HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Comparison of SIM only plans

Like Tree718Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2018, 01:32 AM   #4216
Supremacy Member

Ya but MSS need at least 2 mobile lines. I only have 1.
If you only have 1 eligible line, why still have MLS back then? Lol

Sent from Xiaomi MI MIX 2 using GAGT
lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #4217
Supremacy Member

Screenshot from singtel and it say it all no need too much word....lol

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT
Speedtest results doesn't always equate to real world usage tho.

I've seen places with SingTel 4G of 40+ Mbps but couldn't load things as fast as M1 4G while have speed of around 20-30Mbps in the same location.

Old 22-12-2018, 01:37 AM   #4218
Supremacy Member

I will rate Singtelthe best, follow by M1.

My work phone iPhone 6s with Singte for 3 years didn’t really have much problem. Only few outage incidents for the last few months. LTE and volte works perfectly.

Personal phone with M1 some time full bar also no data activities in some occasions. Happened in Changi WWP NEX ION Orchard before, speechless. Those are not ULU places still CMI.

SH during 3G era really Cui, now I am not sure.
I also sometimes face inconsistent connection in NEX but don't rmb having the problem in ION Orchard tho.

I normally don't frequent those places anyway so it doesn't affect me that much.

Old 22-12-2018, 01:49 AM   #4219

Been using singtel for 10 years. Where is this "places" that dont have good reception you are talking about ?
Camp basement office, only Singtel no signal. Places like jurong business park have patches where no signal either
chaiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #4220

All telco face the same challenges when accessing buildings and rooftops to install the Mobile Base Stations.

Many commercial building charge very high fees to telco to put the Mobile Phone Base Stations there.
hanneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #4221

Screenshot from singtel and it say it all no need too much word....lol

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT
Speedtest results doesn't always equate to real world usage tho.

I've seen places with SingTel 4G of 40+ Mbps but couldn't load things as fast as M1 4G while have speed of around 20-30Mbps in the same location.

Unfortunately most people form judgement based on snapshots of experience & stereotype frames rather than deep knowledge.

Lohsenglte is right about the fact that Speedtest results doesn’t reflect real world usage or applications. I think it’s for folks who are obsess with nothing but virtual speed results & use it to convince themselves & people around them that their judgement is correct.
Synnexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #4222

For those that sign up with M1 using NTUC card, did they check your name on the card to your IC?
Yes they’ll take a snap of both plus card and nric.
minimalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #4223

If you only have 1 eligible line, why still have MLS back then? Lol

Lol. Good spotting. I think it was a mistake on one of the CSO’s part a few years ago when I recontracted. Moreover it was the highest tier at 25%.
minimalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #4224
Supremacy Member

Lol. Good spotting. I think it was a mistake on one of the CSO’s part a few years ago when I recontracted. Moreover it was the highest tier at 25%.
Oh so your number of eligible lines drop from 3 to 0 now?

Old 22-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #4225

Hi,

I have a noob query which I hope experts here can help.

I'm on Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan which will expire on Jan 10 next year. Been looking around for a new SIM-only plan across 3 telcos but the current promotions don't really catch my interest. So I'm thinking of... waiting for better promotion to come along.

What I want to know is, what will happen when I let this Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan lapse, without renewal on my part? Singtel also didn't contact me about recontracting.

Will my line be disconnected? What plan will I be on then?

Thanks for your help!
musiKchYld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #4226
Supremacy Member

Unfortunately most people form judgement based on snapshots of experience & stereotype frames rather than deep knowledge.

Lohsenglte is right about the fact that Speedtest results doesn’t reflect real world usage or applications. I think it’s for folks who are obsess with nothing but virtual speed results & use it to convince themselves & people around them that their judgement is correct.
Yes thanks for backing me up. Most applications won't need speeds beyond 20Mbps, not even 1080p streaming (@ 60fps). Unless you're downloading big files, which on the paltry data caps of some plans I doubt people are doing.

The more important thing beyond 20Mbps is mainly the latency already.

As you can see in the screenshots below, M1 network isn't the fastest among the three in the raw speed aspect for OpenSignal reports, but the overall video experience is far ahead of rivals as well as 4G latency.

What does it mean? Raw speed isn't super important now, it's about the initial connection to the server that's more important.

https://opensignal.com/blog/2018/10/...-in-east-asia/

https://opensignal.com/blog/2018/12/...eapon-latency/

https://opensignal.com/reports/2018/...etworks-update

Old 22-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #4227
Supremacy Member

Hi,

I have a noob query which I hope experts here can help.

I'm on Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan which will expire on Jan 10 next year. Been looking around for a new SIM-only plan across 3 telcos but the current promotions don't really catch my interest. So I'm thinking of... waiting for better promotion to come along.

What I want to know is, what will happen when I let this Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan lapse, without renewal on my part? Singtel also didn't contact me about recontracting.

Will my line be disconnected? What plan will I be on then?

Thanks for your help!
You won't be disconnected from SingTel network, but the following things will apply:

- All additional talktime and SMS bundle will be removed. You'll be left with just free incoming calls and SMS. Talktime and SMS add-ons are available tho, either at packaged prices or pay per use rates.

- Promo data bundle will be removed as well. It'll be reverted back to 3GB base plan ($20/mth) + $5.35/GB.
For example, 5GB SIM-Only ($20/mth) will be back to 3GB bundle. 10GB SIM-Only ($36.05/mth) will be back to 6GB bundle (3GB base + 3GB extra @ $5.35/GB).

All the plans here exclude any VAS charges (eg Caller ID).

Last edited by lohsenglte; 22-12-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Old 22-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #4228

You won't be disconnected from SingTel network, but the following things will apply:

- All additional talktime and SMS bundle will be removed. You'll be left with just free incoming calls and SMS. Talktime and SMS add-ons are available tho, either at packaged prices or pay per use rates.

- Promo data bundle will be removed as well. It'll be reverted back to 3GB base plan ($20/mth) + $5.35/GB.
For example, 5GB SIM-Only ($20/mth) will be back to 3GB bundle. 10GB SIM-Only ($36.05/mth) will be back to 6GB bundle (3GB base + 3GB extra @ $5.35/GB).

All the plans here exclude any VAS charges (eg Caller ID).

Thanks for your reply!

In that case, if I decided up to switch over and sign up for M1 plan before the 10 January, will there be any termination charges or early termination charges from Singtel? (since it's 1 year contract, not sure if it's the same treatment as other 2-year more expensive Combo plans)

Or based on your opinion, do you think it would be better to go sign up for the M1 plan on 10 January itself, so that Singtel will lapse naturally without any possible termination charges to me?
musiKchYld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #4229

I also sometimes face inconsistent connection in NEX but don't rmb having the problem in ION Orchard tho.

I normally don't frequent those places anyway so it doesn't affect me that much.

In term of pricing I have to agree Singtel most expensive.

M1 user can try to access data network inside Imperial Treasure, not sure got improvement now? Been a while didn’t go there.
yotoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #4230

Same, started with SH > ST > M1 and back to SH.

ST signal is best and speed is also fastest, but downside is the most expensive.

M1 is above average and previously before SH came out with SIM only plan, really nothing to complain about the value & performance.

15 years later and today back on SH because of coporate business plan, still as shitty as usual. Lousy signal in alot of places.
Oh thanks, then I won’t recommend SH to friends.
yotoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.