Question about Malacca

SongManKranji

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Did a 3hr + walk around hotel to jonker. No joke. The heat can kill. Need to hydrate constantly. On way back whack 2x 330ml 100+. Went back hotel shower and took a short nap. Than embark journey on car search for durians.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did a 3hr + walk around hotel to jonker. No joke. The heat can kill. Need to hydrate constantly. On way back whack 2x 330ml 100+. Went back hotel shower and took a short nap. Than embark journey on car search for durians.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
I'm not a fan of umbrellas but in Melaka, better use one when you're exploring the streets during the hot days.

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PS, PS!

6.15am. Corrected to the actual time liao. :ROFLMAO:

So took 5 hour plus to reach Hatten. So many heavy vehicles and coaches on the Lane 2, so end up pushing others and being pushed by others on Lane 1. Luckily added a DPF cleaner yesterday before pumping full tank. Should have regenerated my DPF filter, hopefully. :o
wa car thing... i no understand.. if car need 5 hr..... bus will be.....

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Malaysian bus driver drive the bus like it’s a car. Sometimes even faster. Got once I went to 120km/hr. Still cannot overtake the bus wor.

craze_ho

Reaction score
O ya forgot to mention, though I managed to walk in that 75min in the sun, I got sunburnt. Now my skin got 2 colour. Already 2 weeks still not recover. I was wearing singlet...

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bus got Lorry and Bus lane, so would have been able to clear Custom and Immigration faster.

The staff manning the vehicle counters were all working slowly and at a leisurely pace, thus contributing to the jam.

This was the same for my trip back yesterday. And SG immigration decided to play punk by opening only A1 for vehicles while A2 was closed. So Tuas jammed badly for both MY and SG side. Took me more than 5 hours to drive from Melaka back to my place. o_O

craze_ho

Reaction score
Bus got Lorry and Bus lane, so would have been able to clear Custom and Immigration faster.

The staff manning the vehicle counters were all working slowly and at a leisurely pace, thus contributing to the jam.

This was the same for my trip back yesterday. And SG immigration decided to play punk by opening only A1 for vehicles while A2 was closed. So Tuas jammed badly for both MY and SG side. Took me more than 5 hours to drive from Melaka back to my place. o_O
Wa.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Aaagogo

Apparently the place to go for Nyonya chang, but I've only bought from them once. The second time was a weekend and they claimed to be "fully booked" asking us to place a deposit for collection on Monday. Went off to buy from one of the first shops along Jonker Street and found it just as good especially without any hassle. (P.S. I'm more a bak chang person, love all the different ingredients and texture :razz: )

https://www.ipacktravel.com/post/ma...ezvous-nyonya-dumpling-cendol-melaka-old-town
Sun May Hiong Satay House (walkable from Jonker) has been my must-have since I started staying at Casa del Rio, and even when I "moved" to DoubleTree@Hilton. :grin:

Baba Charlie for Nyonya kueh, but I've not had a chance to go there. The thought of going that direction just for some kueh... 😅 But there used to be a famous putu piring joint there too...

Over somewhere behind Hatten Hotel, there's a (then) famous zichar as well, what cheese beehoon and the likes. Same, not had a chance to be there myself. (Restoran Tong Sheng)

The Klang bak kut teh that I used to have over at "the other side?" moved to Hatten's back area as well... I think just before the pandemic but don't know where they are now.

Oh, Pak Putra Tandoori. Another famous place but I just never get the chance to stop by so far. That area too, an asam pedas place across from Casa del Rio Residences (next to the hotel) that attracted crowds from the other states as well. One of my regular haunts as well. (Not one of those claypot type further down from Pak Putra.)

Of course, above foods could probably be found at some smaller joints as always, just some thoughts while waiting for you to show us your makan spree. :lick:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Aaagogo

Apparently the place to go for Nyonya chang, but I've only bought from them once. The second time was a weekend and they claimed to be "fully booked" asking us to place a deposit for collection on Monday. Went off to buy from one of the first shops along Jonker Street and found it just as good especially without any hassle. (P.S. I'm more a bak chang person, love all the different ingredients and texture :razz: )

https://www.ipacktravel.com/post/ma...ezvous-nyonya-dumpling-cendol-melaka-old-town
Sun May Hiong Satay House (walkable from Jonker) has been my must-have since I started staying at Casa del Rio, and even when I "moved" to DoubleTree@Hilton. :grin:

Baba Charlie for Nyonya kueh, but I've not had a chance to go there. The thought of going that direction just for some kueh... 😅 But there used to be a famous putu piring joint there too...

