Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

galapogos

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a SIM only plan, and so far I'm leaning towards StarHub or Circles.Life after comparing the 3 main telcos and Circles.Life.

Does anyone know if any of the 3 main telcos offer free caller number display? I know Circles.Life does, and StarHub doesn't. I've always been on CIS plans so they've always been included in the plan.

I've done a simple tabulation of the charges of the 4 telcos:

PHP:
Provider            Circles.Life    Singtel         M1                Starhub
Plan                                                mySIM+ 20         4G 3
Base data(GB)       4               3               3                 3
Additional data(GB) 2.5             2               3                 3
Total data(GB)      6.5             5               6                 6
Voice(min)          100             150             300               150
Free incoming?      N               Y               Y                 Y
SMS                 0               500             1000              1000
Voice $/min         0.08			
$/SMS               0.05			
Caller ID           Free            5.35            5.35              5.35
Additional data     0               5.35            5.90              6
Base price          28              20              20                21.45
Total price         28              30.70           31.25             32.8
1 time charges      18              48.15           10.70             37.45
Remarks             w/port-in &     1-time charge   w/upsized data &  w/Plus 3
                    Lazada code     waived w/12mo   12mo contract     
                    Free Whatsapp   contract

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
I think starhub if u pay $6 a MONTH can get another 3GB of data.

Not sure about circle but they are on M1 network.

galapogos

Reaction score
I think starhub if u pay $6 a MONTH can get another 3GB of data.

Not sure about circle but they are on M1 network.

Yup I know about the Plus 3. That's why it's 1 of my choices. However, it doesn't offer caller number display so it works out to be more expensive than Circles.Life.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Circles.Life $28 plan don't include unlimited free incoming calls. You need top pay $2 more for that.
5GB data (port in, more over time), 100 mins outgoing, 0 SMS for $30/mth Inc caller ID.

StarHub 4G 3 SIM-only with Plus 3 is $32.80/mth for 6GB data, 150 mins talk, 1000 SMS and Caller ID.

M1 mySIM+ 20 (12-mth) with Upsized Data is $25.90/mth excluding Caller ID display, with 6GB data, 150 mins talk and 800 SMS. I remember seeing other HWZ members mentioning that M1 includes 3 month caller ID display (or more) for CIS customers as long as you show the pass. So in that manner it would only be ~$4.01/mth for 12 months contract (pay only 9 months) and therefore add up to $29.91/mth.

M1's network is far more reliable than StarHub and the data calculation on their own MyM1 app is much more accurate. Circles.Life is using M1's network so I would expect similar quality.

I was on StarHub Postpaid from 29 Sep to 24 Oct (yesterday) and I've terminated the line because their billing system is nothing but horrendous.

MyStarHub won't show the real usage during the billing period, then last billing day shoot up to the "real usage", which can be a few GBs. Saw it online on other places and it seems to be the same issue for mine. That's why I forcefully cut the line (no contract) after calling 10 times in just a day trying to explain the same issue over and over yet nobody can help.

Sent from Sony E5653 using GAGT

Maserati

Reaction score
Hi do you mean the Starhub app used for checking data usage is so unreliable?
If that is the case why SH app provide wrong information and mislead users :vijayadmin:
The purpose of checking data usage if to provide info so that the user can adjust usage.
If it is a difference of few Mbs that is fine but in Gbs is too much

galapogos

Reaction score
Thanks for the input lohsengslte

PHP:
Provider            Circles.Life    Singtel         M1                Starhub
Plan                                                mySIM+ 20         4G 3
Base data(GB)       4               3               3                 3
Additional data(GB) 2.5             2               3                 3
Total data(GB)      6.5             5               6                 6
Voice(min)          100             150             300               150
Free incoming?      N               Y               Y                 Y
SMS                 0               500             1000              1000
Voice $/min         0.08			
$/SMS               0.05			
Caller ID           Free            5.35            5.35              5.35
Additional data     0               5.35            5.90              6
Base price          28              20              20                21.45
Total price         28              30.70           31.25             32.8
1 time charges      18              48.15           10.70             37.45
Remarks             w/port-in &     1-time charge   w/upsized data &  w/Plus 3
                    Lazada code     waived w/12mo   12mo contract     
                    Free Whatsapp   contract

Last edited:

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actual usage is 300+MB as recorded by my phone on one of the days and confirmed by StarHub Billing hotline, but MyStarHub app only records 100+MB. It's a recurring issue, and called StarHub yet they can't even fix the issue. Horrendous.

Hi do you mean the Starhub app used for checking data usage is so unreliable?
If that is the case why SH app provide wrong information and mislead users :vijayadmin:
The purpose of checking data usage if to provide info so that the user can adjust usage.
If it is a difference of few Mbs that is fine but in Gbs is too much

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since you are using Plus 3, you may as well add in the mySIM+ 20 & Upsized Data. 6GB for $31 or so.

Thanks for the input lohsengslte

PHP:
Provider    Circles.Life      Singtel M1                    Starhub
Plan                                  mySIM+ 30             4G 3
Data(GB)    4-6.5             5       4/6                   6
Voice(min)  100               150     300                   150
SMS         0                 500     1000                  1000
Voice $/min 0.08			
$/SMS       0.05			
Caller ID   Free              5.35    5.35                  5.35
Price       28                30.7    35.35                 32.8
Remarks     No free incoming
            Free Whatsapp             6GB w/12mo contract   6GB w/Plus 3
            6.5GB w/port-in
            & Lazada offer

galapogos

Reaction score
Since you are using Plus 3, you may as well add in the mySIM+ 20 & Upsized Data. 6GB for $31 or so.

