Malaysia prepaid card

Like Tree1972Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #6601
Master Member

is digi good in kl?
quackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #6602

looks like tunetalk's port in promo that was supposed to end by july 31 has been extended till further notice

kitkat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #6603
Supremacy Member

Reached JB by bus around 9.30 pm last Friday, the pushcart shops and 7-11 at JB Sentral said they cannot sell the prepaid card at night after certain timing because they cannot do the registration. I needed internet to book a Grab ride to Sutera area ( RM$17 ) and sadly could not find wifi at City Square or Komtar JBCC. So no choice, took one of the taxi lined outside Komtar, trip was around RM$25.

So fast forward, in KL on Saturday night, Bukit Bintang, Alor Street, I was still determined to get a prepaid card for convenience sake. Encountered make shift stalls that are selling starter pack for higher prices. I know how much is each telco's starter pack price as I saved it on my phone so I just refuse to buy anything for RM$15.00 -RM$18.50 when it cost only RM$8.00 - RM8.50.

Found a convenience store ( forgot is it 7-11 or the other one ) which carries U Mobile cards. The cashier said I have to buy the RM$18.50 if I want data ( 200 MB only ) and if i get the RM$8.50 starter pack - it does not come with any data.

Seriously, if I didn't know better, I would have paid RM$18.50. But luckily I have bought the RM$8.50 pack before in KSL in May and know it comes with a bundled 200MB data.

This is the kind of gimmick that one may encounter if they are not familiar with the prices... I refuse to pay extra $10 for the starter pack and told the guy I wanted my prepaid card without data at the published price on the pack.

When I insert the card into my phone and opened up the umobile app to check, it has data contrary to what the guy claimed.

BTW, for short trips of 1-3 days, U Mobile has promotions at Tesco, selling starter packs for only RM3! ( my cousins snapped 4 packs when they were in KSL JB )

Starter Packs RRP ( As of 29 July 2018 )
Celcom - Xpax RM$10
Maxis - Hotlink RM$10
Digi Prepaid Live RM$8
U Mobile RM$8.50

My trip ended up being 5 days, so my U Mobile 200 MB data and credit were all used up. Bought Xpax from the official Celcom store in NU Sentral, Lvl 2 ( KL Sentral ). Should have bought Xpax from Day 1 if I could since I can choose either 10GB Facebook or 10GB Instagram freebies. I think that's great for instagram heavy users like me.
May I know which shop in KSL or City Square can be trusted to buy the 8.50 one?

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010 using GAGT
Villas-Boas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #6604

May I know which shop in KSL or City Square can be trusted to buy the 8.50 one?

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010 using GAGT
Buy from KSL Tesco at the basement - U Mobile cards will be at the staff counter ( and cashiers too )

With Tesco member card, you can even buy it at RM$3 instead of RM$8.50 with any Tesco purchase.
eosfoto likes this.
wolfie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #6605
Supremacy Member

Buy from KSL Tesco at the basement - U Mobile cards will be at the staff counter ( and cashiers too )

With Tesco member card, you can even buy it at RM$3 instead of RM$8.50 with any Tesco purchase.
Thank you so much. Will head there and try.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:50 AM   #6606
Supremacy Member

Going for a day trip. Is the 8rm digi marked up at city square branch? If so then I should just get the 10rm Hotlink instead right?
hg_wng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #6607

What do people normally do for internet connection for day trips into JB?

Only for whatsapp and maps.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #6608
AS1
High Supremacy Member

What do people normally do for internet connection for day trips into JB?

Only for whatsapp and maps.
The cheap way is to get any Malaysia sim with data. The easy way is to get roaming sim from any local Telco like starhub happy roam and then select the plan you want.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #6609
Master Member

Reached JB by bus around 9.30 pm last Friday, the pushcart shops and 7-11 at JB Sentral said they cannot sell the prepaid card at night after certain timing because they cannot do the registration. I needed internet to book a Grab ride to Sutera area ( RM$17 ) and sadly could not find wifi at City Square or Komtar JBCC. So no choice, took one of the taxi lined outside Komtar, trip was around RM$25.

So fast forward, in KL on Saturday night, Bukit Bintang, Alor Street, I was still determined to get a prepaid card for convenience sake. Encountered make shift stalls that are selling starter pack for higher prices. I know how much is each telco's starter pack price as I saved it on my phone so I just refuse to buy anything for RM$15.00 -RM$18.50 when it cost only RM$8.00 - RM8.50.

Found a convenience store ( forgot is it 7-11 or the other one ) which carries U Mobile cards.The cashier said I have to buy the RM$18.50 if I want data ( 200 MB only ) and if i get the RM$8.50 starter pack - it does not come with any data.

Seriously, if I didn't know better, I would have paid RM$18.50. But luckily I have bought the RM$8.50 pack before in KSL in May and know it comes with a bundled 200MB data.

This is the kind of gimmick that one may encounter if they are not familiar with the prices... I refuse to pay extra $10 for the starter pack and told the guy I wanted my prepaid card without data at the published price on the pack.

When I insert the card into my phone and opened up the umobile app to check, it has data contrary to what the guy claimed.

BTW, for short trips of 1-3 days, U Mobile has promotions at Tesco, selling starter packs for only RM3! ( my cousins snapped 4 packs when they were in KSL JB )

Starter Packs RRP ( As of 29 July 2018 )
Celcom - Xpax RM$10
Maxis - Hotlink RM$10
Digi Prepaid Live RM$8
U Mobile RM$8.50

My trip ended up being 5 days, so my U Mobile 200 MB data and credit were all used up. Bought Xpax from the official Celcom store in NU Sentral, Lvl 2 ( KL Sentral ). Should have bought Xpax from Day 1 if I could since I can choose either 10GB Facebook or 10GB Instagram freebies. I think that's great for instagram heavy users like me.
Can i know did they ask for your passport when you purchase the U Mobile RM8.50 SIM Card?

ur cousin bought 4 packs of these? - don't they come with expiry dates?
tiertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #6610
Arch-Supremacy Member

what sim card best to use for weekend JB getaway?
YouHeypiCanLiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #6611

what sim card best to use for weekend JB getaway?
i thought you said you have digi in another thread?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #6612
Arch-Supremacy Member

i thought you said you have digi in another thread?
i bought 2 weeks back... still can top up?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #6613

i bought 2 weeks back... still can top up?
why not? is it not working now?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #6614
Arch-Supremacy Member

why not? is it not working now?
I'm in SG.. can check meh?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #6615
Supremacy Member

I'm in SG.. can check meh?
*128#
Account Info
etc
YouHeypiCanLiao likes this.
Habrosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.