Old 29-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #5536
Master Member

Any gomo speedtest comparison?
Old 29-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #5537

yeah - agree...would depend on the locations
Old 29-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #5538

Whats the benefit of volte? Thought need new phone too

Which sim only plans support?
Main benefit of VoLTE is clearer calls. The difference will vary from user to user, but in my experience, it's like day and night. Sadly, there's no cross-carrier VoLTE support in SG.

Wah, big difference leh. Yours is sim only plan??? Could it be because my number is still pending port over from m1 to starhub, thus the speed is greatly restricted???
Btw, phone models shouldn't make a difference bah, does it???

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
Depends on location as well as phone models. Huawei Mate 20 is one of the few that can leverage the 1Gbps network of Starhub and SingTel.

Also, your Starhub connection seemed to be limited to 3.5G. The logo shown was H+.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/supp...s-network.html (under Q5)

https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...ices/mobile/4g (under Gigabit 4G+)
Old 29-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #5539
High Supremacy Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID

In short caller ID is a service one subscribe to enable your own display name to appear on the persons phone you called.

By default without caller ID only the phone number will show.

Our local telecos stretched the definition of caller ID by blocking the display of phone numbers as well as the display name when you do not subscribe to caller ID.

Only having a custom display name requires the telco to have its own database.
Just displaying of phone numbers does not require any special effort on the telco part. Probably why MVNOs can afford to give "caller ID" for free as it does not require any additional work on their part.
the thing is... your "ID" i.e. the phone number that u are familiar with... is not necessarily the actual phone number tied to your telco/account...

problem comes when IDA (now IMDA) mandates number portability for all telcos... hence to do this... telcos implement number portability via the "display name" thing...

but underlying when u sign up a new telco and ask to port your number... what happens is u get a "dummy number" (this is the real number that is allocated to that telco) assigned to u first... which is why when u get the SIM card from the telco and try to use it immediately to call someone... u see a different number (i.e. the dummy number) until number porting takes effect... and the telcos have to store this ported number somewhere... and hence the display name is used to store this ported number since we don't actually use that to store name here... unless you are some organization which is why sometimes the caller ID shows alphanumeric name rather than only numbers...

hence the caller ID service that telcos need to implement is to figure out your "display name" which happens to be the phone number that carries along with you whenever you port your number... without this Caller ID service... either the phone number you see will get will be the "wrong" number... or you won't be allowed to do number port in the first place...

regards,
wacky

Last edited by wackykid; 29-03-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Old 29-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #5540
Arch-Supremacy Member

Main benefit of VoLTE is clearer calls. The difference will vary from user to user, but in my experience, it's like day and night. Sadly, there's no cross-carrier VoLTE support in SG.

Depends on location as well as phone models. Huawei Mate 20 is one of the few that can leverage the 1Gbps network of Starhub and SingTel.

Also, your Starhub connection seemed to be limited to 3.5G. The logo shown was H+.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/supp...s-network.html (under Q5)

https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...ices/mobile/4g (under Gigabit 4G+)
Could it be phone issues that's causing the slow download upload speed? I am using old Redmi Note 4. But then again I am using same phone when testing the m1 sim card wor...

Same location, same phone, two different sim card. Am I right to narrow down the speed issue to telco? Btw, I realise my new simcard (SH) has not ported over my old (m1) number. Would this be one of the reason for the slow speed on SH?

Old 29-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #5541
Master Member

Could it be phone issues that's causing the slow download upload speed? I am using old Redmi Note 4. But then again I am using same phone when testing the m1 sim card wor...

Same location, same phone, two different sim card. Am I right to narrow down the speed issue to telco? Btw, I realise my new simcard (SH) has not ported over my old (m1) number. Would this be one of the reason for the slow speed on SH?

Porting should not have any effect. So can we conclude m1/circles better than starhub?
Old 29-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #5542
Arch-Supremacy Member

Porting should not have any effect. So can we conclude m1/circles better than starhub?
But the difference is too huge also le bah, more than double...

Btw, those of you who got the new sim only plans with number port over. How long does it take for the new sim card to take over the old number ah? I received the sim card yesterday evening, now my old sim card (m1) still working and new sim card (sh) still showing the temporary number...

Old 29-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #5543
Supremacy Member

But the difference is too huge also le bah, more than double...

Btw, those of you who got the new sim only plans with number port over. How long does it take for the new sim card to take over the old number ah? I received the sim card yesterday evening, now my old sim card (m1) still working and new sim card (sh) still showing the temporary number...

The porting process should be at 2300 hours and would take a while to be completed.

Porting has nothing to do with data speed as it is only affect the mobile line number.

