Mobile plan for old folks?

sesame246

Reaction score
my parents only make calls and read SMS. and they want caller ID.

we are with singtel now, The cheapest singtel plan is $20 with no caller ID.

any recommendation? I thought prepaid SIM works best but they want to retain their numbers.

squarepipe

Reaction score
You missed the circles Life $0 plan. Now cheapest post postpaid plan is $5 from circles Life and vivobee.

sesame246

Reaction score
i had nightmare previously transferring/porting number from M1 to singtel.

has this improved ?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i had nightmare previously transferring/porting number from M1 to singtel.

has this improved ?

Why so bad for you ?

I port from singtel to circles to giga, never more than 1-2 days

sesame246

Reaction score
somehow the scheduled port over (from M1 to singtel) did not happen as planned due to some complications. My dad doesnt stay with us and we cant contact each other cos his line is down... It took a few days to rectify.

However for my own line, happened earlier, it was smooth. So it depends on luck.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
You missed the circles Life $0 plan. Now cheapest post postpaid plan is $5 from circles Life and vivobee.

Sad that vivobee is only available for foreigners working in singapore (Work permit, EP and SP holders). They don't accept local subscribers.

A pity since they have pretty attractive offers for low usage users.

Surprised that circles.life removed the $0 plan. I thought they said its not a 'trial' and its here to stay.
Though the $50 registration fee turned some people off. (Most expensive registration fee)

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sad that vivobee is only available for foreigners working in singapore (Work permit, EP and SP holders). They don't accept local subscribers.

Surprised that circles.life removed the $0 plan. I thought they said its not a 'trial' and its here to stay.
Though the $50 registration fee turned some people off. (Most expensive registration fee)

It's not a trial but all telco plan are always subject to change. That's why I always prefer go no-contract, can switch out anytime.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
It's not a trial but all telco plan are always subject to change. That's why I always prefer go no-contract, can switch out anytime.

Yeah.

Anyway, the new $5 plan is a better value and I think no one will miss the $0 plan. Just treat as paying $5 for caller id (already worth it since most telcos charge $5 for caller id), more talktime, more data etc. It also has a lower registration fee of $18.

When my folk's prepaid card balance are used up, I'll also encourage them to switch to this, though they might not be willing to change number and prepaid numbers cannot be ported over.

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah.

Anyway, the new $5 plan is a better value and I think no one will miss the $0 plan. Just treat as paying $5 for caller id (already worth it since most telcos charge $5 for caller id), more talktime, more data etc. It also has a lower registration fee of $18.

When my folk's prepaid card balance are used up, I'll also encourage them to switch to this, though they might not be willing to change number and prepaid numbers cannot be ported over.

Me too. I just applied this to replace my parent's pre-paid cards.

squarepipe

Reaction score
Yeah.

You have to port over to the same Telco postpaid first before porting to mvno.

Else u just buy a new number and have it work as data SIM on 2nd SIM card slot.

With apps like WhatsApp that does calls and msg. The prepaid value can last very long

squarepipe

Reaction score
what abt TGP? https://www.tpgmobile.sg/ too good to be true right?

I used tpg since January. Literally unlimited data for free. Only underground MRT no signal. Also unlimited roaming in Malaysia & Indonesia. My mom literally use her tpg as data sim in Indonesia for 2 months already. To use voice calls phone need support tpg volte standard.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
what abt TGP? https://www.tpgmobile.sg/ too good to be true right?

Seems too good to be true, but its true. :D

Some caveats:
1) Has to use a supported mobile phone, else no voice calls. Only sms and data.
2) Its a trial that can be recalled anytime at the discretion of the company. But looking at the situation now, it seems that they are not ready at all for official launch and the trial may continue.
3) There are problems calling from mobile to landlines. My TPG sim cannot even call my home number now.

Its best to use TPG as a secondary sim, not a primary line.

Shadowz1984

Reaction score

The new $5 Vivobee plan is for locals.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
The new $5 Vivobee plan is for locals.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

Is it? They allow locals to sign up with them?

Then Vivobee is better than circles.life cos' they have unlimited incoming calls for $5 a mth. I should get that for my folks. My parents don't really care about data other than occasionally check 4D/Toto.

squarepipe

Reaction score
vivobee-bee-lite-5-dollar-plan-1-GB-data-50-min-local-calls-50-local-sms-free-caller-id-free-incoming-call-1.jpg

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I know the plan details but there is nothing said about the plan is available to locals (locals as in Singapore Citizens or PR).

'VivoBee is a one-stop Mobile Services for migrant workers in Singapore & Malaysia. VivoBee 4G SIM card Mobile Membership Plans provides monthly Free Local Data & IDD Calls for 12 months. Don't forget to check out our budget App IDD Call & Packages, Overseas Mobile & Data Top Up services in VivoBee Mobile App now.'

My question is have they changed their policy and now accept the general local population to sign up with them now?

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
You have to port over to the same Telco postpaid first before porting to mvno.

Else u just buy a new number and have it work as data SIM on 2nd SIM card slot.

With apps like WhatsApp that does calls and msg. The prepaid value can last very long

Issues will be:
1) How long must I stay as a postpaid customer with the provider, eg. M1, before I can port to another MVNO?
2) Any termination charges?

If there are, I rather they stay as prepaid customer if they want to retain the number. They already has TPG sim as 2nd sim for free and occasional data.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Issues will be:
1) How long must I stay as a postpaid customer with the provider, eg. M1, before I can port to another MVNO?
2) Any termination charges?

If there are, I rather they stay as prepaid customer if they want to retain the number. They already has TPG sim as 2nd sim for free and occasional data.

Read under "general" section, New Line Sign-ups

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Read under "general" section, New Line Sign-ups

That's why...

Until a time when MVNO can directly port prepaid numbers without having them converted to postpaid first like the 3 big telcos, its less of a hassle (and cost) just to get a new number.

If they want to retain the number, then just have to stay as prepaid.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.