HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is MediaTek SoC phones usable?

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #31

I don't see the issue with phones using Mediatek SoCs.

Performance is good and the hardware is dirt cheap. Having a shitty camera is actually a plus for someone like me who hates cameras on phones. And I don't care for custom OS images since I only use my phone for Whatsapp, emails, videos and the occasional game. Besides, big-name OEMs also never ship major OS updates to phones with Snapdragon or Exynos SoCs, so the whole point is moot.

And speaking of cheap, there's no way any top-tier maker will sell consumers a $350 phone with 6GB memory, 64GB eMMC and 8 processor cores; they will charge at least twice for that luxury.

Lastly, virtually all of the rugged / armored phones (which happen to be the only phones I use due to me abusing them regularly) are using MediaTek. So there.
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

mediatek chips are considered the lower end as compared to qualcomm, and ive read that they prevent rooting of phone in the past? Not so sure about now.

I don't see the issue with phones using Mediatek SoCs.

Performance is good and the hardware is dirt cheap. Having a shitty camera is actually a plus for someone like me who hates cameras on phones. And I don't care for custom OS images since I only use my phone for Whatsapp, emails, videos and the occasional game. Besides, big-name OEMs also never ship major OS updates to phones with Snapdragon or Exynos SoCs, so the whole point is moot.

And speaking of cheap, there's no way any top-tier maker will sell consumers a $350 phone with 6GB memory, 64GB eMMC and 8 processor cores; they will charge at least twice for that luxury.

Lastly, virtually all of the rugged / armored phones (which happen to be the only phones I use due to me abusing them regularly) are using MediaTek. So there.
Old 16-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

mediatek chips are considered the lower end as compared to qualcomm, and ive read that they prevent rooting of phone in the past? Not so sure about now.
Yes, this is just like Intel vs AMD in PC area. AMD/MTK always win by benchmark but actual use is slower and problem in software compatibility. Higher power comsumption too.

Only thing worth to mention is it is cheaper.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #34

Yes, this is just like Intel vs AMD in PC area. AMD/MTK always win by benchmark but actual use is slower and problem in software compatibility. Higher power comsumption too.

Only thing worth to mention is it is cheaper.
In a blind test on the things that matter most (audio and video playback, emails, Whatsapp and light gaming), I dare to bet nobody can discern any performance gaps between a MediaTek, Exynos or Snapdragon SoC.

i owned a few mediatek. some cpus offer better value in terms of performance and price. the problem for mediatek is that their drivers are not open source. so it is difficult to upgrade software to latest android.
Having open drivers do not mean a thing if they are of **** quality (newsflash: nothing of what really matters in ARM land is open source; that includes drivers. Hackers simply use a shim layer to allow the older binary-only drivers to somewhat function on a newer kernel.) The fact that all modern ARM SoCs do not work on ReplicantOS (which is an extremely strict, open-source version of Android with all the proprietary drivers stripped out) is proof of that.

In fact, if you take a good long look at the kernel for the stock obsolete Android that was shipped with a certain device, and the kernel on Lineage 14 or 15 for that device, you may notice that certain builds of Lineage actually use the same obsolete kernel that shipped with the stock Android image . All because of proprietary drivers. And FYI, Linus Torvalds releases a new kernel every two months. Yes, all those new custom ROMs you see out there are just old kernels with new application layers thrown over them.

TLDR: There is no such thing as open-source drivers for today's SoCs in Android.

Also, the Galaxy Mega that I inherited from my relatives had a Snapdragon 400 SoC; flashed it with Cyanogenmod 13 and WiFi became completely unusable. So much for custom firmware extending the life of hardware.

Last edited by Rock-kun; 16-04-2018 at 10:51 PM..
Old 16-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

I feel not many people will look to root their phones even if this is true. Lower end it is but a perception. Between the Helios X20 and SD 625 which cost around the same, performance is clearly better on the X20. Some says Helios consume more power, but Helios X20 is manufactured on 20nm while SD 625 is on 14nm with 8 slow cores. Only recently did Qualcomm decide to up their game in the mid/ low end market.
watzup_ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #36

I feel not many people will look to root their phones even if this is true. Lower end it is but a perception. Between the Helios X20 and SD 625 which cost around the same, performance is clearly better on the X20. Some says Helios consume more power, but Helios X20 is manufactured on 20nm while SD 625 is on 14nm with 8 slow cores. Only recently did Qualcomm decide to up their game in the mid/ low end market.
I really don't mind MediaTek dominating the low and mid end market. They made it possible for large numbers of Chinese mobile OEMs to enter the market with highly-specced phones for outrageously low prices.

If not for them, we would be paying Samsung and Qualcomm top dollar for the luxury of a handset with four decent processor cores.

And as i have previously mentioned, only China OEMs (especially Ulefone, DooGee and Blackview) have affordable rugged + armored phones in their product lineup. And all use MediaTek SoCs. There's no way i'm going to pay $1000 for a Ruggear armoured phone when an Ulefone, DooGee or BlackView can deliver the goods for less than $370.
Old 17-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #37

mediatek p60 is hopefully going to be a real competitor to the sd 660.
Still waiting for full battery reviews on the oppo f7

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
Hailgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #38
Supremacy Member

guess people root their phone to make it less laggy?
Old 17-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

mediatek SoC okay to use but root phone nowadays will cause some app wont work on root phone
xiaowhois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #40
Supremacy Member

not phone, but a very old tablet using MT chip. After knowing the limitation, unable to install some apps, I siam far far away now.
jtec14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #41
Arch-Supremacy Member

guess people root their phone to make it less laggy?
There are pros and cons to rooting. However, it is not a simple task that most will undertake. Plus, you don't know what will break with a rooted device.

Personally, I won't go through the trouble. The more hardcore users will do it I suppose.
Old 17-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

mediatek p60 is hopefully going to be a real competitor to the sd 660.
Still waiting for full battery reviews on the oppo f7

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
I believe if MT can shrink their X2x series to 14nm, they can be a formidable SOC in the mid range which is currently dominated by slow 8 cores with slow graphics.
Old 17-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #43
Supremacy Member

There are pros and cons to rooting. However, it is not a simple task that most will undertake. Plus, you don't know what will break with a rooted device.

Personally, I won't go through the trouble. The more hardcore users will do it I suppose.
my experience with android phone is that they tend to bootloop after one year
Old 18-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #44
Supremacy Member

my experience with android phone is that they tend to bootloop after one year
So far i heard mainly life good phones?
jtec14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #45
Supremacy Member

So far i heard mainly life good phones?
uncle sam also failed on me before, had to replace the entire mobo.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.