Good call, I didn't see that. Any idea if upsized data/plus 3 has some promotion period that will end, or is it a long-running thing?

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good call, I didn't see that. Any idea if upsized data/plus 3 has some promotion period that will end, or is it a long-running thing?
Not sure about it, but most likely M1 Upsized Data will be ongoing. They state that $5.90/mth will be throughout the contract, and will be raised to $9.90/mth if out of contract. Back to contract and the price will drop back to $5.90/mth.

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
My suggestion:

Sign up a plan that has no contract and wait for My Republic. Once they win the bid and going operational (in 6-9months time my guess), the 3 incumbent will drop their pants with new plans.

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My suggestion:

Sign up a plan that has no contract and wait for My Republic. Once they win the bid and going operational (in 6-9months time my guess), the 3 incumbent will drop their pants with new plans.

Then we will see better plans and time to flip again.

Yes. Upsized Data is applicable only for mySIM+ plans on 12 month contract OR 2 year handset contract.

https://www.m1.com.sg/upsizeddata

I think it is better to stick with SIM only plans without contract, easier to pull out anytime.

Yup I know about the Plus 3. That's why it's 1 of my choices. However, it doesn't offer caller number display so it works out to be more expensive than Circles.Life.

I am not familiar with SH SIM only plans, but on paper it is slightly more expensive than CL while you will maintain your 6GB of data after this year.

Only been using SH since 3G days, they had bad network at my place (West area) so I switched to ST and finally CL.

As a current CL user, I can share some delights and woes of the service.

For CL, you can only get 6GB for now and it will be reduced to 5GB by next year due to the end of the promotion.

Aside from that, you can get more permanent data by their promotions and referral (each referral is 250 MB added to your total monthly data).
The top guy of the leader board is hanging on to 24GB per month.

While if you spend more on talktime, you can invest it in the Whatsapp call since it is totally free for CL users (no data charge for all Whatsapp use).

On the flip side, there are some pains getting my ST number to port in to CL.

Firstly there will be this delivery of SIM card to your given address, and can only be received by you or your authorized person (must be holding the LOA with your NRIC).

Once the postman (singpost :mad:) fakes a failed delivery (no press doorbell and simply leave a failed delivery form), you had to complain to CL and ensure they do not charge for re-delivery.

Bad choice of post service I must say.
Had to standby at the exact time of delivery with my door open to ensure successful delivery. :s22:

Second ordeal starts with port in from ST.
Took a few days of feedback to their customer service before they finally had successful port in.

Third issue is the promised bonus data, I had to hound the CS people to ensure my bonus data is fully calculated in my account (using their app).

You can also see they recently had some network issues, presumed it happens to all telcos at their early stages of business.
And some complains regarding billing, as now payment is only automatically deducted from your credit card.

Otherwise, their 4G speed is pretty good and is somewhat faster than ST at some places as I am using two SIM - CL and ST.
If I am not using 4G in places with bad network, CL has better 3G connectivity compared to ST.

Just my few cents.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then we will see better plans and time to flip again.

I think it is better to stick with SIM only plans without contract, easier to pull out anytime.

I am not familiar with SH SIM only plans, but on paper it is slightly more expensive than CL while you will maintain your 6GB of data after this year.

Only been using SH since 3G days, they had bad network at my place (West area) so I switched to ST and finally CL.

As a current CL user, I can share some delights and woes of the service.

For CL, you can only get 6GB for now and it will be reduced to 5GB by next year due to the end of the promotion.

Aside from that, you can get more permanent data by their promotions and referral (each referral is 250 MB added to your total monthly data).
The top guy of the leader board is hanging on to 24GB per month.

While if you spend more on talktime, you can invest it in the Whatsapp call since it is totally free for CL users (no data charge for all Whatsapp use).

On the flip side, there are some pains getting my ST number to port in to CL.

Firstly there will be this delivery of SIM card to your given address, and can only be received by you or your authorized person (must be holding the LOA with your NRIC).

Once the postman (singpost :mad:) fakes a failed delivery (no press doorbell and simply leave a failed delivery form), you had to complain to CL and ensure they do not charge for re-delivery.

Bad choice of post service I must say.
Had to standby at the exact time of delivery with my door open to ensure successful delivery. :s22:

Second ordeal starts with port in from ST.
Took a few days of feedback to their customer service before they finally had successful port in.

Third issue is the promised bonus data, I had to hound the CS people to ensure my bonus data is fully calculated in my account (using their app).

You can also see they recently had some network issues, presumed it happens to all telcos at their early stages of business.
And some complains regarding billing, as now payment is only automatically deducted from your credit card.

Otherwise, their 4G speed is pretty good and is somewhat faster than ST at some places as I am using two SIM - CL and ST.
If I am not using 4G in places with bad network, CL has better 3G connectivity compared to ST.

Just my few cents.
Given the fact that typical MVNOs get a lower priority than MNOs, it is surprising to see that Circles (MVNO) still can outperform ST (MNO). This already shows how M1's network (MNO) is superior already, since Circles is relying on M1 for the network services.

Billing-wise, it is fully automated by Circles, so it is different from M1. I can't say much about it. I rarely have billing issues with M1 Postpaid Mobile and Fibre Broadband services.

But seriously, never go for StarHub again. Slow 3G/4G + full of billing issues just within first month of service with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.