Malaysia prepaid card

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought a #hotlink prepaid card for RM20 when I was in Malacca over the Good Friday weekend.

the shop asst said I can keep using the same number so long as I top up RM10 every 50 days.

how do I go about doing this? writing my number on the notebook thingy and pay RM10?

I'm not sure how/why you've been asked to top up RM10 every 50 days, other than the "50 days non-active period" after which your SIM card cannot be used at all.

Some of these retailers sell prepaid cards without full knowledge of what exactly it involves, so they might just give you the rough info and/or even wrong info. My preference is, as far as possible, get the cards only from their main outlets - Maxis Centre, for example, (in Mahkota Parade Melaka) for Maxis Hotlink prepaid cards. You can also go through their website to understand the terms better.

http://www.hotlink.com.my/en/plans/free-internet.html

There are various methods to top-up a prepaid card. For Hotlink, as an example, you can buy the reload vouchers from Maxis Centres or their retailers, or 7-Eleven outlets to do it on your own phone, or do e-reload at the retail shops.

Maxis has an online forum where you can seek help from the customer service staff too. https://forum.maxis.com.my/

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maxis Hotlink Top-Up

For Hotlink top-up, I normal just top up RM5 if it's just a day-trip say, to JB. After the validity period, you'll be given 50 days' non-active period in which you can't call nor message, but can receive calls & messages.

If you want to continue using the same card/number, you've to activate the card with another reload within those 50 days.

Thus the "reload every 50 days", I guess. As to why RM10 was the amount advised, I guess it's according to the user's needs, if it's not because the shopkeeper just throw a round figure. :s11:

critical888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
first get a tron as a basic card anyday go in also have credit coz once reload 365 days + 1 day 1rm internet, no brainer almost..

next when inside, get another other card as extra, use n throw.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
first get a tron as a basic card anyday go in also have credit coz once reload 365 days + 1 day 1rm internet, no brainer almost..

next when inside, get another other card as extra, use n throw.

He's already mentioned that he wants a prepaid card that has autoroam option.

Tron can't. Maybe you'd like to ask him why he wants to autoroam, instead? :s22:

Ok thanks. Planning to get the 10.50RM card if I remember correct that is the best value for money card rite?

Which RM10.50 is that? DigiBest the yellow one? If so, the price of starter pack has changed to RM11.50 now, though they've also increased the initial free Internet to 500MB for 7 days (used to be something like 200MB/2 days). Depending if you want to continue using the SIM card for your subsequent visits, this one gives you the option to extend the validity at RM30/year, or you can choose to reload when required.

Or you may be referring to Maxis Hotlink which is RM10 now, or Celcom XPAX (not sure how much now), or U Mobile (cheapest RM8 option to pick up from their 7-Eleven outlet).

Are you more into calls or Internet, or just want a card for standby (Whatsapp and the likes)?

Once again, I'd recommend SIM cards according to fellow-members' actual needs, not because I'm affiliated to any of these telcos/retailers, or selling their cards. :s8:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3rd Party Deductions from Celcom XPAX SIM Card

Anyone with a Celcom XPAX card has noticed any deductions from your account? These are mainly from 3rd party content service providers, from what I understand so far.

I've had my card for about 1.5 years and only recently got these. Sent a feedback last month, and someone called me to say there're 2, one of which they could/had stopped while I'd to stop the other from my phone to a 5-digit number they gave me. Strangely, I checked my messages and couldn't find any such thing.

It's happened again these couple of days, and I've sent yet another feedback.

Just a couple of RM each time, but if this card doesn't allow autoroaming, then I won't be able to check the balance amount without going out to find a network that works. Then by the time I want to use the card, I'll have to get another top-up again. :s22:

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ya i want autoroam

O so now up price ar, no wonder i cant find anymore. I remember is Digi(i was having one that time when i have a KL gf but after broke i "throw away" the number liao. lol

Just wan autoroam for bank to contact though is not a need but i feel better to have one. And since i go in quite often( at least 2 time a mth)
im more to internet( recently addicted to a game so always need internet for my game and also watsapp and perhaps google and hwz? haha)

ya i know u are a regular in malaysia. saw u got alot post in this forum :D
So now is digi still the best choice?

Maxis Hotlink Celcom XPAX and U Mobile all got internet? Since U mobile is cheapest, is this internet and calls also cheapest?

Not really familiar or heard of this U mobile. haha

He's already mentioned that he wants a prepaid card that has autoroam option.

Tron can't. Maybe you'd like to ask him why he wants to autoroam, instead? :s22:

Which RM10.50 is that? DigiBest the yellow one? If so, the price of starter pack has changed to RM11.50 now, though they've also increased the initial free Internet to 500MB for 7 days (used to be something like 200MB/2 days). Depending if you want to continue using the SIM card for your subsequent visits, this one gives you the option to extend the validity at RM30/year, or you can choose to reload when required.

