HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Comparison of SIM only plans

Like Tree791Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #5851
Supremacy Member

Good luck. I bought a StarHub prepaid for roaming purposes . But most times it is just so unstable it barely works. End up had to buy another roaming plan on Singtel or just buy local SIM...
Last year went China, my buddies bought starhub prepaid, it didn't work the entire time over there.

My M1 data passport just works once the plane touches down. If you refer to those threads about data roaming. M1 data passport is one of the best or if not the best.
Old 26-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #5852

Last year went China, my buddies bought starhub prepaid, it didn't work the entire time over there.

My M1 data passport just works once the plane touches down. If you refer to those threads about data roaming. M1 data passport is one of the best or if not the best.
Except for local sim, nothing beats M1 data passport.
Old 26-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #5853

Except for local sim, nothing beats M1 data passport.
Which is why I always simply use local SIM card. Sure to work. Plus you get a local number which is useful for Grab and Uber.
Old 26-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #5854

Your buddies probably didn’t set the correct APN??

I am currently in China and using both M1 data passport and Starhub Prepaid roaming. Both are working well roaming on China Mobile (中国移动) network.

On the other hand, will not recommend using NordVPN with local Chinese SIM cards, think the Chinese have managed to block NordVPN. I did not manage to connect with any servers at all using Chinese SIM card. Time to find another good VPN when back in Singapore...
Old 26-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #5855

I am currently in China and using both M1 data passport and Starhub Prepaid roaming. Both are working well roaming on China Mobile (中国移动) network.

On the other hand, will not recommend using NordVPN with local Chinese SIM cards, think the Chinese have managed to block NordVPN. I did not manage to connect with any servers at all using Chinese SIM card. Time to find another good VPN when back in Singapore...
if what you want is just to bypass censorship, just run a VPN server on your router or pc at home. No need to spend money on one.
Old 26-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #5856

if what you want is just to bypass censorship, just run a VPN server on your router or pc at home. No need to spend money on one.
I am not familiar with IT stuff, appreciate you elaborate a bit on running VPN server on router or PC at Home.... I will google the details after understanding the concept.

How does it help me if I am abroad and my mobile lines are not connected to my router at home. Thanks
Old 26-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #5857

If your WiFi router have a VPN server function, you can create one and connect to it. Basically instead of connecting to a VPN server hosted by Nord or other company, you connect to a VPN server hosted at your home.

Most WiFi router should have a simple interface and step by step guide on creating a VPN server.
Old 26-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #5858
Master Member

Try VPN.ac to see if that works or not.

Or you may have to consider using those Shadowsocks providers if you go to China often.
Old 26-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #5859
Master Member

If your WiFi router have a VPN server function, you can create one and connect to it. Basically instead of connecting to a VPN server hosted by Nord or other company, you connect to a VPN server hosted at your home.

Most WiFi router should have a simple interface and step by step guide on creating a VPN server.
Just take note usually the router only has simple OpenVPN server and this OpenVPN setup is easily detected by the Great Firewall and is not guaranteed to work.

There are multiple reports of this type of OpenVPN servers blocked in China.

If one is really technical savvy then it is better to set up a Wireguard, Shadowsocks (SSR) or other types of VPN servers to bypass the Great Firewall.
Old 26-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #5860

Just take note usually the router only has simple OpenVPN server and this OpenVPN setup is easily detected by the Great Firewall and is not guaranteed to work.

There are multiple reports of this type of OpenVPN servers blocked in China.

If one is really technical savvy then it is better to set up a Wireguard, Shadowsocks (SSR) or other types of VPN servers to bypass the Great Firewall.
Hmm I tot china only check see if IP address belongs to a public VPN then block? Maybe they change to more advanced system.

I think google outline should be good to use in this scenario.
Old 26-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #5861

NordVPN works fine for me.
Don’t select the “Quick Connect”, manually select the servers there are thousands of server.
Try a few times, once it work. Save it as Favourite.
It works fine in Guangzhou & Chongqing, though it might disconnect after few hrs.
Old 26-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #5862

Here’s another data point. Just back fm trip to UK, Helsinki, HK, Macau, Malaysia, Bangkok. Was on StarHub and data travel worked perfectly in all locations. Cheaper than M1 which charges country by country and draws fm your data. Now back in SG and I still have my full data entitlement.
Old 26-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #5863
Master Member

Hmm I tot china only check see if IP address belongs to a public VPN then block? Maybe they change to more advanced system.

I think google outline should be good to use in this scenario.
GFW is one of the most advanced firewall in the world.

Simplified introduction to the blocking techniques used. They use all kinds of things including deep packet analysis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grea...ll?wprov=sfla1

In fact most of the VPN if not all the VPN may not work during sensitive times, including the recommended Express VPN, Nord VPN and VPN.ac which usually work.

That is why the alternative solutions like SSR, Wireguard, V2Ray are more popular for those inside China.

Ref: read the comment by badsector in the VPN thread as well.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...07778-127.html

Last edited by xiaofan; 26-04-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Old 26-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #5864
Master Member

Starhub prepaid card worked fine for me for two trips in 2017/2018.

SingTel postpaid plan data roaming also worked for me for two trips in 2017. It was more expensive but that was a company phone for work.

All three telcos should all work as long as you get 4G data connection. 3G/2G can be a problem.

In the end, the best is to have both a Singapore sim and a local sim. That is what I did for my Dec 2018 trip.

VPN is only for those who need to stay for long time.
Old 26-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #5865

For M1 mySIM plans with 12/24 months contract, is the caller ID still free or chargeable at $5 per month after the contract auto renew at the end of 12/24 months?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.