Question about Malacca

luckygal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i stayed at Ibis, not bad. Quite cheap, place is clean, their housekeeping damn fast. Called to fix the TV remote and like 10 mins later they appeared. The cons is that it's not near the Dataran area , it's quite near 1 end of Jonker though, so you'll need to take Grab to the malls.
I read reviews saying the guests at Ibis more inclined to one profile.

jiakliaobee32

Banned
Reaction score
A famous chicken rice ball is overrated. Rice ball is dry and tasteless. Chicken got no meat and full of bones. Expensive as well. Geographer cafe is not bad. Many amdk like to go there

Reaction score
Plan to go Malacca this Saturday morning, which one of these is better ah?
- Cross Woodlands checkpoint to JB, take bus from Larkin to Malacca [1]. My house is 1 hr from Woodlands checkpoint.
- Take direct coach from Singapore to Malacca, coach will go via Second Link [2]. My house is 30 min from the coach pick-up point.

Will crossing the Woodlands checkpoint on foot (option [1]) be faster than crossing Tuas checkpoint by coach (option [2])? Planning to avoid option [2] with recent news of insane lines at Second Line MY side.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- Cross Woodlands checkpoint to JB, take bus from Larkin to Malacca [1]. My house is 1 hr from Woodlands checkpoint.
- Take direct coach from Singapore to Malacca, coach will go via Second Link [2]. My house is 30 min from the coach pick-up point.

Will crossing the Woodlands checkpoint on foot (option [1]) be faster than crossing Tuas checkpoint by coach (option [2])? Planning to avoid option [2] with recent news of insane lines at Second Line MY side.
What time does the coach reach Tuas? What time do you intend to reach Woodlands and what time is the coach from Larkin?

beanstalk6

Reaction score

1) Can you be at Woodlands Checkpoint at 8am?
2) Will the coach be at Tuas Checkpoint at 8am?

Reaction score
What time does the coach reach Tuas? What time do you intend to reach Woodlands and what time is the coach from Larkin?
1) Can you be at Woodlands Checkpoint at 8am?
2) Will the coach be at Tuas Checkpoint at 8am?
I can reach Woodlands Checkpoint around 7.30am by taking the first MRT train from my place. Will take the first available coach from Larkin to Malacca once crossing into JB.

If go by coach from SG I think coach only reach Tuas checkpoint by 8.30am. Since need extra time for the coach to drive to the checkpoint and possibly pick up passengers from other pick-up points. This is the part I am worried most, not sure how long the bus will wander in Singapore before going to Tuas checkpoint

beanstalk6

Reaction score
I can reach Woodlands Checkpoint around 7.30am by taking the first MRT train from my place. Will take the first available coach from Larkin to Malacca once crossing into JB.

If go by coach from SG I think coach only reach Tuas checkpoint by 8.30am. Since need extra time for the coach to drive to the checkpoint and possibly pick up passengers from other pick-up points. This is the part I am worried most, not sure how long the bus will wander in Singapore before going to Tuas checkpoint
You provided your own answers. It being a Saturday, a long weekend at that.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you thinking about how fast you vs coach cross border? You can go earlier, coach is by schedule (school holiday or public holiday). Of course you win this one.
Next, JB to Larkin to Malacca vs Coach SG to Malacca? Need you check coach timing, I think this is more critical.
You can cross border very fast but still have to wait for the coach.

beanstalk6

Reaction score

There is a risk. The online portals show that the earliest ride from Larkin to Melaka will be at noon this Saturday.
There is more certainty from buying a ticket for Singapore-Melaka and taking your chance with the jam or you can choose to cross from Woodlands to JB as early as you can, and hope that there are other coach companies at the other side on the Melaka route with available tickets.

Reaction score
There is a risk. The online portals show that the earliest ride from Larkin to Melaka will be at noon this Saturday.
There is more certainty from buying a ticket for Singapore-Melaka and taking your chance with the jam or you can choose to cross from Woodlands to JB as early as you can, and hope that there are other coach companies at the other side on the Melaka route with available tickets.
If you thinking about how fast you vs coach cross border? You can go earlier, coach is by schedule (school holiday or public holiday). Of course you win this one.
Next, JB to Larkin to Malacca vs Coach SG to Malacca? Need you check coach timing, I think this is more critical.
You can cross border very fast but still have to wait for the coach.
The coach from Larkin to Malacca is every 30 minute - 1 hour right? And it runs from early morning to evening so no issue. Also I can buy the coach ticket while queuing at JB customs, so I can just hop on the coach the moment I reach Larkin

beanstalk6

Reaction score
The coach from Larkin to Malacca is every 30 minute - 1 hour right? And it runs from early morning to evening so no issue. Also I can buy the coach ticket while queuing at JB customs, so I can just hop on the coach the moment I reach Larkin
So long as you accept the probability of having to wait for some time at Larkin for an available coach.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just check easybook, yes, almost every 30mins there is a coach. If you do not have any coach company preference.

