HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

M1 Data Passport problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #61
Supremacy Member

Insert SIM / Restart handset may trigger the iMessage activation. I faced that a lot of times on StarHub Mobile and had to call in to waive off.

M1 automatically waive the charge for Postpaid Mobile customers when they're logged onto M1 network (locally). Roaming network will charge M1, which in turn will charge you.
Thank you for the clarification. I'll observe it again the next time I use data passport again.

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT
Eviltrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #62
Master Member

Anyone tired data passport before in China? I'm heading to China for a week, not sure if getting data passport will be worth.

Heard that m1 data passport will have VPN feature embedded which allows one to access google whatsapp and facebook
Jurong640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #63
Supremacy Member

Anyone tired data passport before in China? I'm heading to China for a week, not sure if getting data passport will be worth.

Heard that m1 data passport will have VPN feature embedded which allows one to access google whatsapp and facebook
There's no VPN, it's APN.

My friend used before Data Passport in China, get speeds over 20Mbps.
lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #64
Master Member

There's no VPN, it's APN.

My friend used before Data Passport in China, get speeds over 20Mbps.
But with m1 apn. Means I can access Face book google and whatsapp over there?
Old 16-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #65

I used M1 data passport in China. But I incurred global sms and roaming sms charges when I check my bill.

If someone sends you sms from Singapore, is it considered roaming or global sms? Can deactivate the sms while I am overseas?
jywy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #66
Supremacy Member

But with m1 apn. Means I can access Face book google and whatsapp over there?
Yes. 10char
Old 16-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #67
Supremacy Member

I used M1 data passport in China. But I incurred global sms and roaming sms charges when I check my bill.

If someone sends you sms from Singapore, is it considered roaming or global sms? Can deactivate the sms while I am overseas?
iPhone?

Afaik, incoming SMS should be free. It's only when you send then is charged as roaming SMS, regardless if it's to Singapore or overseas number.

If someone were to send you SMS through Singapore number, they'll be charged as normal local SMS (deductible through their bundle if applicable).

I don't think Pay-Per-Use Roaming / Roaming Subscription can disable voice/text portion though. It's also required before you can activate Data Roaming, default PPUR will be activated if you active Data Roaming service.
Old 16-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #68
Master Member

Yes. 10char
Thanks. Do you know about Starhub prepaid too? There china package also can use Google and Facebook? Same Starhub apn?
Old 16-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #69
Supremacy Member

I tried in Shanghai once. Can surf FB and Google.

But if I remember correctly, need to pay 25 bucks plus 2 bucks activation.

Old 16-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #70
Master Member

Thanks. Do you know about Starhub prepaid too? There china package also can use Google and Facebook? Same Starhub apn?
Not the same APN due to certain coding involved.

APN is unique to the Telco SIM card, meaning each Telco has its own gateway.

Take it as APN as gateway to internet access.

Google and Facebook, etc; will depend on the Telco SIM card APN to access to internet.
China package that sell these may depend on which SIM card they use.
Alternately they may use route via VPN network.

That is why Starhub & S'pore Telco are able to access Google, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc; without interference from China control.
Unless the blockade is due to its country security reason, which may apply to all foreign network.

Do understand more about APN..
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #71
Supremacy Member

I had this problem when I first used in Shanghai, and then Malaysia.

Still dunno the exact cause of the sms charges. I don't send any out, but received quite a few. Mostly telco ones. But the sms received didn't match the number of sms charged.

Old 16-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #72
Master Member

Not the same APN due to certain coding involved.

APN is unique to the Telco SIM card, meaning each Telco has its own gateway.

Take it as APN as gateway to internet access.

Google and Facebook, etc; will depend on the Telco SIM card APN to access to internet.
China package that sell these may depend on which SIM card they use.
Alternately they may use route via VPN network.

That is why Starhub & S'pore Telco are able to access Google, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc; without interference from China control.
Unless the blockade is due to its country security reason, which may apply to all foreign network.

Do understand more about APN..
Thank you.
Old 16-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #73
Master Member

I had this problem when I first used in Shanghai, and then Malaysia.

Still dunno the exact cause of the sms charges. I don't send any out, but received quite a few. Mostly telco ones. But the sms received didn't match the number of sms charged.

Sometimes certain items may not be indicated properly in the billing.
Usually for calls would be indicated in each of the line item but sms may not be as lump sum or selective items.

Well you can asked for the details on, such as for all sms incoming & outgoing and the charges related to.
In this way you can find out the other party of the sms sent or received.
This is by request if you do find the charges in the bill which are not completed.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 03:22 AM   #74
Supremacy Member

M1 Postpaid Mobile: sunsurf
StarHub Prepaid Mobile: shppd

APN is unique to the telco and the type of customer they're serving.

It's used to route all the traffic to their servers, no matter where you're (locally or roaming). Therefore, data will always appear as you're on the origin network even if you're overseas using data roaming.

So yes, since StarHub IP addresses doesn't block FB/Google/WA, can do so too.
Old 24-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #75
Master Member

M1 Postpaid Mobile: sunsurf
StarHub Prepaid Mobile: shppd

APN is unique to the telco and the type of customer they're serving.

It's used to route all the traffic to their servers, no matter where you're (locally or roaming). Therefore, data will always appear as you're on the origin network even if you're overseas using data roaming.

So yes, since StarHub IP addresses doesn't block FB/Google/WA, can do so too.
Thanks. Guess I'll be getting m1 data passport instead. Don't want mafan get another Sim card and remove my m1 SIM. Although more expensive abit, at least I can fully utilise my 7GB data. Sh prepaid is 1 to 2GB
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.