HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Comparison of SIM only plans

Like Tree698Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #5776
Supremacy Member

Makes me laughed... HK SIM card? spare phone? Portable wifi?

So why not just use my 10GB data from M1 for only $25? Shake head.... why do something simple when one can come up with a complicated way....
Data Passport is simple hassle free. Getting local sim card you have to look for the shop or queue at airport to get it done.

Data Passport, once your plane landed, straight away after turning off flight mode can receive 4G data already. No need wait for queues at airport or wifi
Jurong640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #5777

Data Passport is simple hassle free. Getting local sim card you have to look for the shop or queue at airport to get it done.

Data Passport, once your plane landed, straight away after turning off flight mode can receive 4G data already. No need wait for queues at airport or wifi
Wait a few minutes will die.
tanchoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #5778

Nothing wrong with getting a local SIM when travelling when you have a dual SIM phone or already have mifi. It's always cheaper to get the local SIM of that country than using data passport.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT
Not only is it generally cheaper. But the data is also sure to work, and you'll get a local number for Uber or Grab drivers to contact you. Some of them will reject the moment they see a foreign number.
tanchoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #5779

no one plan suit all and is the champion of champions... just get the plan that suits you the individual.

I personally prefer Orange and didn’t mind the 12 months contract, I get loads more than what I use to get with Red.

The data passport suit my particular needs because I spent a lot of time in China, I have a local Chinese SIM card but that’s purely for my local Chinese contents.

As suggested by some, use VPN lah... Yep, on paid VPN plan too. After trying some time using VPN to download / upload photos or email attachment... Given that up liao.

Each to his own since everyone has different needs.
zzxxzzxx likes this.

Last edited by SibehHL; 11-04-2019 at 07:59 PM..
SibehHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #5780

Not only is it generally cheaper. But the data is also sure to work, and you'll get a local number for Uber or Grab drivers to contact you. Some of them will reject the moment they see a foreign number.

For me it's the new user promo that is the best
kailee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #5781

You can actually buy the SIM card of that country in Singapore before leaving Singapore. There are quite common at shopee / lazada / qoo10. Just activate it before leaving Singapore. You can use it right away when you reach that country. I use that when I go Europe last year.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT
zzxxzzxx likes this.
Shadowz1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #5782
Master Member

China local sim card has one more usage -- I have one to use with some Chinese apps. I got it (移动王卡 from China Mobile) with the help from relative in China, RMB9 or S$1.8 per month, used mainly for receiving SMS verification code. It is also quite cheap to get data during my short trips to China (RMB1 or S$0.2 per GB per day).

It is said that there are cheaper plans like RMB5 or S$1 per month from China Unicom or China Telecom.
zzxxzzxx likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 11-04-2019 at 09:15 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #5783
Master Member

no one plan suit all and is the champion of champions... just get the plan that suits you the individual.

I personally prefer Orange and didn’t mind the 12 months contract, I get loads more than what I use to get with Red.

The data passport suit my particular needs because I spent a lot of time in China, I have a local Chinese SIM card but that’s purely for my local Chinese contents.

As suggested by some, use VPN lah... Yep, on paid VPN plan too. After trying some time using VPN to download / upload photos or email attachment... Given that up liao.

Each to his own since everyone has different needs.
Since you visit China often you may try Shadowsocks providers (飞机场) to see if they work better than traditional VPN vendors.

For paid VPN, you may want to try VPN.ac in China.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #5784
Supremacy Member

You can actually buy the SIM card of that country in Singapore before leaving Singapore. There are quite common at shopee / lazada / qoo10. Just activate it before leaving Singapore. You can use it right away when you reach that country. I use that when I go Europe last year.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT
I use that for my Europe trip last year too. Data passport is another alternative, some people just want hassle free, dont want change sim cards.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #5785

Am very happy to see my m1 app now reflects 20gb of data. Hehe

Regarding the unlimited weekend data, is it from tomorrow afternoon midnight 12, it will auto switch to free flow data?

M1 has added the unlimited data for me. Just don't know how to activate
Old 11-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #5786
Supremacy Member

Regarding the unlimited weekend data, is it from tomorrow afternoon midnight 12, it will auto switch to free flow data?

Unlimited data will start at Saturday 0000hrs to Sunday 23:59:59.
Your data counter will be paused during the 48hours.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #5787

Starts from sat 0:00hrs till sun 23:59hrs
Once you have it showing in vas, will auto kick in.
You could check by screenshot data usage in app on start and compare it at the end incremental should be zero or something insignificant.

boliao45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:49 AM   #5788

Thank you for the information
Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #5789

China local sim card has one more usage -- I have one to use with some Chinese apps. I got it (移动王卡 from China Mobile) with the help from relative in China, RMB9 or S$1.8 per month, used mainly for receiving SMS verification code. It is also quite cheap to get data during my short trips to China (RMB1 or S$0.2 per GB per day).

It is said that there are cheaper plans like RMB5 or S$1 per month from China Unicom or China Telecom.
Yes, China Unicom is only RMB5 per month. $0.20 per 1GB or $0.60 unlimited.

For short or single trip to china in a month, cheapest option is local Sim.
About $4.50 for 7 days stay.
I connect to NordVPN.
Cons: Need to off VPN when 滴滴 , 美团,高德地图 for location.

Probably if I need to travel multiple countries , then I consider the $25 data passport.

But there are some questions
$10 data passport include Taiwan, Hong Kong.
$25 data passport include Japan, South Korea & China.

So if I want to travel to Macau -> Hongkong -> China.
Or Taiwan & China.

Do I need to purchase both $10+$25 data passport?

So far, only two options local Sim or data passport?
Any third option that is mid range price & more convenience

Last edited by Sglastexile; 12-04-2019 at 07:21 AM..
Sglastexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #5790

Since you visit China often you may try Shadowsocks providers (飞机场) to see if they work better than traditional VPN vendors.

For paid VPN, you may want to try VPN.ac in China.
Thanks mate for the suggestion but I am quite satisfied with the current arrangement using data passport overseas.

Last edited by SibehHL; 12-04-2019 at 08:15 AM..
SibehHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.