm thinking of changing all my cards to networks other than their partners'. Do you think this is feasible?

Anyone knows?
Old 18-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #4227

To cut a long story short, I noticed a deduction on a card and was told it's for data roaming, though the option has never been put on in any of my phones. Their proof is that I was hooked on their roaming partner's network.

I recall that when I once set the network for a U Mobile card to Singtel/M1 instead of Starhub, I received a message saying that I'll not be able to use data roaming if I'm not on their partner's network.

Now I'm thinking of changing all my cards to networks other than their partners'. Do you think this is feasible?

Anyone knows?
i thought you dont like umobile?

malaysian cards are notorious for auto ppu data roaming and missing credits. at least in singapore, we can turn off mobile data and data roaming from telco end. in malaysia, they wont let you do that for an obvious reason

i was transiting in hk once, i turned on my smartphone with hotlink in it. while scanning for network, my credits were deducted. i figured that during scanning and handshake, some packets were exchanged and this was counted by maxis as valid data use even though mobile data was switched off.

if you change to non partner, you could be slapped with higher charges. but it might work for umobile prepaid. they have this daily data roaming flat charge for a number of countries which singapore is among them, and you are supposed to be locked out from non-preferred partners.

if i need to turn on my malaysian number for any reason, a safer way that i have been using is to put the card into an old school phone. but then again singapore is stopping 2g service soon! perhaps i would need to hook up to indonesian 2g

perhaps you should stick to xox

Last edited by kitkat2; 18-11-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Old 18-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #4228

on umobile, if you have a newish phone, you can refrain from connecting to cellular network and use wifi calling instead.
Old 18-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #4229
Supremacy Member

Yes, finally put away the U Mobile card 2 weeks back when the last of the RM5 reload voucher was used up. The only thing I like about it is the double validity - RM5 gave me 10 days.

Anyway, said charge was from Celcom, quite a while back had another one and that's from DiGi. I thought putting it to 2G is good enough, but with the message I got from the U Mobile card, the idea of changing to a different network struck me.

Oh well... I actually have a few cards in hand, including that OneXOX card. Sometimes lazy to use it since I've to subscribe to a data pack in order to draw from the Season Pass. Been using the Pokemon plan lately.

Maybe I should consider giving up my Celcom prepaids, an XPAX24 and a Magic SIM...
Old 19-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #4230

Anyway, said charge was from Celcom, quite a while back had another one and that's from DiGi. I thought putting it to 2G is good enough, but with the message I got from the U Mobile card, the idea of changing to a different network struck me.
many malaysians on celcom postpaid have been slapped with rm38 charge for wonderoam when their phones connect foreign network even though data roaming was never switched on on their phones. even celcom users who live in jb are not spared. i hope you didnt lose as much as rm38

there are many more dirty tricks malaysian telcos employ to make your money disappear.

one of them is voicemail that is enabled by default by most, if not all telcos. if you use your malaysian number abroad, even briefly to check balance or receive sms, the telco will detect and remember your last location. after you switch off your phone and if you get an incoming call, be it spam or legitimate, it will go into voicemail and you will be charged airtime for incoming roaming call based on last detected country.

imagine a scenario like this. a malaysian on a tour to japan turn on his phone briefly to receive tac. upon his return home, he forgot to switch on his phone. his friends tried to call him frantically but got voicemail. the poor guy gets massive roaming charges for call rates to japan even he is back in malaysia

also, hotlink auto subscribes you to their caller ringtune which costs rm3 per month. so beware!
what88 likes this.

Last edited by kitkat2; 19-11-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.