Malaysia prepaid card

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like for long term users, might be better to look for prepaid cards from a traditional telco? MVNO ones may just close down, leaving your balance subject to their mercy.

The attractive thing about TRON was its long validity date. The traditional telco like DIGI and MAXi has short validity for their prepaid.

So it means every trip you make you have to get a new prepaid.

choowt

Reaction score
The attractive thing about TRON was its long validity date. The traditional telco like DIGI and MAXi has short validity for their prepaid.

So it means every trip you make you have to get a new prepaid.

After reading through the previous postings, I thought if you want long validity, ONEXOX is the way to go, isn't it? It will last for 28 months and you only need to care about purchasing another card 28 months later. To preserve your unused data plan, purchasing SEASON PASS is the way to go, correct? A typical one day trip in JB (assuming normal whatsapp, facebook, google map, google search & etc) will probably consume no more than 500 MB to 1 GB of data. As such, you only need to withdraw 500 MB or 1 GB each time from your SEASON PASS. With a 10 GB SEASON PASS, it will last you at least 10 times (assuming you are withdrawing 1 GB per visit) before you need to top up. With certain HAPPY HOUR promotion, you can even get 10GB + 2GB + 100 minutes package at RM 50 (though normally the promotion is 10GB + 100 minutes).

To prolong the validity even further, I thought there is an option to pay RM 18 (6 months) and RM 25 (12 months). If convenience is most important (e.g. avoid the need to find and purchase new package, activate & etc), I feel that ONEXOX will serve the purpose though I think from previous posting, quite a number like the Digi prepaid plan. Isn't having the need to remember extending the validity every 90/75 days a hassle as compared having to purchase a new card after 28 months (assuming you don't want to extend the validity by purchasing the RM18 or RM25 option)?

Can those on Digi plan enlighten me as to why Digi could be better than ONEXOX assuming validity is the number one priority? ONEXOX is riding on Celcom network and according to OpenSignal report, I don't think it is doing too badly as compared to the other operators.

azores85

Reaction score
After reading through the previous postings, I thought if you want long validity, ONEXOX is the way to go, isn't it? It will last for 28 months and you only need to care about purchasing another card 28 months later. To preserve your unused data plan, purchasing SEASON PASS is the way to go, correct? A typical one day trip in JB (assuming normal whatsapp, facebook, google map, google search & etc) will probably consume no more than 500 MB to 1 GB of data. As such, you only need to withdraw 500 MB or 1 GB each time from your SEASON PASS. With a 10 GB SEASON PASS, it will last you at least 10 times (assuming you are withdrawing 1 GB per visit) before you need to top up. With certain HAPPY HOUR promotion, you can even get 10GB + 2GB + 100 minutes package at RM 50 (though normally the promotion is 10GB + 100 minutes).

To prolong the validity even further, I thought there is an option to pay RM 18 (6 months) and RM 25 (12 months). If convenience is most important (e.g. avoid the need to find and purchase new package, activate & etc), I feel that ONEXOX will serve the purpose though I think from previous posting, quite a number like the Digi prepaid plan. Isn't having the need to remember extending the validity every 90/75 days a hassle as compared having to purchase a new card after 28 months (assuming you don't want to extend the validity by purchasing the RM18 or RM25 option)?

Can those on Digi plan enlighten me as to why Digi could be better than ONEXOX assuming validity is the number one priority? ONEXOX is riding on Celcom network and according to OpenSignal report, I don't think it is doing too badly as compared to the other operators.

If you're looking at validity, no doubt XOX is better.

On the other hand, Digi's internet is often cheaper on a per GB basis and based on my own experience, Digi's 4G coverage in JB is way better (especially indoors i.e. malls) than Celcom; wouldn't trust opensignal too much on this one.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am not familiar with ONEXOX and was just looking at the traditional telco. I also only used my M'sia SIM in Genting and want a convenient way to top up my SIM card without going online. So my only option was DIGI and Maxim.

I need to find out more about ONEXOX. Thanks for the info.

limchooc

Reaction score
rtnPZtEl.jpg

Just return back from Malaysia for my 6 days trip. Use this card with addition 1GB top up for RM10. So total RM8 (300MB) + RM10 (1GB) = RM18 (1.3GB).

Sufficient for the whole family use for 6 days without streaming, i.e. only whatsapp, email, internet, Google Map, social media etc.

