HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

esim discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #16
Supremacy Member

I will thought it's the opposite. For biz traveller profile, office SIM card as you will unlikely to change since it's office line.

ESIM for travelling purpose. I can buy before my trip and no need to queue to scan passport and make payment.

I think there's a few eSIM vendor that offer data roaming to most countries.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Actually my thinking is the same.

Not only physical SIM gives you a piece of mind if anything goes haywire on your main phone, requiring you to put in secondary handset to get at least the basics running, it also gives you flexibility to change device whenever needed.

Meanwhile, eSIM is for easy switching. People can have multiple plans to switch between without removing the sim card, adding more data to their existing pool. For overseas, if the operator(s) support eSIM, can add that into the phone and you're good to go, that's as long as you've internet connection. If the country doesn't support eSIM, there's probably alternatives like Airalo and Ubigi that provides solutions. It's not as cheap, but it's still an option.
Oh, if eligible for M1 Corporate Individual Scheme, can always get M1 Enterprise Mobile plans. Bundled with a few GB of roaming data per month, and excess rate of $5.35/GB, good for those business people. 75 countries included isn't a small list, doubt many will go to countries that aren't in the list anyway for business and leisure. M1 supports eSIM anyway, so it's yet another profile that you can switch to if needed.
lohsenglte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #17

Actually my thinking is the same.

Not only physical SIM gives you a piece of mind if anything goes haywire on your main phone, requiring you to put in secondary handset to get at least the basics running, it also gives you flexibility to change device whenever needed.

Meanwhile, eSIM is for easy switching. People can have multiple plans to switch between without removing the sim card, adding more data to their existing pool. For overseas, if the operator(s) support eSIM, can add that into the phone and you're good to go, that's as long as you've internet connection. If the country doesn't support eSIM, there's probably alternatives like Airalo and Ubigi that provides solutions. It's not as cheap, but it's still an option.
Oh, if eligible for M1 Corporate Individual Scheme, can always get M1 Enterprise Mobile plans. Bundled with a few GB of roaming data per month, and excess rate of $5.35/GB, good for those business people. 75 countries included isn't a small list, doubt many will go to countries that aren't in the list anyway for business and leisure. M1 supports eSIM anyway, so it's yet another profile that you can switch to if needed.
i would think otherwise, when one needs to change device for main line, just swap the SIM card to another phone and can use it straightaway, nothing difficult. physical SIM card failure rate is always zero too. people are dealing with this at all time especially for iphone that does not even come with dual sim at all previously.

esim swap device still requires reactivation. it may causes hiccup in between.
hereiam7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

i would think otherwise, when one needs to change device for main line, just swap the SIM card to another phone and can use it straightaway, nothing difficult. physical SIM card failure rate is always zero too. people are dealing with this at all time especially for iphone that does not even come with dual sim at all previously.

esim swap device still requires reactivation. it may causes hiccup in between.
What do you mean by reactivation? iMessage/Facetime activation?

Yes, as you said, change device just swap sim and go. If it's eSIM, you still have t contact carrier and request for new QR to be generated, be it via the telco app or email. Charges may apply too.

Plus, eSIM device must be compatible with the network too, so it's also another problem that users have to face. Physical SIM most phone have still, and is typically compatible as long as you buy in the country. Basically plug and play.

Last edited by lohsenglte; 01-08-2020 at 05:54 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #19

What do you mean by reactivation? iMessage/Facetime activation?

Yes, as you said, change device just swap sim and go. If it's eSIM, you still have t contact carrier and request for new QR to be generated, be it via the telco app or email. Charges may apply too.

Plus, eSIM device must be compatible with the network too, so it's also another problem that users have to face. Physical SIM most phone have still, and is typically compatible as long as you buy in the country. Basically plug and play.
reactivation = scan the OR again and add mobile plan.

you need to do it everytime u change device too. see the steps for a iPhone user to transfer esim to a new iphone. it is certainly not as straightforward as swapping a physical sim to another phone and use it straightaway, hassle free.

one can ask himself, how often u will change ur main line mobile plan? most people will likely to stick to it for years like at least two years if u have mobile contract with telco. pretty much within this two years u will never even change it to another phone. this is why esim for main line is good.

how often u will probably need to change second sim if u visit different countries within the two years? probably a few time a year?

