Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Online Exclusive: 25GB + FREE weekend data at $25.
Comes with 100 mins, FREE incoming calls and Caller Number Display. Add on 50GB with worry-free data at just $10/month.

Great deal for Starhub Sim only.

But no more monthly rebates I think.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
StarHub speed in Tampines ish welly fast..
fPxHxG2.png

This is real fast. Yesterday I went there I also can get above 70Mbps for download speed easily near mrt there. Tampines seems to have very good speed for Starhub.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
But no more monthly rebates I think.

Later 9am can try, yes likely no have.

But not bad deal. Meaning extra $5 for 10gb. Ok also.

If you want 75gb, only $35. This is very good deal too if you really need such amount of data.

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Provide your data to disprove then.

I believe these guys have done their experiments. Otherwise, they won't be making such claims.

Here is a better explanation. And I agree block size is the smallest denomination in calculating the mobile data. Smaller text messages will have bigger impact using larger block size.

https://en.ocworkbench.com/larger-data-block-leads-to-faster-draining-of-allocated-mobile-data/

data...?? this one ownself can prove it easily... 1MB means 1000 messages will clock 1GB data usage... anyone with zero1 or redone can just count how many messages sent and received to see how much data is used...

also i dunno why would u trust that website simply because someone else wrote it and publish as article...?? they didn't provide their data either... so why would u trust them...?

the point is... yes definitely i understand larger data blocks means faster data usage and diff telcos probably use diff data block size... but the actual block size that site never proved that they are 100KB or 1MB but merely got the value based on what the telco says -- and i suspect telcos wouldn't tell u the network data block size but they are referring to charging block size... and the website simply made the wrong conclusion...

chances are the actual data block size range between 1KB to at most 20KB...

regards,
wacky

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Provide your data to disprove then.

I believe these guys have done their experiments. Otherwise, they won't be making such claims.

Here is a better explanation. And I agree block size is the smallest denomination in calculating the mobile data. Smaller text messages will have bigger impact using larger block size.

https://en.ocworkbench.com/larger-data-block-leads-to-faster-draining-of-allocated-mobile-data/

They did mention they got those 1MB details from the T&C or FAQ. I’ve looked and it isn’t very clear what exactly they mean by a “block”. Their website definitely did not do their own testing.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They did mention they got those 1MB details from the T&C or FAQ. I’ve looked and it isn’t very clear what exactly they mean by a “block”. Their website definitely did not do their own testing.

Let's just think logically.

If that information is not critical, telcos wouldn't specify it.

If it is just a rounding thingy, then there won't be much impact. Not necessary to mention in the FAQ.

You agree?

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still no sms?

If need all rounded package (data, SMS and mins), best choice is M1.
30GB data, 1k sms, 1k mins, free unlimited spotify.

+5GB Free for SAFRA members.

Downside, 6months free caller ID and unlimited weekend data.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the point is... yes definitely i understand larger data blocks means faster data usage and diff telcos probably use diff data block size... but the actual block size that site never proved that they are 100KB or 1MB but merely got the value based on what the telco says -- and i suspect telcos wouldn't tell u the network data block size but they are referring to charging block size... and the website simply made the wrong conclusion...

chances are the actual data block size range between 1KB to at most 20KB...

charging by blocks simply means if you only use 10KB vs 50KB... both will cost the same because they just round them up in 100KB blocks...

of cos unlikely one only uses 10KB in a month... so lets say maybe you used 20,000.42MB of data in a month and you have 20GB data free every month... charging by 1MB blocks mean that 0.42MB in excess will be treated as 1MB..

Please give a thorough thought on your claim.

In a month, a subscriber typically uses data in the order of GB.

A typical usage will be for an example 4,888,043,088 Bytes.

So how does the data block size going to affect the above usage? You try rounding up to 1MB or 100KB. Any impact or not?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Still no sms?

No sms. But one can sign up GIRO or recurring credit card payment for additional 100 free sms which should be more than enough.

Best deal is during the comex it show in September which they give extra 100min talk time and 100 sms on TOP of usual 100 mins talk time + 15gb data plus $120 cash rebate plus free weekend data which I helped my sis sister changed to it.

squarepipe

Reaction score

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let's just think logically.

If that information is not critical, telcos wouldn't specify it.

If it is just a rounding thingy, then there won't be much impact. Not necessary to mention in the FAQ.

You agree?

logically... telcos wouldn't want you to know their network block size... that should be confidential information regarding how they optimize their network...

so what they list there should only be something that customers will be concerned about... i.e. to handle excess data charging how they charge by blocks...

regards,
wacky

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please give a thorough thought on your claim.

In a month, a subscriber typically uses data in the order of GB.

A typical usage will be for an example 4,888,043,088 Bytes.

So how does the data block size going to affect the above usage? You try rounding up to 1MB or 100KB. Any impact or not?

if we talking about data charging block... yes of cos got impact...

let's say it costs $10/GB... and u only get 4GB free... means 888,043,088 is chargeable at $10/GB...

if you round up to 1GB then it costs $10 extra...
if you round up to 100MB then it costs $9 extra..
if you round up to 10MB then it costs $8.9 extra...
if you round up to 1MB then it costs $8.89 extra...
if you round up to 100KB then it costs $8.88 extra...

well 1 cent may not be alot but it is still not $0.... especially if it refers to data roaming then it's no longer $10/GB but much more...

regards,
wacky

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

fmradio

Reaction score
Lol pls check the speed during sat and sun with weekend free data. If someone can confirm if SH artificially cap the speed to 5 mbps during weekend free data lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.