Over somewhere behind Hatten Hotel, there's a (then) famous zichar as well, what cheese beehoon and the likes. Same, not had a chance to be there myself. (Restoran Tong Sheng)

The Klang bak kut teh that I used to have over at "the other side?" moved to Hatten's back area as well... I think just before the pandemic but don't know where they are now.

Oh, Pak Putra Tandoori. Another famous place but I just never get the chance to stop by so far. That area too, an asam pedas place across from Casa del Rio Residences (next to the hotel) that attracted crowds from the other states as well. One of my regular haunts as well. (Not one of those claypot type further down from Pak Putra.)

Of course, above foods could probably be found at some smaller joints as always, just some thoughts while waiting for you to show us your makan spree. :lick:
Restoran Tong Sheng now got aircon, tried chili crab before, not bad.
Bak kut teh shop pre-covid close quite early for lunch, I think 1-2pm close shop liao.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Restoran Tong Sheng now got aircon, tried chili crab before, not bad.
Bak kut teh shop pre-covid close quite early for lunch, I think 1-2pm close shop liao.
Ya, back then BKT opened for breakfast then closed after lunch. Then opened again for dinner.

I really have to make a trip there. Macam my kampung, missing it lots. :grin:

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Aaagogo

My last last trip (last October) I had gone to Sun May Hiong when we just arrived, but found the satay tough and the sauce not as good.

For Baba Charlie, I went before we drive back to Singapore for the same trip. Can only go to the cafe to make purchases. My wife said the kuehs were much poorer, hence we opted to skip for our last trip (last week).

This trip my kids followed us all the way, so we had to go to more kid's friendly places to eat and play. The Huskitory was a great place for the kids! Feeding and petting the Huskies and Inus.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, back then BKT opened for breakfast then closed after lunch. Then opened again for dinner.

I really have to make a trip there. Macam my kampung, missing it lots. :grin:
Dinner time didn't see any BKT open leh (Hatten area)

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dinner time didn't see any BKT open leh (Hatten area)
I can't find the one I used to go preC19 before they moved. Can't recall the name but will know if I see, but can't find...

Used to go only for dinner, and remember once when it's quite late plus that area was rather quiet, by the time we finished, that we'd to call the hotel for someone to pick us up. :o:o:s13:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can't find the one I used to go preC19 before they moved. Can't recall the name but will know if I see, but can't find...

Used to go only for dinner, and remember once when it's quite late plus that area was rather quiet, by the time we finished, that we'd to call the hotel for someone to pick us up. :o:o:s13:
Woah so big shot, ask hotel not grab :ROFLMAO:

SongManKranji

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
O ya forgot to mention, though I managed to walk in that 75min in the sun, I got sunburnt. Now my skin got 2 colour. Already 2 weeks still not recover. I was wearing singlet...
Wa bro next time wan to walk in boleh land either wear those sleeves like golfers use or put alot of sunblock. Not too gd to kena such heat often ah.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

beanstalk6

Reaction score
TIme for the annual reconnect with Malacca next week.
1. Shuttle Tebrau, Grab to Larkin, take whatever coach to Melaka Sentral and collect a rental car. Stay wherever convenient and cheap.
2. Visit A'Famosa Resort and perhaps stay there
3. Keep up with what's going on. Drive around town without visiting Jonker Street
4. Return the car and get home with Delima coach.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TIme for the annual reconnect with Malacca next week.
1. Ekspres Tebrau, Grab to Larkin, take whatever coach to Melaka Sentral and collect a rental car. Stay wherever convenient and cheap.
2. Visit A'Famosa Resort and perhaps stay there
3. Keep up with what's going on. Drive around town without visiting Jonker Street
4. Return the car and get home with Delima coach.
Why not rent a car in JB?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Because I do not feel like driving on the highway this time. I can rent a smaller and cheaper vehicle at Melaka.

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Because I do not feel like driving on the highway this time. I can rent a smaller and cheaper vehicle at Melaka.
Driving the highway is fine.

But it's the jam as both the customs that is making me think twice about going up north again. o_O

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.