one is one time for very long time, one is few times a year probably depending on how often u go overseas. most importantly, if u need to JB tmr for example, can u confirm that you can get hold of a esim the local telco there to use immediately? impossible. likely u cannot confirm if esim is even available there. for your info, in lion city, some telcos have esim but only for POSTPAID and not prepaid, if u are foreigner, u are unlikely to get a esim in a foreign too. i believe this should be the same for a lot of other countries.

would u rather deal with uncertainties like this or u would rather reserve ur physical sim card slot for overseas prepaid physical sim card use? the answer should be obvious.

i dun see a logic why some are saying the other ways round.

u go to all red and green telcos website, u can see many many are asking for esim, and this is for this reason. if the logic of using esim as secondary works for them, people will not even ask for it.

and yes, if u are iphone users, u need to reactivate ur facetime and imessage too, and it costs $$ to reactivate for certain telcos too. since it is main line, why one needs to go thru the hassle of this. why the prepaid sim card u get from overseas, u will never need to enable facetime or imessage for the numbers.

Last edited by hereiam7788; 01-08-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #20

A lot of my office people asking Singtel to offer eSIM is not as what you describe (maybe true in your context) but there's another aspect.

Our office are issued with iPhone with Singtel SIM. They want to avoid carry 2 phones as their personal line with either Singtel or Starhub.

To get dual SIM feature on iPhone, one has to be eSIM. So end up, a lot went to M1 after their contract end simply to get eSIM to enable dual SIM on office iphone.

XiaoFu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #21

A lot of my office people asking Singtel to offer eSIM is not as what you describe (maybe true in your context) but there's another aspect.

Our office are issued with iPhone with Singtel SIM. They want to avoid carry 2 phones as their personal line with either Singtel or Starhub.

To get dual SIM feature on iPhone, one has to be eSIM. So end up, a lot went to M1 after their contract end simply to get eSIM to enable dual SIM on office iphone.

Reason is the same what. They want to use two numbers on the same phone.

Singtel/StarHub - no choice. Office SIM. Physical SIM.

M1 - personal line, got choice, esim.

In the end all want to make use of the 1 x physical SIM card slot and esim slot on their iPhones.

same as if one has a main line (sg esim - got choice), go overseas physical Sim (no choice).

That’s why they want Singtel/StarHub to have esim.

What is the difference here?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #22

Reason is the same what. They want to use two numbers on the same phone.

Singtel/StarHub - no choice. Office SIM. Physical SIM.

M1 - personal line, got choice, esim.

In the end all want to make use of the 1 x physical SIM card slot and esim slot on their iPhones.

same as if one has a main line (sg esim - got choice), go overseas physical Sim (no choice).

That’s why they want Singtel/StarHub to have esim.

What is the difference here?
Difference is that they don't care which card should be physical or esim as long got dual SIM on iPhone.

XiaoFu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #23

Difference is that they don't care which card should be physical or esim as long got dual SIM on iPhone.

they need to care becos that is not under their control. they have nothing they can do with the singtel card becos it can never be esim. so they are forced to go for m1 on their person line which is their main line even they dun like it they also no choice. only m1 can be esim. as since company sim card is singtel, they have nothing can be done.

Last edited by hereiam7788; 01-08-2020 at 09:34 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #24

they need to care becos that is not under their control. they have nothing they can do with the singtel card becos it can never be esim. so they are forced to go for m1 on their person line which is their main line even they dun like it they also no choice. only m1 can be esim. as since company sim card is singtel, they have nothing can be done.
Now there’s another choice for eSIM : Circle.Life…
thiamhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

certainly not. i already explained the reasons why it is not above.

like i said, not all countries all telcos have esim. physical sim is a safer bet. reserve the physical sim slot to uncertainties is a better move now.
if most thinks the way u said, there will not be so many people asking for red and green telcos to offer esim already, people know what are the best options to them.
So if you are on esim Singapore... Cannot use overseas?
zuoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #26

Now there’s another choice for eSIM : Circle.Life…
it is under m1 network also that's why it has esim. even myrepublic MVNOs which is under m1 can have it soon too.

problem is more on the red and green telcos. you have no other choice than m1 network or MVNOs under m1 for esim. for example, if u dun like m1 network, u have no choice but to sign m1 or circles life plans to have esim.

what are talking about?