The best part is free daily 1GB from 1 pm to 7 pm. However, checking on the balance with SMS is a headache. The balance reported just not make sense some time. But overall I am happy with this package compare to my past experience. :s13:

Last edited:

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a general question about prepaid cards and the associated apps.

Do I need to load the prepaid sim card into the smartphone to manage the sim card account? Or can I do it on another smartphone?

Say if I load in OneXOX prepaid card into my mum's dumb phone, can I manage the account (eg top up, extend validity) for her using the OneXOX apps on my own smartphone?

tth1311

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if using USSD code, then SIM needs to be in the calling phone,
if using internet to their web, needs to register and log in to purchase

choowt

Reaction score
I got a general question about prepaid cards and the associated apps.

Do I need to load the prepaid sim card into the smartphone to manage the sim card account? Or can I do it on another smartphone?

Say if I load in OneXOX prepaid card into my mum's dumb phone, can I manage the account (eg top up, extend validity) for her using the OneXOX apps on my own smartphone?

For OneXOX, you can manage the account/line via web selfcare or the mobile app. You will need to register for an account (with email/password) on first usage which will tie to your OneXOX line. It will send a PIN/TAC to that line for confirmation. Upon registration, you just need to login using your email/password to enter the website or app. You will not need to insert the prepaid SIM card into a mobile phone to manage the account/profile of that line. The account can also manage multiple sublines (i.e. you have another OneXOX SIM cards) for top up, SEASON PASS subscription/withdrawal & etc. You can of course manage the line account via USSD but the SIM card will need to be inserted into a mobile phone.

I usually travel into Malaysia once every 2 -3 months for short holiday or one day shopping/makan trip. I drive and rely on Waze/Google Map for driving direction. Having access to mobile data in Malaysia even before clearing custom is important to me as I don't want the hassle of having the need to find/buy a new mobile prepaid package every time I enter Malaysia (aka long validity). My practice is to withdraw from my line's OneXOX SEASON PASS package, 500 MB or 1 GB each trip (which is for 30 days period). The good thing about SEASON PASS is that if you think the mobile data that you have withdrawn for the trip is not enough, you can withdraw additional data and addon (instantaneously) to the original data withdrawn earlier (e.g. first withdraw is 1GB (to last 30 days), you monitor and realize that 300 MB is left on second day, do an data addon of 500MB and you will have 800MB (to last for the next 29 days). For those who enter Malaysia frequently for holiday or shopping trips (and especially drivers who rely on online navigation tools), I think SEASON PASS is a good idea as it is used how much, withdraw how much and save the rest for future usage.

For top up, you can do it via OneXOX web selfcare, mobile app, USSD or my own preference is e-pay (e-pay.com.my). I use Youtrip card to save on foreign exchange/bank charges as OneXOX channels can only accept my Singapore bank issued credit card but not Youtrip card. Digi prepaid mobile data plans look interesting but if I don't think I will be untilizing all the data given within one day (I'm in Malaysia for holiday/makan/shopping and not look at mobile phone, watching video/instagram/facebook all the time), I think SEASON PASS will serve my purpose.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For OneXOX, you can manage the account/line via web selfcare or the mobile app. You will need to register for an account (with email/password) on first usage which will tie to your OneXOX line. It will send a PIN/TAC to that line for confirmation. Upon registration, you just need to login using your email/password to enter the website or app. You will not need to insert the prepaid SIM card into a mobile phone to manage the account/profile of that line. The account can also manage multiple sublines (i.e. you have another OneXOX SIM cards) for top up, SEASON PASS subscription/withdrawal & etc. You can of course manage the line account via USSD but the SIM card will need to be inserted into a mobile phone.

Thanks so much for the explanation!

But this sounds like something you should only do in M'sia rt? If you try to do that in Spore, I read that you will be charged RM2.50 for the PIN. Correct?

You dun use the OneXOX apps?

choowt

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the explanation!

But this sounds like something you should only do in M'sia rt? If you try to do that in Spore, I read that you will be charged RM2.50 for the PIN. Correct?

You dun use the OneXOX apps?

I cannot remember whether I'm charged for the PIN/TAC upon the initial registration but the system definitely needs to tie/verify that you are the owner of the line with the account via PIN/TAC. Once inside the web selfcare portal or mobile app, you will be able to see your details in "My Profile" as you need to supply your details (e.g. Passport, address) when purchasing the package. I do use the mobile app to perform tasks such as top-up (enter the 16 digits pass code upon purchasing top-up (e.g. RM 10) via e-pay), season pass data subscription/stop renewal & etc.