Or you may be referring to Maxis Hotlink which is RM10 now, or Celcom XPAX (not sure how much now), or U Mobile (cheapest RM8 option to pick up from their 7-Eleven outlet).

Are you more into calls or Internet, or just want a card for standby (Whatsapp and the likes)?

Once again, I'd recommend SIM cards according to fellow-members' actual needs, not because I'm affiliated to any of these telcos/retailers, or selling their cards. :s8:

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
O since this celcom no autoroam then i dun consider this liao
Anyone with a Celcom XPAX card has noticed any deductions from your account? These are mainly from 3rd party content service providers, from what I understand so far.

I've had my card for about 1.5 years and only recently got these. Sent a feedback last month, and someone called me to say there're 2, one of which they could/had stopped while I'd to stop the other from my phone to a 5-digit number they gave me. Strangely, I checked my messages and couldn't find any such thing.

It's happened again these couple of days, and I've sent yet another feedback.

Just a couple of RM each time, but if this card doesn't allow autoroaming, then I won't be able to check the balance amount without going out to find a network that works. Then by the time I want to use the card, I'll have to get another top-up again. :s22:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ya i want autoroam

O so now up price ar, no wonder i cant find anymore. I remember is Digi(i was having one that time when i have a KL gf but after broke i "throw away" the number liao. lol

Just wan autoroam for bank to contact though is not a need but i feel better to have one. And since i go in quite often( at least 2 time a mth)
im more to internet( recently addicted to a game so always need internet for my game and also watsapp and perhaps google and hwz? haha)

ya i know u are a regular in malaysia. saw u got alot post in this forum :D
So now is digi still the best choice?

Maxis Hotlink Celcom XPAX and U Mobile all got internet? Since U mobile is cheapest, is this internet and calls also cheapest?

Not really familiar or heard of this U mobile. haha
Not sure about call rates for the others, but I mainly use my DigiBest card for calls and SMS, and sometimes Internet. Got it because it's the option to extend validity for a year at RM30, and at that time looked like it's one of the cheapest call & SMS rates. Its daily MI rate is RM3, compared to XPAX's RM5, so I use DigiBest instead of XPAX if I don't expect to use much for a particular day.

U Mobile doesn't have daily mobile internet plan, so I normally just use pay-per-use (PPU).

For heavier data usage, I turn to my Hotlink or XPAX cards.

DigiBest - RM3 for 150MB
Celcom XPAX - RM5 for 300MB
Maxis Hotlink - RM3 for 150MB

From what I understand from the Malaysians I've encountered, Digi doesn't seem to have as good network as the other 2, but it should be alright if you're mainly in the city or bigger town areas. Ah, since you've used it before, you'd have experienced its strength in this area. My personal experience with it so far (over 6 months) has been alright. I've been using it to contact my JB friend whenever I'm there, and he uses Digi too. :)

I intend to check 4G data connection in JB some day, but not sure when as I still have a monthly XPAX MI package running at the moment.

U Mobile's starter pack is only RM8 from 7-Eleven outlets, if you want to try it out. It gives double-the-amount-validity, that is a reload of RM5 for 10 days, RM10 for 20 day, etc. If still unchanged, its inactive/grace period is 60 days.

O since this celcom no autoroam then i dun consider this liao
Celcom XPAX has autoroaming, and it's because of this autoroaming ability that lets me check my balance and thus discovered the missing amount.

Last edited:

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure about call rates for the others, but I mainly use my DigiBest card for calls and SMS, and sometimes Internet. Got it because it's the option to extend validity for a year at RM30, and at that time looked like it's one of the cheapest call & SMS rates. Its daily MI rate is RM3, compared to XPAX's RM5, so I use DigiBest instead of XPAX if I don't expect to use much for a particular day.

U Mobile doesn't have daily mobile internet plan, so I normally just use pay-per-use (PPU).

For heavier data usage, I turn to my Hotlink or XPAX cards.

DigiBest - RM3 for 150MB
Celcom XPAX - RM5 for 300MB
Maxis Hotlink - RM3 for 150MB

From what I understand from the Malaysians I've encountered, Digi doesn't seem to have as good network as the other 2, but it should be alright if you're mainly in the city or bigger town areas. Ah, since you've used it before, you'd have experienced its strength in this area. My personal experience with it so far (over 6 months) has been alright. I've been using it to contact my JB friend whenever I'm there, and he uses Digi too. :)

I intend to check 4G data connection in JB some day, but not sure when as I still have a monthly XPAX MI package running at the moment.

U Mobile's starter pack is only RM8 from 7-Eleven outlets, if you want to try it out. It gives double-the-amount-validity, that is a reload of RM5 for 10 days, RM10 for 20 day, etc. If still unchanged, its inactive/grace period is 60 days.

