Question about Malacca

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried Christee Suites?

Located right behind the former Hotel Equitorial.

Review seems like not bad, but dunno will be heavy traffic outside, coz that's one of the way back to SG.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Portuguese Village's row of restaurants is basically a tourist attraction, place built by their authorities upgraded from the old days. That one time I'd lunch there, was told no pork allowed to be sold there, so dishes like babi pongteh became ayam pongteh.

Subsequently I discovered and went to a joint that's near their museum instead, more homely. The only time we'd pork dishes was when they're celebrating a religious festival and there're makeshift stalls set up by some residents.

Grabbed to/from DT.

Pasar malam at Jonker Street, Fridays to Sundays. About 5pm the setting up will start and road closed.

I walked to outside Casa del Rio to Grab back to DT.
Oh that Pasar malam went before, nothing much except crowd.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wife yesterday suddenly asked whether wanna go Melaka this weekend.

But I checked Hatten. All full. And other hotels quite pricey.

Maybe won't be going this time round. :(
Yes, all price increase, need to book early. Airbnb also good.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got once my aunty took part in some 1 day tour. She told me the boss told them at least 100 coaches are fully packed. Aunty say macham all like hungry ghost during makan. If slow nothing left to eat. 👻

Life is v short. Ai song song kao tuas & Changi.
Ya, Jonker 88 once the SG tour coaches start rolling in, better stay away unless you're really hungry for their food. Queue until outside longer and longer, inside squeeze and rush to order until like you said, hungry ghost. :s13:

Once I was already inside when they started streaming in. Lesson learned to go well before noon. :s13:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, Jonker 88 once the SG tour coaches start rolling in, better stay away unless you're really hungry for their food. Queue until outside longer and longer, inside squeeze and rush to order until like you said, hungry ghost. :s13:

Once I was already inside when they started streaming in. Lesson learned to go well before noon. :s13:
Bro, what is the different of Luxury coach 28 seater vs 40 seater? Which is more comfortable?
Both 7am pick up point I also can, so don't know which is better. In 2020, I take from Concorde hotel should be 40 seater.
Thanks

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, what is the different of Luxury coach 28 seater vs 40 seater? Which is more comfortable?
Both 7am pick up point I also can, so don't know which is better. In 2020, I take from Concorde hotel should be 40 seater.
Thanks
Woohoo! Looks like they got new coaches again!

Last time I travelled with them, they'd new double-deckers that were comfortable to sit downstairs too. (Previously I only sat there after clearing SG immigration to go to JB 2nd Link CIQ, coz lazy to climb back to my seat upstairs. Downstairs was more for storage back then, though there're seats that they weren't selling. :grin: )

From what I see now, 28-seaters are single-decks (SD), and 40-seaters are double-decks (DD). For sleeping throughout the whole journey, maybe lower deck would be better. Otherwise if you like to see the route and scenery, go for the upper deck seats.

Me? I like sightseeing. :grin:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Looks like they got new coaches again!

Last time I travelled with them, they'd new double-deckers that were comfortable to sit downstairs too. (Previously I only sat there after clearing SG immigration to go to JB 2nd Link CIQ, coz lazy to climb back to my seat upstairs. Downstairs was more for storage back then, though there're seats that they weren't selling. :grin: )

From what I see now, 28-seaters are single-decks (SD), and 40-seaters are double-decks (DD). For sleeping throughout the whole journey, maybe lower deck would be better. Otherwise if you like to see the route and scenery, go for the upper deck seats.

Me? I like sightseeing. :grin:
Yes, last time mine is double decker, seat top deck can sightseeing and more spacious.
Double decker more shiok.
Downstair is more lay back type.

PinkGlory

Reaction score
Is it easy to find money changers near jonker? Do they prefer payment by cash at food places around jonker area and also the shopping malls?

Are there any good massage places around jonker? Any recommendations?

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it easy to find money changers near jonker? Do they prefer payment by cash at food places around jonker area and also the shopping malls?

Are there any good massage places around jonker? Any recommendations?
It's better to prepare some cash as not all places accepts card. SG money changer give better rate than Malaysia.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Portuguese Village's row of restaurants is basically a tourist attraction, place built by their authorities upgraded from the old days. That one time I'd lunch there, was told no pork allowed to be sold there, so dishes like babi pongteh became ayam pongteh.

Subsequently I discovered and went to a joint that's near their museum instead, more homely. The only time we'd pork dishes was when they're celebrating a religious festival and there're makeshift stalls set up by some residents.

Grabbed to/from DT.

Pasar malam at Jonker Street, Fridays to Sundays. About 5pm the setting up will start and road closed.

I walked to outside Casa del Rio to Grab back to DT.
I was browsing youtube for Melaka, found 1 senior, he went to Portuguese Village restaurant go by the number 10, I see the seafood quite good, price also reasonable. Since near to DT, will grab there to try.

Edit: I was doing research, found out that Portuguese Village restaurant is call 7 Pescados 好运来海鲜, number 10 is wrong. All open air one, maybe a small area in indoor. Raining can skip liao.

Last edited:

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of signing up MDAC and take the auto gate at JB custom and go to Larkin to take the KKKL bus all the way to Malacca.

1) If I do a return trip via flight and the flight custom from Malacca see I don't have stamp, is it risky?

