Recommend Dual Sim With Both 4G Support

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's a misunderstanding about shutting down the 2g network. In the case of dual sim phone, the phone part will work no matter whether there's any data network which means you can see the signal but there's no data attached.

This is essentially why dual sim phones came out in the first place. They want one sim card for calls and one sim card for data. There's no reason why you need to have 2 Internet connections on the phone at the same time, it just makes no sense and just wasting battery.

Sent from HUAWEI P8max using GAGT
To clear your misconception on the shutting down of the 2G network, take an example of your P8 Max by Huawei.
Your P8 Max is a dual SIM phone and yes it's marketed as 'Dual 4G SIM'. The thing is however, when there's two SIMs in your P8 Max, only one will be on 4G/3G, while another will be strictly 2G.

Once the 2G network shuts in April 2017, which is less than 2 years, it means voice+SMS+data service under the 2G network will be terminated and no more 2G network will be in service. That means one of your SIM slots in your P8 Max will be deem 'useless' as only one SIM will be active and the dual SIM feature is literally abandoned.

Sent from my Rice phone using GAGT

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think u are the one having the misunderstanding. :s22:

The issue with most current dual sim phones where one can only have 4G/3G support on one sim slot and only 2G on the other sim slot is still there. So when 2G is turned off, essentially that means one can only have one sim card activated at any one time. This surely isn't what one wants a dual sim phone for. That phone will essentially become just a normal single sim phone.

So now what we should be looking in newer dual sim phones, are support for 4G/3G on both sim slots at the same time.

Thats right. Even voice call will not work. One of the place I can confirm this us Parkway shopping center at basement. My setup is 1 sim is data plan only and the other slot on Singtel hi card. The hi card support 3G. However, at my first slot is on 4G data plan. The second sim simply show no signal.

So I am out of luck for voice call.

wildfaye29

Reaction score
exactly the reason why we need a 3G + 4G slot to future proof from Apr 2017 onwards because current dual sim phones will be useless as 2G is gone forever.

revogsx

Reaction score
which phone have these minimum ?

Sim1: 4G (voice/sms/data)
Sim2: 3G (voice/sms)

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share what I notice on the R7S setting in the Preferred Network type as follow : -

There are 4 setting to choose : -

(1) 4G/3G/2G (Auto)
(2) 3G/2G (Auto)
(3) 3G only
(4) 2G only

Once you select (1) in either Sim1 or Sim2 , the other Sim will force to auto select (4).

Once you select (2) in either Sim1 or Sim2 , the other Sim will force to auto select (4).

Once you select (3) in either Sim1 or Sim2 , the other Sim will force to auto select (4).

So this is bad news...for 2017 when 2G is shut down completely...

limpingsim98

Reaction score
Just to share what I notice on the R7S setting in the Preferred Network type as follow : -

There are 4 setting to choose : -

(1) 4G/3G/2G (Auto)
(2) 3G/2G (Auto)
(3) 3G only
(4) 2G only

Once you select (1) in either Sim1 or Sim2 , the other Sim will force to auto select (4).

Once you select (2) in either Sim1 or Sim2 , the other Sim will force to auto select (4).

Once you select (3) in either Sim1 or Sim2 , the other Sim will force to auto select (4).

So this is bad news...for 2017 when 2G is shut down completely...

That's right. Also, is better to pick a phone with 900Mhz band with 4G for better coverage now a day.

JetStorm

Reaction score
Both 4G slot right? but when 1 sim running LTE one more will be 3g/4g/2g?

Ok my bad. Just did a test. 1 SIM LTE, the other is 2G. Search for networks on the second sim only shows 2G networks to choose from.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any other feedback on any brand and model that can do 4g (with data switch-on) and 3g (with data switch-off) the same time ?

Elnin0

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought my M5 dual is for the purpose of going in JB or other country.
In Malaysia, they will have 2G still. So S'pore sim card will be switched to 2G... or use one at a time. ;)

simplytimo

Reaction score
I bought my M5 dual is for the purpose of going in JB or other country.
In Malaysia, they will have 2G still. So S'pore sim card will be switched to 2G... or use one at a time. ;)

I used to use zenfone (not zenfone 2).

I put on SG SIM in one slot and a HK SIM in another slot. Disable data roam for both.

My whatsapp was based on SG SIM.

When in HK can use WhatsApp as usual.

Call received mobile calls on both SIM in either country. But they are on 3G.

So its really seamless. No need to switch here and there.

What are the phones that can do the same for 4G band?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.