Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #5506
Arch-Supremacy Member

Saw. Looks like it is
Gomo but no roaming or
Starhub but no free incoming call

Gomo seems better
All mno has incoming calls free. Gomo confirmed no roaming as of now, might have in future.
Old 28-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #5507

because not everyone need caller ID... it means they can offer a cheaper plan if take out "free" caller ID (it isn't really free... the telcos need to pay $$$ to maintain the service...) ..

regards,
wacky

Lololol what? The Telco already have the Id of every caller by default. They only want to squeeze more $$ by charging for it. I bet it cost more effort and money to block caller id from showing.

It's like saying WhatsApp can't see username/ phone number for free...
Old 28-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #5508
Arch-Supremacy Member

to be honest I have no idea why telcos here in SG still continue charging subscribers for caller ID. it's the 21st century already. even the 3rd world nation where I come from, caller ID is built-in/free
From customer perspective- yes it should be given free

From business point of view- no, its cashcow. Imagine charging $5/mth for more than 7 million customers.
Old 28-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #5509

From customer perspective- yes it should be given free

From business point of view- no, its cashcow. Imagine charging $5/mth for more than 7 million customers.
Spot on. It's basically late stage capitalism.

Like last time ISP charge $500-600+ for 1Gbps internet and claim if they lower prices they will loose money. In comes myRepublic and now somehow they all price at around $39 still never go under...

With mobile penetration rate so high and such a small land area to cover, the telecoms here can easily be profitable even if they charge $5 a month form each customer.
Old 28-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #5510
Arch-Supremacy Member

Spot on. It's basically late stage capitalism.

Like last time ISP charge $500-600+ for 1Gbps internet and claim if they lower prices they will loose money. In comes myRepublic and now somehow they all price at around $39 still never go under...

With mobile penetration rate so high and such a small land area to cover, the telecoms here can easily be profitable even if they charge $5 a month form each customer.
Now Mno have to find other ways to earn money liao. Data dont earn much as they give so much data till you won't exceed. Instead, they should focus on OTT services. You see, some people don't use phone call but use WhatsApp call just to save the minutes. SMS dont earn them money.
Old 28-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #5511
High Supremacy Member

Lololol what? The Telco already have the Id of every caller by default. They only want to squeeze more $$ by charging for it. I bet it cost more effort and money to block caller id from showing.

It's like saying WhatsApp can't see username/ phone number for free...
how do u know by default they have the ID of every caller...?? especially if the call is coming from a different telco... then caller's ID is not in your database right..?? your telco only know got some call coming from a different telco... so there needs to be a way to check the ID of the caller coming from that telco...?

whatsapp has the database of everyone so of cos it knows the ID of every msg... it is a centralized system where by one entity has absolute control of the entire network...

but phone calls are decentralized systems where each telco contains only the subscriber database of their own customers... in order to check the ID coming from a different telco there needs to be a way for the telco to access that information right..?

hence don't assume that telco already have the ID of the caller... they maybe only have like a session ID of that particular call... once call ended that session ID is invalid liao... and still do not know the ID of caller...

regards,
wacky

Last edited by wackykid; 28-03-2019 at 03:29 PM..
Old 28-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #5512

how do u know by default they have the ID of every caller...?? especially if the call is coming from a different telco... then caller's ID is not in your database right..?? your telco only know got some call coming from a different telco... so there needs to be a way to check the ID of the caller coming from that telco...?

whatsapp has the database of everyone so of cos it knows the ID of every msg... it is a centralized system where by one entity has absolute control of the entire network...

but phone calls are decentralized systems where each telco contains only the subscriber database of their own customers... in order to check the ID coming from a different telco there needs to be a way for the telco to access that information right..?

hence don't assume that telco already have the ID of the caller... they maybe only have like a session ID of that particular call... once call ended that session ID is invalid liao... and still do not know the ID of caller...

regards,
wacky
what makes you assume that as well? caller id only shows the phone# of the caller, unless the caller had a private number subscription. Think of it this way, when you call out, the signal is encoded with your mobile number. When the signal pass by your subscribed telco, your telco will based on your plan whether to broadcast that same information to you. So yes, they have the information.
Old 28-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #5513

regards,
wacky
If the teleco didn't have the information how do they route the calls to u?

like SMS u received from a stranger still will show the number.

Sh*t later Telco got idea to implement SMS Id as well...

