Malaysia prepaid card

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
B careful when u buy SIM card in Malaysia. There r many ways they can cheat u. One common one is as if help u top up the card while registering the card for u. The card u buy would have some stored value and needs no top up. Ask for receipt and get them to show u the top up amount if you must do the top up

I doubt anyone can cheat you if you make the effort to check exactly what's in a new SIM pack, check online from the respective telco's website.

From there, if the cost is higher than the RRP, just have to get the breakdown from the dealer. Then, make the effort to check the status of the card by keying in the codes - check plan type, credit balance, data balance, validity, etc.

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how best to top up for umobile while in Singapore?

Sg debit card keep getting rejected when I use mobile app.

kitkat2

Reaction score

lazada, shopee. min topup of rm5 is offered.

or you could buy a credit share of rm1 on shopee if you just want to keep your number alive.

Last edited:

tomicaguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Onexox is nice as I could do top up using SG credit card through app.

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyone can cheat you if you make the effort to check exactly what's in a new SIM pack, check online from the respective telco's website.

From there, if the cost is higher than the RRP, just have to get the breakdown from the dealer. Then, make the effort to check the status of the card by keying in the codes - check plan type, credit balance, data balance, validity, etc.

Understand many tourists don't do checking and couldn't bother to do so when they buy the card from a flagship store such as UMobil or Maxis. There are people who will think that they have used up the stored value very quickly

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.sg/2018/02/buying-sim-cards-in-malaysia.html

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
Singapore also will cheat you, if you buy prepaid card from HDB shops, some will charge you $2-$4 above the price (say $8 sim card they charge you $10-$12). You can actually/easily get the $8 at $8 price at 7-11.

If you buy from Singapore, they will have to add in cost for handling and also GST etc. $2 to $4/= considered reasonable.. if you are not in a hurry, good to buy from Malaysia.. prepaid cards are everywhere, even in 7-11 stores. No need the top ups if you are the average user. Even if needed, just download their phone apps and use credit card to top up.
Presently, a lot of goodies; for example, for Maxis, the use of Whatsapps is free.

Last edited:

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score

Some companies don't like debit cards. What about VISA credit cards? Rejected also?

kitkat2

Reaction score
Some companies don't like debit cards. What about VISA credit cards? Rejected also?

to the merchant, there is little if not no difference between debit and credit cards. the problem is many malaysian companies don't accept foreign cards online. typical KS. KS for kia see!

and topping off telcos themselves are a disadvantage as:
1. you don't get discounts.
2. they insist on big denominations. min is usually rm10. you need only rm3 or rm5 if you are topping to keep your number alive.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
to the merchant, there is little if not no difference between debit and credit cards. the problem is many malaysian companies don't accept foreign cards online. typical KS. KS for kia see!

and topping off telcos themselves are a disadvantage as:
1. you don't get discounts.
2. they insist on big denominations. min is usually rm10. you need only rm3 or rm5 if you are topping to keep your number alive.

U Mobile accepts only VISA and AmExpress but not Debit cards
https://store.u.com.my/en/home/public-prepaid-top-up
Maxis accepts Credit and Debit cards but not AmExpress..

Think it is up to the Service Providers

One can use Recharge for topping up U Mobile, Maxis, Celcom etc which can accept PayPal if you have one.

https://www.recharge.com/en/malaysi...kKJt2CtzqcXCMbSHHvS0DHkQCH3NyG2RoCLP0QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

kitkat2

Reaction score
GLwVJzU.jpg

i know maxis accepts some singapore cards but does it accept all foreign card i don't know. celcom, digi, and umobile don't accept non-malaysian cards.

again, you should only reload directly from the telco as the last resort. there are cheaper options elsewhere.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, just do whatever you feel more comfortable with, and at the same time accept that others may not prefer the way you do/like? :)

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

simplest would be to buy the top up cards and then use when needed.

VideoGameKingdom

Reaction score
Got scammed by the store at the jb customs bus terminal. Please be ware when buying from them prepaid card.

They sold me hotlink SIM card and implied it came with 1.5gb data and 8.7gb Facebook data and 5rm credits that last 7 days and showed me the red app with the total amount of 5rm credit with 10.3gb data. Lies

It was my first time buying a overseas prepaid Sim and I realised that I could click the data and it expanded to what’s the allocated rate of data.
Vcferyf.jpg

It was only the starter pack with 300mb that expires in 2 days that retails for 10rm.

Paying 10rm more is ard $3+ and not a lot, I wouldn’t be that angry if he told me it was the starter pack with what it had but he lied and I ***** hate scammers.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Got scammed by the store at the jb customs bus terminal. Please be ware when buying from them prepaid card.

They sold me hotlink SIM card and implied it came with 1.5gb data and 8.7gb Facebook data and 5rm credits that last 7 days and showed me the red app with the total amount of 5rm credit with 10.3gb data. Lies

It was my first time buying a overseas prepaid Sim and I realised that I could click the data and it expanded to what’s the allocated rate of data.
Vcferyf.jpg

It was only the starter pack with 300mb that expires in 2 days that retails for 10rm.

Paying 10rm more is ard $3+ and not a lot, I wouldn’t be that angry if he told me it was the starter pack with what it had but he lied and I ***** hate scammers.

got scammed with similar trick i think.. since not rly sure wat talking u.

i reported to their msia authorities. maxis refund me the rm10 by crediting it into my maxis number

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.