My past experience with taking bus from Golden Miles complex to Tuas Checkpoint is not that good. There is a 2 hours JAM at the custom area, before the bus proceed all the way to KL.

Can list down all the possible place at Malacca sentral:
Hotel (any 4 star hotel with laundromat):
Food (any good bak kut teh):
Transport (can I use a Visa card to get around)
Place of interest (any?)

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of signing up MDAC and take the auto gate at JB custom and go to Larkin to take the KKKL bus all the way to Malacca.

1) If I do a return trip via flight and the flight custom from Malacca see I don't have stamp, is it risky?

My past experience with taking bus from Golden Miles complex to Tuas Checkpoint is not that good. There is a 2 hours JAM at the custom area, before the bus proceed all the way to KL.

Can list down all the possible place at Malacca sentral:
Hotel (any 4 star hotel with laundromat):
Food (any good bak kut teh):
Transport (can I use a Visa card to get around)
Place of interest (any?)
If you enter via e-gate and exit via manual, take screen shot of your MDAC app.
(First sign up for MDAC can only go manual in and out, then next time go e-gate)

Pre-covid in 2020, I take Luxury coach from Concorde hotel to Maleka very smooth, coach move off at 7am+.
I going to book for my CNY trip, this time also Luxury coach but take from Harbour Front. (28 seater) 7am

Mostly still cash or TnG, visa more for expensive place.

The Shore Sky Tower for nice city view.
The rest you google alot.

Place to eat
Wild Coriander (inside jonker next to river)
The Daily Fix Café (inside jonker)
The Stolen Cup (inside jonker)
香江茶室 Siang Chang Café
Zhing Kee Roast Shop (roast duck)

Portugese Settlement (Seaside)
葡萄牙村好运来海鲜 7 Pescados

These food places I just research recently.

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
booked my trip over the Xmas period
taking luxury double deck coach

here are some of the food list I compiled, mostly based on google reviews (with ratings)
hopefully the stalls are opened when i am there!
any of these to avoid, pls let me know :)

Nonya Food
ATLANTIC NYONYA @ MELAKA RAYA - 4.7
Cottage Spices Nyonya Restaurant - 4.2
SamFu Restaurant - 4.2
Jonker 88 - 3.9
The Kam Cheng - 4.5
Restoran Baba Ang - 4.6

Cristina Ee Nyonya Cendol - 4.3
The Kappan House Restaurant - 4.4

Cafe / Western
The Daily Fix Cafe - 4.6
Bikini Toppings - 4.5
The Baboon House - 4.6
The Stolen Cup - 4.4
Calanthe Art Café - 4.2
Geographér Café - 4.0

Chicken Rice
Hoe Kee Chicken Rice - 3.9
My Chicken Rice - 3.7

Restaurant
Dragon-i Restaurants @ Dataran Pahlawan Melaka Megamall - 4.6
Restaurant Bei Zhan - 4.1

Others
Pin Pin Hiong Restaurant - 3.9
Low Yong Moh Restaurant - 3.7
Restoran Res Porridge Shop - 4.3
Precious Eye Store - 4.5
Putu Piring Tengkera - 4.4
BUNGA RAYA POPIAH - 3.9
Ban Lee Siang Satay Celup - 3.9
Tengkera Duck Noodle - 4.1
East and West Rendezvous - 3.9
Pak Putra Tandoori & Naan - 4.2
Monterios Portuguese Seafood Stall - 3.9
葡萄牙村好运来海鲜7 Pescados - 4.6

Last edited:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
booked my trip over the Xmas period
taking luxury double deck coach

here are some of the food list I compiled, mostly based on google reviews (with ratings)
hopefully the stalls are opened when i am there!
any of these to avoid, pls let me know :)

Nonya Food
ATLANTIC NYONYA @ MELAKA RAYA - 4.7
Cottage Spices Nyonya Restaurant - 4.2
SamFu Restaurant - 4.2
Jonker 88 - 3.9
The Kam Cheng - 4.5
Restoran Baba Ang - 4.6

Cristina Ee Nyonya Cendol - 4.3
The Kappan House Restaurant - 4.4

Cafe / Western
The Daily Fix Cafe - 4.6
Bikini Toppings - 4.5
The Baboon House - 4.6
The Stolen Cup - 4.4
Calanthe Art Café - 4.2
Geographér Café - 4.0

Chicken Rice
Hoe Kee Chicken Rice - 3.9
My Chicken Rice - 3.7

Restaurant
Dragon-i Restaurants @ Dataran Pahlawan Melaka Megamall - 4.6
Restaurant Bei Zhan - 4.1

Others
Pin Pin Hiong Restaurant - 3.9
Low Yong Moh Restaurant - 3.7
Restoran Res Porridge Shop - 4.3
Precious Eye Store - 4.5
Putu Piring Tengkera - 4.4
BUNGA RAYA POPIAH - 3.9
Ban Lee Siang Satay Celup - 3.9
Tengkera Duck Noodle - 4.1
East and West Rendezvous - 3.9
Pak Putra Tandoori & Naan - 4.2
Monterios Portuguese Seafood Stall - 3.9
葡萄牙村好运来海鲜7 Pescados - 4.6
Can add Tiong Hwa Hainan Chicken Rice 中華茶樓 (same from research)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.