I think you can perform most of the tasks (or maybe all?) via mobile app though I'm more of a USSD guy. I do have another OneXOX SIM card inserted into a mobile/wifi router for data sharing amongst my family members when in Malaysia. For that card, I have more data in SEASON PASS as I typically withdraw more mobile data as it is shared amongst 5 members. We will message via whatsapp or do whatsapp call thus so far I have not really touched on my voice and SMS credits.

Oinkize

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tron changed pattern again.

Please refer to their website for latest info: http://www.tron.com.my/

Just copied:

Impacted Services

i. MVN services will only be available till 30/12/2018.

ii. From 31/12/2018 till 30/1/2019, only domestic SMS for incoming/outgoing and domestic incoming voice call are available for port out purpose to other telcos.

iii. On 31/1/2019, MVN service will be permanently shut down.

Service continuity options

Subscriber may choose from the options:

i. Direct Port-in to Tron collaboration party to retain their current number & services, following the Port-in Standard Procedures with terms & conditions. (Priority)

ii. Port-out to other Telco to retain their current number or,

iii. Terminate their existing MVN services from Tron, following the refund standard
procedures.

Subscribers who do not select any options from the above before 31/1/2019, their MVN service will be terminated permanently.

I tried to email them as i can't use the direct port option.

I can't port to xox for sg sellers as i require to respond to an sms sent to tron to acknowledge that i am porting but tron can't roam.

Looks like i need to go in jb to port instead.

I need a prepaid with long validity.

Willing to pay to extend validity 365.

As of now only digi has that option?

Another other recommendations where in jb i can port and which operator and prepaid sim pack to port to?

Thanks in advanced.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried to email them as i can't use the direct port option.

I can't port to xox for sg sellers as i require to respond to an sms sent to tron to acknowledge that i am porting but tron can't roam.

Looks like i need to go in jb to port instead.

I need a prepaid with long validity.

Willing to pay to extend validity 365.

As of now only digi has that option?

Another other recommendations where in jb i can port and which operator and prepaid sim pack to port to?

Thanks in advanced.
From what I've read, they're hardly responding to anything these days...?

Porting, I see a problem coz like you know, we won't be able to receive/respond to the SMS to confirm porting out of Tron. I think this applies to porting here with the local OneXOX dealer, as well as going to Digi JB to port, since that SMS hardly arrive immediately or even the same day... For Tune Talk, they give us an option to buy the new SIM card first, then do the porting online and later inform them about wanting to use the new number... but again the SMS issue...

I'm in a similar situation and mindset as you, and haven't done anything yet except to try out refund last month which got an error message.

My tron is expiring in Jan'19. Can I still top up to extend its expiry? Anyone knows?
Check their website for the latest status. :)

Aresden

Reaction score
From what I've read, they're hardly responding to anything these days...?

Porting, I see a problem coz like you know, we won't be able to receive/respond to the SMS to confirm porting out of Tron. I think this applies to porting here with the local OneXOX dealer, as well as going to Digi JB to port, since that SMS hardly arrive immediately or even the same day... For Tune Talk, they give us an option to buy the new SIM card first, then do the porting online and later inform them about wanting to use the new number... but again the SMS issue...

I'm in a similar situation and mindset as you, and haven't done anything yet except to try out refund last month which got an error message.

Check their website for the latest status. :)

Try to camp at woodlands waterfront park(near msia) if u all need to connect to TRON network to reply the sms.
Based on my experience, the sms will arrive around 4.5 hours +/- after OneXOX(Celcom) inform TRON(Digi).

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try to camp at woodlands waterfront park(near msia) if u all need to connect to TRON network to reply the sms.
Based on my experience, the sms will arrive around 4.5 hours +/- after OneXOX(Celcom) inform TRON(Digi).

Thank you, will keep this in mind. :)

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
please what is a long life validlity Tron replacement

I personally won't call it a "Tron replacement", but you can consider getting a Digi (Live) prepaid SIM card.

Please refer to past few pages where there're posts on how you can keep the number at minimal cost. (I'm not a good source of information on this as I choose to pay for the optional 1-year validity extension known as Super Long Life.)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.