Celcom XPAX has autoroaming, and it's because of this autoroaming ability that lets me check my balance and thus discovered the missing amount.
o ok..

digi i used it 3 yr ago. only for my ex to contact me(sms) when i reaching and when i going back to sg. haha. IIRC its still ok cos not really use it frequent.

now i wan use is most of the time in CS or KSL or sentosa. But thinking of start exploring other plc like genting and KL also.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
o ok..

digi i used it 3 yr ago. only for my ex to contact me(sms) when i reaching and when i going back to sg. haha. IIRC its still ok cos not really use it frequent.

now i wan use is most of the time in CS or KSL or sentosa. But thinking of start exploring other plc like genting and KL also.

The other places should be alright, but I seem to read negative feedback with Digi's data network in Genting, though there are a couple of Digi shops there.

(Edit: Just read a feedback that someone with a U Mobile SIM couldn't surf in Genting, could only call. Your best bet there is Maxis Hotlink, but then you might not want to go to that expense unless you stay longer than a couple of days in Genting. =:p )

Oh yes, before I forget - some mobile internet plans will auto-renew after the one that you've subscribed to, expires. You'll have to disable the auto-renewal before the expiry date, otherwise it'll deduct your credit balance upon renewal.

Last edited:

BuGGi3

Master Member
Reaction score
The other places should be alright, but I seem to read negative feedback with Digi's data network in Genting, though there are a couple of Digi shops there.

(Edit: Just read a feedback that someone with a U Mobile SIM couldn't surf in Genting, could only call. Your best bet there is Maxis Hotlink, but then you might not want to go to that expense unless you stay longer than a couple of days in Genting. =:p )

Oh yes, before I forget - some mobile internet plans will auto-renew after the one that you've subscribed to, expires. You'll have to disable the auto-renewal before the expiry date, otherwise it'll deduct your credit balance upon renewal.

I stayed in FWH new annex tower 2 months back, no network for Digi for those rooms without view. Next day I went down to KL to get a hotlink card hoping that it works. There's reception but no bandwidth thus mobile data is almost not usable at all.

Gave up and I went down to the lobby's cafe to purchase a drink and was given 2-hrs wifi access (reasonable speed).

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I stayed in FWH new annex tower 2 months back, no network for Digi for those rooms without view. Next day I went down to KL to get a hotlink card hoping that it works. There's reception but no bandwidth thus mobile data is almost not usable at all.

Gave up and I went down to the lobby's cafe to purchase a drink and was given 2-hrs wifi access (reasonable speed).

I was there a year back, and was surfing away the whole time (playing a certain game too, as I was moving around =:p ).

Think I'd Maxis Hotlink, Celcom XPAX, and U Mobile at that time, and even got E on at least 1 line in my First World Club room on one of the top floors. Probably XPAX... can't remember exactly which already. :D

Edit: Just recalled that I was using Digi's tablet plan for my tablet as well, as I got a reload in the shop there. Not much issues surfing back then. :)

Last edited:

BuGGi3

Master Member
Reaction score
I was there a year back, and was surfing away the whole time (playing a certain game too, as I was moving around =:p ).

Think I'd Maxis Hotlink, Celcom XPAX, and U Mobile at that time, and even got E on at least 1 line in my First World Club room on one of the top floors. Probably XPAX... can't remember exactly which already. :D

Edit: Just recalled that I was using Digi's tablet plan for my tablet as well, as I got a reload in the shop there. Not much issues surfing back then. :)

Wah World Club room shiokshiok. Mine no view one maybe that's why no reception :(

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah World Club room shiokshiok. Mine no view one maybe that's why no reception :(

Think we paid S$100-odd with a deduction of 2(?) points from my friend's account.

Express check-in, high floor, chose mountain-view (or whatever you call it) but there's construction so... :s13:. Breakfast was on same floor (24th?) so very convenient to just stroll there and back. :D

BuGGi3

Master Member
Reaction score
Think we paid S$100-odd with a deduction of 2(?) points from my friend's account.

Express check-in, high floor, chose mountain-view (or whatever you call it) but there's construction so... :s13:. Breakfast was on same floor (24th?) so very convenient to just stroll there and back. :D

Worth a try some day if it's not too expensive :s13:

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes. i used my dad tron sim but i forgot to deactivate and his humdred over rm.credit.gone in 1mth or.2 mth. he kpkb with me til.now already many yrs liao..

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes. i used my dad tron sim but i forgot to deactivate and his humdred over rm.credit.gone in 1mth or.2 mth. he kpkb with me til.now already many yrs liao..

With Maxis Hotlink and Celcom XPAX, you can deactivate the auto-renewal and continue to use the MI package until it expires. But with Digi and Tron, the package will end immediately after you deactivate the auto-renewal.

Thus, what I do with Hotlink and XPAX is not to wait until nearing the expiry date before I deactivate the auto-renewal, unless I know I'll have to use it the subsequent month (when I subscribe to the monthly package, that is).

Now you've reminded me why I hardly activate the MI package on my DigiBest card, using it mostly for calls and SMS instead. I've also resort to using PPU (pay-per-use) for my Tron card. =:p

critical888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tron got portal leh, anytime just login check credit, or just email them ask them to stop the plan, easy abc

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.