Your slow speed should be due to having not on 4G speed as someone pointed out you are on 3.5G compare to 4G on M1.
Try to restart the phone and get to 4G status then do the speedtest.
Old 29-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #5544
Arch-Supremacy Member

The porting process should be at 2300 hours and would take a while to be completed.

Porting has nothing to do with data speed as it is only affect the mobile line number.

Your slow speed should be due to having not on 4G speed as someone pointed out you are on 3.5G compare to 4G on M1.
Try to restart the phone and get to 4G status then do the speedtest.

I put this setting liao, both old and new sim card are on this configuration.

Starhub

M1

As the above comparison, SH seems to be underperforming on my phone...
As mentioned, same location, same phone, time about 3 minutes apart only...

Old 29-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #5545
Supremacy Member

https://i.imgur.com/N7BYLgnl.png

I put this setting liao, both old and new sim card are on this configuration.

https://i.imgur.com/R68u3PVl.png

https://i.imgur.com/8GF4M8Hl.png

Starhub

https://i.imgur.com/MMc0bKEl.png

https://i.imgur.com/m76s2Jcl.png

M1

As the above comparison, SH seems to be underperforming on my phone...
As mentioned, same location, same phone, time about 3 minutes apart only...

Using Redmi Note 4 dual SIM slot.. not sure if the 2nd slot able to use 4G/LTE or not together with 1st slot.

Try to deselect (offline) the M1 slot and let Starhub slot to make full use of 4G/LTE, if possible or not by showing 4G status.
Old 29-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #5546
Arch-Supremacy Member

Using Redmi Note 4 dual SIM slot.. not sure if the 2nd slot able to use 4G/LTE or not together with 1st slot.

Try to deselect (offline) the M1 slot and let Starhub slot to make full use of 4G/LTE, if possible or not by showing 4G status.
I knew of this constraint too, so I tested both sim cards on the tray 1 which accepts LTE, tray 2 can't. Both I also shutdown the phone, insert sim card then boot up again to test...

The tests, I make sure tray 2 is empty also. So basically both sim cards are tested on same fairness.

Quite sian actually... Maybe I monitor see how for a month of two bah. If speed is bad, then just port to other telco. It's fine since sim only right.

Just for my curiosity though. What is an average download speed (not highest or lowest) I should be expecting on Starhub sim only plan ???

Old 29-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #5547

Wah, big difference leh. Yours is sim only plan??? Could it be because my number is still pending port over from m1 to starhub, thus the speed is greatly restricted???
Btw, phone models shouldn't make a difference bah, does it???

Mine is the latest sim only plan. Not porting, from starhub 3gb to starhub 13gb.

Sent from HUAWEI MATE 20 using GAGT
Old 29-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #5548
Supremacy Member

I knew of this constraint too, so I tested both sim cards on the tray 1 which accepts LTE, tray 2 can't. Both I also shutdown the phone, insert sim card then boot up again to test...

The tests, I make sure tray 2 is empty also. So basically both sim cards are tested on same fairness.

Quite sian actually... Maybe I monitor see how for a month of two bah. If speed is bad, then just port to other telco. It's fine since sim only right.

Just for my curiosity though. What is an average download speed (not highest or lowest) I should be expecting on Starhub sim only plan ???

Speedtest is very much depend on locations and signal reception at that point.

For example during the past 2 hours testing on 4G/LTE i have download speed 97 ~ 44 range and upload speed 40 ~ 7 range on highest to lowest, using Samsung S7 Edge.

So try do test at different timing and locations.
Old 29-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #5549

Your current location might not have good signal for starhub 4g. Try go other areas. Travel abit before you test again. Like if your current location is north area, maybe try town area see the speed. If the speed is good, that means your area has poor starhub 4g network.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT
Old 29-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #5550

If your company has CIS and the telco went down to your company for roadshow, it worths for you to take a look.

I got quite a good offer today. Sign up for starhub $50 plan. Got additional free 800 mins talk time. With CIS, monthly cost is $40. Purchase Mate 20 X at $79 and sold it off at $840. Divide the profit by 24 mths, monthly I am like paying less than $9 for 900 mins outgoing calls, 15gb data with unlimited weekends.

Got another deal for M1 CIS roadshow too. Lite+ plan with CIS is $25.50 monthly. They give 400 mins outgoing calls and 8gb data. Bought iphone xs (64gb) for $800 and sold for $1270. Divide the profit by 24 mths. Monthly cost for the plan is less than $6.

So actually if you have the opportunity, should take a look at such plans. It is definitely cheaper than the current sim-only plans.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.