HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Comparison of SIM only plans

Like Tree791Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #9451
Master Member

Agree. That's why I move out from M1 and not sign up with Singtel and Starhub as I don't need so much data, talktime and SMS.

Signed up for $10 giga. The comfort of just need to pay $1 for 100 min more talktime or $2 for 1GB more data as and when needed is reassuring.

If the 🚦still don't wake up, they will start losing customers to MVNOs. I will move my father out from Singtel once his contract end. To pay $27 when he don't use any data or SMS is crazy.
I am just wondering how many of these MVNOs will survive. It is just not economically viable to have so many. Gomo and Giga are safer choices probably because they are behind SingTel and Starhub

I feel the government is putting too much trusts in the market force.

I was the user of Virgin Mobile, high profile joint venture of SingTel and Virgin group, it did not survive long.

Look at the open market on the electricity distribution, look at the bike sharing thingy. Luckily they scrap the e-scooter sharing...

Sorry for the rant...
Old 09-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #9452

Businesses comes and go so not sure why gov has to control or ensure they are profitable...
Old 09-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #9453
Master Member

Businesses comes and go so not sure why gov has to control or ensure they are profitable...
Not to ensure they are profitable but to ensure the consumers get well taken care of and not to get burned when the businesses go bust. For example, the deposit for Obike and ofo.

Anyway this is out of topic.Sorry to sidetrack.
cpuer likes this.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #9454

Singtel 6GB S$54 jump to M1 20GB S$20 jump to M1 25GB S$25 and now jump to Gomo 20GB S$20.
YouHeypiCanLiao likes this.

Hello, Are you Captain Obvious?
Old 09-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #9455
Supremacy Member

I am just wondering how many of these MVNOs will survive. It is just not economically viable to have so many. Gomo and Giga are safer choices probably because they are behind SingTel and Starhub

I was the user of Virgin Mobile, high profile joint venture of SingTel and Virgin group, it did not survive long.

Look at the open market on the electricity distribution, look at the bike sharing thingy. Luckily they scrap the e-scooter sharing...

Sorry for the rant...
I see your point. That is the thing about no-contract. Remember few weeks ago we saw Zero Mobile sent an email with regards to the cessation of ZeroX plan? That might tell us, nothing is definite, they might wind down or change their plans forcing you into the new plans.

The Open Electricity Market has saw the fall of 2 or 3 companies with some merging. Like what you mentioned on Virgin Mobile, close anytime.

Getting into contracts might be bad, but there will be good side too. If you want play safe, stay with the 3 telcos (4 next year).
Old 09-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #9456

Drop back to the base plan of no talktime with 3gb of data i think.

Can check with you this singtel you sign is 12 mth plan correct? After 12 mth revert back to how much data and talktime?
Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #9457

Thing is, the big 3 still earn from the MVNOs haha. The latter borrow bandwidth from MNOs.

Agree. That's why I move out from M1 and not sign up with Singtel and Starhub as I don't need so much data, talktime and SMS.

Signed up for $10 giga. The comfort of just need to pay $1 for 100 min more talktime or $2 for 1GB more data as and when needed is reassuring.

If the 🚦still don't wake up, they will start losing customers to MVNOs. I will move my father out from Singtel once his contract end. To pay $27 when he don't use any data or SMS is crazy.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #9458
Master Member

Drop back to the base plan of no talktime with 3gb of data i think.
Hmm, that is the S$20 3GB no talk time no contract base plan, pretty bad.

But probably does not matter, after contract can get new SingTel SIM Only plan offer or port to Gomo/Giga.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #9459
Master Member

Thing is, the big 3 still earn from the MVNOs haha. The latter borrow bandwidth from MNOs.
That is why the big three MNOs will have higher chance of survive -- they provide the vital base infrastructure to the MVNOs yet they compete with the MVNOs. Guess what will happen if the MVNOs grow too fast...

On the broadband side, the number of MVNOs seem to be better controlled. No new players can survive and no new players will be interested anyway (except TPG).
Old 09-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #9460
High Supremacy Member

Sorry for the rant...
yeah... i also wonder how many of these MNVOs will survive... if any...

oh well... watever the case... just enjoy cheaper plans now... when the day comes if the MNVO that i am using going to uplorry then talk...

regards,
wacky
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #9461
High Supremacy Member

That is why the big three MNOs will have higher chance of survive -- they provide the vital base infrastructure to the MVNOs yet they compete with the MVNOs. Guess what will happen if the MVNOs grow too fast...

On the broadband side, the number of MVNOs seem to be better controlled. No new players can survive and no new players will be interested anyway (except TPG).
actually wat u need is to open up pay TV... now only got singtel and starhub.... netflix not quite the same because they don't offer the same kind of contents...

regards,
wacky
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #9462

Don't forget the customers who stay because of family perks or loyalty or worse, because they want a new phone. Yes, there are some customers who still sign up for device contract without CIS.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #9463
Master Member

Don't forget the customers who stay because of family perks or loyalty or worse, because they want a new phone. Yes, there are some customers who still sign up for device contract without CIS.
Haha, that is me.

SingTel Combo 2, no CIS, S$42.9 (before 10% discount) +S$5 Caller ID +S$ 5.9 for Data x 3, just to get 6GB data. You can say it is crazy. But ...

Reason is to have SingTel Circle annual handset upgrade. Plan is to buy iPhone for my wife every two years (and an Android mid-end phone for myself or my mum in law). The device subsidy translate to be about S$750 or S$31.25 per month for 24months. Or actually more since my wife likes to have 256GB minimum iPhone because of the needs to capture education videos for my kids. And I do not like to buy iPhones from small shops, only from Apple or authorized sellers. The kids are also used to iOS device like iPhone and iPads.

If not for the iPhone, I would have changed to SIM only plan. I myself can live with low end Android phones (tested S$199 Realme 5 SD665 3GB/64GB phone).

And yes I will convert the other Combo 2 plan to SIM only later this month once its contract expires.

Last edited by xiaofan; 09-12-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Old 09-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #9464
Master Member

Woah I'm not entitled to give an opinion?

Manufactures can manufacture a car at 500 km/h.

If you drive in SG, that speed is an overkill.

So same goes to a SIM plan. You can come out with a 100GB plan.

But not everyone is watching or downloading videos all the time.

Some may prefer lower subscription cost in exchange for smaller data.

And like I said, 10-20GB at lower cost may potentially be a sweet spot.
Chill bro, I've explained more...

If the Telco's cheapest plan ain't cost effective for certain group of people's usage, they have choice to go other Telco.

But it's better for IMDA to enforce telco have plans for more basic and lower fee.

Like when they dropped 12GB 3G to 2GB 4G plans....
The telco say, most users don't use more than 2GB.....
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #9465

Ok i found out liao. Will revert back to 20gb for $25 with no talktime no sms no cid.

Hmm, that is the S$20 3GB no talk time no contract base plan, pretty bad.

But probably does not matter, after contract can get new SingTel SIM Only plan offer or port to Gomo/Giga.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.