A better analogy is like u need to put a address (ID) so your mail will be delivered. U don't put addresse how the post office (Telco) know who to send?

Charging for Caller id afaik is a unique Singapore thing. All my colleges from other countries were surprised that they have to pay for it.

Last edited by squarepipe; 28-03-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Old 28-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #5514
High Supremacy Member

what makes you assume that as well? caller id only shows the phone# of the caller, unless the caller had a private number subscription. Think of it this way, when you call out, the signal is encoded with your mobile number. When the signal pass by your subscribed telco, your telco will based on your plan whether to broadcast that same information to you. So yes, they have the information.
caller ID maybe is there because of the system is already in place to extract phone number info from the incoming telco... the telco has info only if incoming call is same telco... if different telco den they dun have the info...

also... i am not saying mine is correct... i am saying that it CAN be that telcos doesn't know the caller... hence i never assume... if i assume it means i should be saying definitely the telco dunno who the caller is... see the difference..??

when u make absolute statement (definitely, must be) you are making assumption unless you have evidence/prove...
when u make generate statements (maybe, could be) these are NOT assumptions...

If the teleco didn't have the information how do they route the calls to u?

like SMS u received from a stranger still will show the number.

Sh*t later Telco got idea to implement SMS Id as well...

A better analogy is like u need to put a address (ID) so your mail will be delivered. U don't put addresse how the post office (Telco) know who to send?

Charging for Caller id afaik is a unique Singapore thing. All my colleges from other countries were surprised that they have to pay for it.
can... via middle-man and session ID... i.e. the telcos...

lets say A (who is on telco X) call B (who is on telco Y)... B don't need to know A in order to answer call... only A need to know B...

1) connecting call
A (call B)->telco X-> (generate session ID, hide ID of A) -> establish connection to telco Y-> B

2) call connected
B(session ID)->telco Y, checks session ID, routes back to telco X)->telco X, checks session ID, route back to A->A

telco X keep the A->session ID mapping... telco Y only keep session ID->telco mapping...

so all telco Y needs to know is the call need to route back to which telco and job is done... no need to know who the caller is...

regards,
wacky

Last edited by wackykid; 28-03-2019 at 05:46 PM..
Old 28-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #5515

Same reason why cinemas here charge additional fees when booking online: nobody to come in stir **** just do business as usual.

to be honest I have no idea why telcos here in SG still continue charging subscribers for caller ID. it's the 21st century already. even the 3rd world nation where I come from, caller ID is built-in/free
Old 28-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #5516
Master Member

For your correction:
Starhub - free incoming call (http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile.html). What they don't give free is the SMS service
Thanks.
So gomo but no roaming
Starhub but no sms

Any other plans that satisfy all the criteria?
No contract
$20 or cheaper
Caller id
Free incoming calls
Some outgoing talktime
Some sms
No registration and sim fees
Old 28-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #5517

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID

In short caller ID is a service one subscribe to enable your own display name to appear on the persons phone you called.

By default without caller ID only the phone number will show.

Our local telecos stretched the definition of caller ID by blocking the display of phone numbers as well as the display name when you do not subscribe to caller ID.

Only having a custom display name requires the telco to have its own database.
Just displaying of phone numbers does not require any special effort on the telco part. Probably why MVNOs can afford to give "caller ID" for free as it does not require any additional work on their part.
Old 28-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #5518
Master Member

No contract
$20 or cheaper
Caller id
Free incoming calls
Some outgoing talktime
Some sms

Which plans satisfy? I know GOMO

Then among those that satisfy, which has roaming (allow to receive sms otp when overseas)? Thanks.
Prepaid cards not as good?

Last edited by Richliao; 28-03-2019 at 08:14 PM..
Old 28-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #5519
Supremacy Member

Thanks.
So gomo but no roaming
Starhub but no sms

Any other plans that satisfy all the criteria?
No contract
$20 or cheaper
Caller id
Free incoming calls
Some outgoing talktime
Some sms
http://www.starhub.com/personal/prom...g-payment.html

for starhub they do have a promo if you sign up for recurring payment through card or GIRO. 100 free sms. Not sure how it would work though. I just tried signing up for recurring payment through my debit card, will update if I get free 100sms.
Old 28-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #5520
Master Member

If i sign gomo, then singtel has a port in promo, does porting from gomo qualify?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.