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
departed Concorde Hotel at 7.30am on a Sat recently, and only alighted at a Melaka hotel slightly over 8h later...

Reaction score
departed Concorde Hotel at 7.30am on a Sat recently, and only alighted at a Melaka hotel slightly over 8h later...
I took the same coach from Concorde at 7pm on Friday, arrive at Malacca around midnight. SG immigration took 60 mins, MY immigration took 30 mins. This gives me an extra day on Saturday for the trip! However I need to pay an extra night for hotel, which I did and stayed at a cheaper one to save money

luckygal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I took the same coach from Concorde at 7pm on Friday, arrive at Malacca around midnight. SG immigration took 60 mins, MY immigration took 30 mins. This gives me an extra day on Saturday for the trip! However I need to pay an extra night for hotel, which I did and stayed at a cheaper one to save money
Which coach departs at 7pm?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pre-covid used to reached between 12noon to 2pm depending on traffic condition. I avoid Saturdays as much as possible.

Boon Sim

Reaction score
Planning 4D3N (Thurs - Sun) for post-CNY drive up. Some qns, pardon my noobness as never driven to Melaka:

- VEP just register and have the paper printout is sufficient, no need RFID to be stuck right? My TNG e-wallet still linked to (sold) old car RFID, can't remove from app and TNG not replying email. Haven't applied for the new RFID yet
- Tolls all the way to Melaka just use physical TNG card is ok?
- For Thurs morning drive up and Sunday afternoon drive down, go via. Woodlands or Tuas more advisable for less jam (assuming I stay equidistant to both)?
- Best time to clear back to SG through Woodlands / Tuas on Sundays? Priority is minimum jam, and I can leave Melaka any time after breakfast (so that would be noon - 1pm reach causeway at the earliest)
- What is most economical Malaysian sim card and plan to get (for this and future day / road trips), and can I get this and do top up from petrol stations or TNG app (i see some prepaid options in the app)? Or not worth hassle just

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Planning 4D3N (Thurs - Sun) for post-CNY drive up. Some qns, pardon my noobness as never driven to Melaka:

- VEP just register and have the paper printout is sufficient, no need RFID to be stuck right? My TNG e-wallet still linked to (sold) old car RFID, can't remove from app and TNG not replying email. Haven't applied for the new RFID yet
- Tolls all the way to Melaka just use physical TNG card is ok?
- For Thurs morning drive up and Sunday afternoon drive down, go via. Woodlands or Tuas more advisable for less jam (assuming I stay equidistant to both)?
- Best time to clear back to SG through Woodlands / Tuas on Sundays? Priority is minimum jam, and I can leave Melaka any time after breakfast (so that would be noon - 1pm reach causeway at the earliest)
- What is most economical Malaysian sim card and plan to get (for this and future day / road trips), and can I get this and do top up from petrol stations or TNG app (i see some prepaid options in the app)? Or not worth hassle just

use physical TnG card all the way no problem~

Go in via 2nd link as is lesser jam in the morning & it's also easier to navigate~ can exit at gelang patah for breakfast & petrol before proceeding to NSHW~ come back also use 2nd link~

use Beat the Jam app to monitor the jam status at both customs, sometimes woodlands can be equally smooth~ :s22:

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
use physical TnG card all the way no problem~

Go in via 2nd link as is lesser jam in the morning & it's also easier to navigate~ can exit at gelang patah for breakfast & petrol before proceeding to NSHW~ come back also use 2nd link~

use Beat the Jam app to monitor the jam status at both customs, sometimes woodlands can be equally smooth~ :s22:
Plus Gelang Patah towards NSHW got the self-service top up machine for the TnG card!

A great place to stop!

But I usually reach very early, so nothing to do other than toilet break and top up TnG card. :LOL:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.