HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Malaysia prepaid card

Like Tree2002Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #7096

@really_noob I tried looking around in the hotlink red app, but can't find any ASEAN roaming option, how to activate it?
Yes, like what others have said. No need to activate, just turn it on and use. I don't think there's a need to set the preferred network etc.

Hotlink user here too. The customer service is really gd, recently ported stored value from my old FAST plan number to my new plan number, the guy was really fast, efficient and friendly.

Totally didn't know about the ASEAN Roaming, thanks for the tip off~!

If you think about it, just topping up the daily pass 3RM for 2GB everyday, you'll get 60GB for 90RM (30SGDapprox), that's really insane...
I like the daily pass. I don't bother with hotel wifi anymore. Buy a daily pass at RM3, add on the free Youtube pack thing. Like that hard to finish the 2GB in 24 hours. Still can hotspot, something which you can't do while roaming on a SG line. It's still a lot of money if you're a JHK earning in RM though.

The silly thing is on my 2D1N trips,
Day 1 7am: Buy one daily pass. Valid until Day 2 6.59am.
If I decide to buy another daily pass to cover Day 2 before I go to bed on Day 1, say at Day 1 11pm, then I have two packs running, with the latest one until Day 2 11pm.
The packs doesn't stack on top of each other, meaning although I bought the second pack at Day 1 11pm, it doesn't start after the first one expires at 6.59am.
So pay RM6 but get a bit less than 48 hours of usage although technically it is possible if I wake up early on Day 2.

Overall, the savings is significant and benefits are great with a MY prepaid card vs subscribing to data roaming on my M1 line or using a SG prepaid card. Worth the hassle of buying top up vouchers on each trip and changing SIM cards.
really_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #7097

I see, thanks for the headsup, you guys are the gurus yo~!
Heading over to indonesia in march, gonna give this ASEAN roaming a shot.
21Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #7098

Just found/tried this over the weekend:
The hotlink red app has a rewards sections where you can redeem deals for points you accumulate (mostly through top ups).

Quite a few nice small deals, I got the free one for one auntie annie's pretzel. (always a gd thing to buy in jb That makes the cost of one pretzel sg ard 70cents, not bad.

Next one gonna try the free mac ice-cream cone (no purchase conditions yay!).
21Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #7099

Gents,

Bought a new prepaid DIGI best for corner shop ran by a Blanga in KL. Everything is good except the mobile no was blocked by grab. Tried appeal to grab but was rejected.

1 question. Would it be easy to setup the prepaid card say I bought the DIGI live now and activate it and use it 2mths later?
aquanark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #7100
Supremacy Member

Just found/tried this over the weekend:
The hotlink red app has a rewards sections where you can redeem deals for points you accumulate (mostly through top ups).

Quite a few nice small deals, I got the free one for one auntie annie's pretzel. (always a gd thing to buy in jb That makes the cost of one pretzel sg ard 70cents, not bad.

Next one gonna try the free mac ice-cream cone (no purchase conditions yay!).
The reward points can be accumulated by going into the app daily to claim, don't need to rely on topping up.

I walked into McD just to claim the ice cream for a friend and yes, no purchase required. There's a sundae thingy but had to claim the voucher from a Maxis outlet first, and it's OOS at the mall we're in. Also myNews coke or green tea and stuff at discounted prices. Quite a few offers, good for regular visitors who don't mind having fast foods.
Habrosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #7101
Supremacy Member

Gents,

Bought a new prepaid DIGI best for corner shop ran by a Blanga in KL. Everything is good except the mobile no was blocked by grab. Tried appeal to grab but was rejected.

1 question. Would it be easy to setup the prepaid card say I bought the DIGI live now and activate it and use it 2mths later?
Can still use that number if you want, just use another number (even an SG number) to sign for that Grab account. Whenever you book, just put a Note that your contact number is the Digi number.

I sometimes switch my Malaysian SIM cards so number may be different from the Grab account in a particular phone I use. I just put in the Note "Tel No. 01x-xxxx-xxxx".