if u are using iPhone, u only have 1 x esim slot and 1 x physical sim slot.
if u have used esim slot for local network, then u go overseas just use physical sim card slot la like i said in my previous post .
Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

reactivation = scan the OR again and add mobile plan.

you need to do it everytime u change device too. see the steps for a iPhone user to transfer esim to a new iphone. it is certainly not as straightforward as swapping a physical sim to another phone and use it straightaway, hassle free.

one can ask himself, how often u will change ur main line mobile plan? most people will likely to stick to it for years like at least two years if u have mobile contract with telco. pretty much within this two years u will never even change it to another phone. this is why esim for main line is good.

how often u will probably need to change second sim if u visit different countries within the two years? probably a few time a year?

one is one time for very long time, one is few times a year probably depending on how often u go overseas. most importantly, if u need to JB tmr for example, can u confirm that you can get hold of a esim the local telco there to use immediately? impossible. likely u cannot confirm if esim is even available there. for your info, in lion city, some telcos have esim but only for POSTPAID and not prepaid, if u are foreigner, u are unlikely to get a esim in a foreign too. i believe this should be the same for a lot of other countries.

would u rather deal with uncertainties like this or u would rather reserve ur physical sim card slot for overseas prepaid physical sim card use? the answer should be obvious.

i dun see a logic why some are saying the other ways round.

u go to all red and green telcos website, u can see many many are asking for esim, and this is for this reason. if the logic of using esim as secondary works for them, people will not even ask for it.

and yes, if u are iphone users, u need to reactivate ur facetime and imessage too, and it costs $$ to reactivate for certain telcos too. since it is main line, why one needs to go thru the hassle of this. why the prepaid sim card u get from overseas, u will never need to enable facetime or imessage for the numbers.
Just to make sure we are on the same page:
You can store multiple eSIM profiles in the same device (depends on manufacturer, but lowest I've heard is 8 for phones at any one time, which is plenty), and switching between them do not need to rescan QR code. You only need to rescan QR code if and only if you deleted it from the device.

iMessage/Facetime activation charge happens whenever new line is introduced, be it changing between eSIM profiles, or swapping SIM cards, if you accept the registration. Both lines will have to reregister when that happens, unless you specify which line to register only when setting up a brand new SIM (eSIM profile / physical SIM).

I've M1, Circles, Ubigi and Yoodo eSIM on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and switches between some of them regularly, while having StarHub Physical SIM inside the device too, sometimes take out to put in other telco SIMs (eg TPG).

I won't say whether main line in eSIM or physical SIM format is correct or wrong choice, but my preference is for it to still be physical SIM. If the next generation (or two) iPhone do require eSIM only, network operators worldwide do need to accept on their network asap, and putting in tourist eSIM won't be as confusing as now already.
May even push those global eSIM companies (eg Airalo) out of business, as their funds ran low due to correct pandemic and basically dry as lesser people get their plans for their next trip and opt for direct contact with the local providers instead.

I don't mind the physical SIM hassle, as I can always bring an older phone as backup anyway. Yes, not everyone has the luxury to do that, but the counterargument is that since you bought an iPhone or Pixel or flagship Galaxy devices, why don't you even have any money to purchase an old ex-flagship phone? No need to be few hundred dollars, you can get something like Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7 for not that much nowadays.

Last edited by lohsenglte; 02-08-2020 at 07:34 AM..
Old 02-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #28
Supremacy Member

eSIM doesn't mean you cannot do most things the physical SIM can't do.
I've M1 and CL eSIM and both can roam overseas, as long as you're on supported plan and enabled roaming beforehand.
Global eSIM operators (eg Ubigi) issue you eSIM profile that can logon the networks that they had roaming agreements on, as long as your plan allow.

While eSIM is roaming, your physical SIM can too. It's the exact same thing. Only thing different is that eSIM profile is limited to your current device only; once you change handset, you either had to get an eSIM compatible device and contact your carrier to reissue you a new QR code (modes of communication depends on your carrier), or if your new device must use physical SIM, you have to request for physical SIM replacement (which some operators may not have the capability and you're forced to give up on the line and/or number and port out).
Old 02-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #29

Just to make sure we are on the same page:
You can store multiple eSIM profiles in the same device (depends on manufacturer, but lowest I've heard is 8 for phones at any one time, which is plenty), and switching between them do not need to rescan QR code. You only need to rescan QR code if and only if you deleted it from the device.

iMessage/Facetime activation charge happens whenever new line is introduced, be it changing between eSIM profiles, or swapping SIM cards, if you accept the registration. Both lines will have to reregister when that happens, unless you specify which line to register only when setting up a brand new SIM (eSIM profile / physical SIM).

