esim discussion

who using esim?
大蛇丸 Orochimaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

who using esim?
Me........
thiamhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #3

Wonder what's holding back the rest of telco of supporting eSIM? Cost of setting up, fear of losing customers?

For those on 2 years contract, I guess the fear should be minimal.

For those non contract SIM only plan, easy to lose also means easy to get as well.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
XiaoFu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #4

Wonder what's holding back the rest of telco of supporting eSIM? Cost of setting up, fear of losing customers?

For those on 2 years contract, I guess the fear should be minimal.

For those non contract SIM only plan, easy to lose also means easy to get as well.

they dun want you to sign up a main line on a minimum plan with them on esim, then at the same time you can sign up a secondary cheap data plan to be used on a physical sim like TPG $10 50GB plan.

like that you will be add on the extra data such as data X 2, data X 3 etc....
hereiam7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #5

they dun want you to sign up a main line on a minimum plan with them on esim, then at the same time you can sign up a secondary cheap data plan to be used on a physical sim like TPG $10 50GB plan.

This also means they pay more for the phone due to the cheapest plan.

Old 24-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #6

esim good meh? Feel very inflexible. Change phone still need to contact telco to transfer. Still got service charge to swap right?
weisern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

esim good meh? Feel very inflexible. Change phone still need to contact telco to transfer. Still got service charge to swap right?
Service charge depends on Telco. If non-M1 operators have eSIM, that cost will probably be reduced or eliminated outright. It's just a QR code sent via email, no reason for it to be chargeable tbh.
lohsenglte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Honestly, it's probably more like main line in physical SIM, while secondary lines on eSIM.

Each phone can store multiple eSIM profiles which can be swapped on the fly, don't need to fumble with ejecting and potentially lose that nanoSIM...
lohsenglte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #9

eSIM is the only way for some phone models to have dual SIM. iPhone and Google pixel phone come to mind.

In future, if more models embark on this, then eSIM will be an important consideration for future subscribers.

And for overseas data card, able to buy online and inadvance without queue, eSIM will be very handy.

Old 25-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #10

Think Singtel will come out eSIM very soon for iphone 12 as they have a new eSIM with China telco
007Mi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #11

Think Singtel will come out eSIM very soon for iphone 12 as they have a new eSIM with China telco
eSIM may launch with the Note20 series.
galaxyuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #12

Thought is limited to enterprise plans only....

SibehHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #13

Honestly, it's probably more like main line in physical SIM, while secondary lines on eSIM.

Each phone can store multiple eSIM profiles which can be swapped on the fly, don't need to fumble with ejecting and potentially lose that nanoSIM...
It is probably for future while every telcos in every countries have all these implemented. eSIM enabled devices is available since Apple Watch is firstly launched and since iPhone Xs. Again being an 'advance' country, not even the biggest two telcos have offered the eSIM yet. Same like since long people have been complaining no 5G on iPhone yet but even until now there is not even an 5G plan in lion city yet. Hardware is ready long ago but telcos are not even ready.

This is for many years to go at least. ESIM should still be best reserved for main line which you have control while physical sim is a wildcard that can fit anything. You have no control how soon the countries you are visiting will have eSIM ready.

and i dun think switching eSIM profiles will be totally free across telcos. i know there are charges involved to reactivate your eSIM profile. it is not as easy as "on the fly" until the charges are waived permanently by all telcos even it can be done in lion city but no one can guarantee all countries telcos will do the same too.

so for many many many years to come.
below scenario will then be flexible for anyone. below scenario has minimum physical card ejection needed too.

1) main line - eSIM (one no need to switch whatever profiles anytime until u change telco. same like u dun eject the physical sim out of ur main line unless u change telco or change phone too)
2) secondary line - physical SIM (no matter which country which telco the SIM is, it can work certainly and you only eject the physical card to swap when you visiting different countries)

Last edited by hereiam7788; 01-08-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #14

It is probably for future while every telcos in every countries have all these implemented. eSIM enabled devices is available since Apple Watch is firstly launched and since iPhone Xs. Again being an 'advance' country, not even the biggest two telcos have offered the eSIM yet. Same like since long people have been complaining no 5G on iPhone yet but even until now there is not even an 5G plan in lion city yet. Hardware is ready long ago but telcos are not even ready.

This is for many years to go at least. ESIM should still be best reserved for main line which you have control while physical sim is a wildcard that can fit anything. You have no control how soon the countries you are visiting will have eSIM ready.

and i dun think switching eSIM profiles will be totally free across telcos. i know there are charges involved to reactivate your eSIM profile. it is not as easy as "on the fly" until the charges are waived permanently by all telcos even it can be done in lion city but no one can guarantee all countries telcos will do the same too.

so for many many many years to come.
below scenario will then be flexible for anyone. below scenario has minimum physical card ejection needed too.

1) main line - eSIM (one no need to switch whatever profiles anytime until u change telco. same like u dun eject the physical sim out of ur main line unless u change telco or change phone too)
2) secondary line - physical SIM (no matter which country which telco the SIM is, it can work certainly and you only eject the physical card to swap when you visiting different countries)
I will thought it's the opposite. For biz traveller profile, office SIM card as you will unlikely to change since it's office line.

ESIM for travelling purpose. I can buy before my trip and no need to queue to scan passport and make payment.

I think there's a few eSIM vendor that offer data roaming to most countries.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #15

I will thought it's the opposite. For biz traveller profile, office SIM card as you will unlikely to change since it's office line.

ESIM for travelling purpose. I can buy before my trip and no need to queue to scan passport and make payment.

I think there's a few eSIM vendor that offer data roaming to most countries.

certainly not. i already explained the reasons why it is not above.

like i said, not all countries all telcos have esim. physical sim is a safer bet. reserve the physical sim slot to uncertainties is a better move now.
if most thinks the way u said, there will not be so many people asking for red and green telcos to offer esim already, people know what are the best options to them.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.