AFAIK, you can activate the Digi SIM card sometime after (before the Activate By/Before date printed on the pack), if it's not already activated by the dealer (not many will give you the card before activating). But I personally feel there's a risk if the registration isn't done properly or completed, and you only realize months later when you try to activate the card. Then you'll have to go back to that dealer or a Digi Store/Center to get it registered.
what88 likes this.

Last edited by Habrosus; 28-02-2019 at 08:09 AM..
Old 28-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #7102

Gents,

Probably a recycled number problem? There's always that small risk regardless of where you buy it from, unless you can be sure you're getting a brand new number.

I use my SG Grab account in MY. Lazy to create new account on the new number. Didn't put my MY number when I book in MY either, the driver can always text or call in the app like what they have done. I prefer texting because it eliminates the language barrier with the auto translation. My Hotlink I only buy data bundle. If the driver contact me outside of the app, I have to pay from my credits. I use my credits to call to make reservation at a nice restaurant better la.
Old 28-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #7103
Supremacy Member

... If the driver contact me outside of the app, I have to pay from my credits. ...
Incoming call is FOC.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #7104
High Supremacy Member

Need something for about 5 days in Genting. Basically data plan for social media stuff and whatsapp. Looking at around 3Gb like that.

I read that you can download an app so don't have to physically swap SIM cards?

Any prepaid or whatever to recommend? Plan to buy in Malaysia.
kosongice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #7105
High Supremacy Member

Need something for about 5 days in Genting. Basically data plan for social media stuff and whatsapp. Looking at around 3Gb like that.

I read that you can download an app so don't have to physically swap SIM cards?

Any prepaid or whatever to recommend? Plan to buy in Malaysia.
I was using umobile previously, not too good cos poor connection at many places, even on ns hwy. now am using xox. No probs so far. Bought from a dealer here. Cannot remember how much it cost for a new prepaid xox line but it has more than 12 months validity.

Been told that Digi has better offers/ deals. Do compare both b4 deciding.
koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:47 PM   #7106
High Supremacy Member

I'm on hotlink. Happy with what I've got so far. I go in once a month on average, or at least once every two months. So the part about the card going inactive and subsequently expire unless you top up doesn't really bother me, I just monitor. Even if I don't go, my family member will go and will borrow my SIM card, since it's cheaper than the SG prepaid card for day trips.

I checked out Digi and I told the guy mine is mostly day trips. He said Digi doesn't have one day package, so he send me over to his competitor, Maxis. He even pointed out the Maxis store to me! I was a bit shocked because you won't get such things in SG - like a Starhub staff telling you they don't have what you want, go to Singtel and see.

The Maxis girl was not bad, explained to me how everything works regarding the inactive and expiry, help me to download the app, top up etc. I used to top up on the app using my SG credit card RM10 each time, then realise a bit wasteful because I only spend RM3 out of the RM10 and suffer credit card exchange rates.
So I just buy the RM5 voucher from those convenience store, before going in then activate again.

Best part with Hotlink (I dunno about the others) is you get ASEAN Roaming at RM10 per day max. Great for trips to Indonesia and Bangkok. Our local telcos data roaming plans really CMI.
Got play those top up , expiry thingy ?
YouHeypiCanLiao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:53 PM   #7107

Got play those top up , expiry thingy ?
Huh? Sorry I don't understand your question.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #7108
High Supremacy Member

Huh? Sorry I don't understand your question.
do you need to top up occasionally to maintain it?
YouHeypiCanLiao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #7109

do you need to top up occasionally to maintain it?
Yes you'll need to. Basically when you top up RM10, you get 10 days validity (basically RM1 per day).
After the 10 days, it goes into inactive mode. Your remaining credit is still there but inactive. It will remain inactive for 90 days, after which your number and credits will be terminated (gone). To make it active again, you need to top up.

So if you go in and top up on average once a month, you can keep the SIM card active. That's why there's a long discussion on which SIM card offers a long validity in this thread.

All the dates, top up, buy data bundle, you can do in the app.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #7110

Guys, just need 1 day trip data. What should I use?
bueysongLaiQikuamai is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.