I've M1, Circles, Ubigi and Yoodo eSIM on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and switches between some of them regularly, while having StarHub Physical SIM inside the device too, sometimes take out to put in other telco SIMs (eg TPG).

I won't say whether main line in eSIM or physical SIM format is correct or wrong choice, but my preference is for it to still be physical SIM. If the next generation (or two) iPhone do require eSIM only, network operators worldwide do need to accept on their network asap, and putting in tourist eSIM won't be as confusing as now already.
May even push those global eSIM companies (eg Airalo) out of business, as their funds ran low due to correct pandemic and basically dry as lesser people get their plans for their next trip and opt for direct contact with the local providers instead.

I don't mind the physical SIM hassle, as I can always bring an older phone as backup anyway. Yes, not everyone has the luxury to do that, but the counterargument is that since you bought an iPhone or Pixel or flagship Galaxy devices, why don't you even have any money to purchase an old ex-flagship phone? No need to be few hundred dollars, you can get something like Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7 for not that much nowadays.
Yup, iPhone can store multple esims but can only use one at a time.

Yes, imessage need to reactivate when switching numbers no matter esims or physical sims.

the key reason why people are asking for esim on their main line such as Singtel/Starhub is to fully utilise the dual SIM feature of their iphone for convenience by carrying one handset. No matter u are in local/overseas, this make a big deal.

In local, one needs not bring two iPhones with him whenever he goes which he can have both personal/company lines active on his one single iPhone. Best part he can make full use of the data plan/talktime/sms available from both lines anytime to compliment the usage between the lines.

In overseas, one can do the same thing by buying a local physical sim there and again carry one iPhone only. Like i said, many foreign telcos do not even have esim yet, even they have, often they do not offer esim for prepaid plans.

i think what you mentioned about the backup phone such as affordability etc. is totally not related. As before apple add in dual sim to iPhone, people are already using two iphones for two different numbers like what i did now too.

what matter is the convenience of holding one iPhone afterall. it is a big deal to a lot of people.

and why esim needed to be on the main line, i had emphasised a lot in the earlier posts. i can tell u there are a lot of people are buying china/hong kong selling iPhones purposely because they want the two physical sims iPhones due to this reason too.

Apple make the exceptions for china market for such unique version of iPhones because of the market size and the resistance of esims there. u go china ur dual sim bought in lion city will be useless if u are on singtel/starhub becos you cannot afford to reserve the physical slot for the local sim card there.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #30
Supremacy Member

Yup, iPhone can store multple esims but can only use one at a time.

Yes, imessage need to reactivate when switching numbers no matter esims or physical sims.

the key reason why people are asking for esim on their main line such as Singtel/Starhub is to fully utilise the dual SIM feature of their iphone for convenience by carrying one handset. No matter u are in local/overseas, this make a big deal.

In local, one needs not bring two iPhones with him whenever he goes which he can have both personal/company lines active on his one single iPhone. Best part he can make full use of the data plan/talktime/sms available from both lines anytime to compliment the usage between the lines.

In overseas, one can do the same thing by buying a local physical sim there and again carry one iPhone only. Like i said, many foreign telcos do not even have esim yet, even they have, often they do not offer esim for prepaid plans.

i think what you mentioned about the backup phone such as affordability etc. is totally not related. As before apple add in dual sim to iPhone, people are already using two iphones for two different numbers like what i did now too.

what matter is the convenience of holding one iPhone afterall. it is a big deal to a lot of people.

and why esim needed to be on the main line, i had emphasised a lot in the earlier posts. i can tell u there are a lot of people are buying china/hong kong selling iPhones purposely because they want the two physical sims iPhones due to this reason too.

Apple make the exceptions for china market for such unique version of iPhones because of the market size and the resistance of esims there. u go china ur dual sim bought in lion city will be useless if u are on singtel/starhub becos you cannot afford to reserve the physical slot for the local sim card there.
Ya like I said, it depends on the user tbh and their use. No fixed answer to this, but yes, eSIM adoption is slow here and therefore our options is very limited.

That's what we all want, change.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.