Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By myjunkid11
  • 1 Post By poland_ball
  • 1 Post By cruizer_ph

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Qn on Dual Sim on current phones

Hi all,

The last time I encountered Dual Sim was when you had to use this attachment to put 2 sim cards in & then hook it up to the sim card port of phone. My current phone is single SIM still.

Can I check if my understanding of current Dual Sim phones are correct and if these features are consistent across most major models of phone brands?

1) Both Sim Cards are active all the time and I can receive calls/msgs on both lines simultaneously.

2) When it comes to whatsapp etc, Dual Sim phones have clone apps so that each line has its own whatsapp?

3) I can customise the usage as in I can set which Sim to prioritise for Data, which Sim to prioritise for calls.

If i travel up to malaysia often, can I auto set which Sim to use in each country?
minuteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #2

Hi all,

The last time I encountered Dual Sim was when you had to use this attachment to put 2 sim cards in & then hook it up to the sim card port of phone. My current phone is single SIM still.

Can I check if my understanding of current Dual Sim phones are correct and if these features are consistent across most major models of phone brands?

1) Both Sim Cards are active all the time and I can receive calls/msgs on both lines simultaneously.

2) When it comes to whatsapp etc, Dual Sim phones have clone apps so that each line has its own whatsapp?

3) I can customise the usage as in I can set which Sim to prioritise for Data, which Sim to prioritise for calls.

If i travel up to malaysia often, can I auto set which Sim to use in each country?
1. Yes.

2. Never tried. Someone else may answer.

3. Yes.

I am not how all the brands have changed. But over the last few years, the settings for each sim separately has improved. This is based on my experience using Samsung phones.
minuteez likes this.
myjunkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

1: yes but of course you can only talk on one call at a time.
2: depends on the phone. Samsung has dual messenger while xiaomi has clone apps if I'm not wrong.
3: yes
minuteez likes this.
poland_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #4

Hi all,

Yes. Modern dual sim phones can do this.

Depends on the phone manufacturer. For Huawei (since I've used it myself), yes.

Yes. At least for the Huawei phone I tried. I can separately set which sim card to activate 4G for (can have both), and which one is the default for cellular data. This is very nice to have when abroad, because I can simply pop in a local SIM in the 2nd slot and have all data go through that 2nd SIM, while still being able to access my apps including whatsapp and viber registered with the number in my 1st SIM.

Not sure if you can do this with other phone brands. But not with Huawei. Anyway whenever I travel to Malaysia I just switch over the default data SIM setting to my Malaysia SIM, very simple procedure.
minuteez likes this.
cruizer_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:50 PM   #5

Thank you all.

Guess I no need worry so much since most of the basic functions exists across the board. Just need to take note of the differences in implementation.
minuteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.