telco talktime only plans for old people?

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score
been trying to find alternative talk time only plans for grandmother who doesnt need data and sms at all. but seems like all telcos dont offer such plan or display it.

just doesnt feel right to be paying $35 a month for only 100mins of outgoing. i get that incoming calls are free but there are times where she makes calls out to her friend and when they finish talking neither of them press the hang up call button which leaves the call ongoing for hours even. dont ask me how thats even possible just old people and old people stuff.

but it did happen a few times already and the bill just shoots up. even after constantly always reminding her to always press the hang up call button after every call. so now trying to find a plan with more talktime only and is cheaper without data or sms. any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
been trying to find alternative talk time only plans for grandmother who doesnt need data and sms at all. but seems like all telcos dont offer such plan or display it.

just doesnt feel right to be paying $35 a month for only 100mins of outgoing. i get that incoming calls are free but there are times where she makes calls out to her friend and when they finish talking neither of them press the hang up call button which leaves the call ongoing for hours even. dont ask me how thats even possible just old people and old people stuff.

but it did happen a few times already and the bill just shoots up. even after constantly always reminding her to always press the hang up call button after every call. so now trying to find a plan with more talktime only and is cheaper without data or sms. any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Is your grandma at home most of the time? If so, might be better for her to use landline since the rate is much cheaper than mobile

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
Prepaid card is one solution.

Try to search for M1 DIY Plan. Not sure if it's still available, they don't advertise it but you can call and ask.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Not sure which Telco and plans are you using for there may need to take or port to better plans.

May consider taking those on plans with "Unlimited Talk time" such as this > Starhub VAS - Add more Talktime for $18 /month.

THEMIKOS

Reaction score
Under singtel, majority of the plans are free outgoing. U could port over to Singtel and get a mulitshare card for her where she tags to ur plan. So whatever she uses wont affect u because outgoing/incoming are both free. U just pay $10.70 for her every month.

Thanks

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score
Is your grandma at home most of the time? If so, might be better for her to use landline since the rate is much cheaper than mobile

usually half the day she is out

Prepaid card is one solution.

Try to search for M1 DIY Plan. Not sure if it's still available, they don't advertise it but you can call and ask.

i went down to M1 to check unfortunately they dont have the DIY plan anymore only left all their standard plans

Not sure which Telco and plans are you using for there may need to take or port to better plans.

May consider taking those on plans with "Unlimited Talk time" such as this > Starhub VAS - Add more Talktime for $18 /month.

Under singtel, majority of the plans are free outgoing. U could port over to Singtel and get a mulitshare card for her where she tags to ur plan. So whatever she uses wont affect u because outgoing/incoming are both free. U just pay $10.70 for her every month.

we are currently both on starhub. singtel customisable plan sucks.

seems like supplementary line could be the way to go. singtel supplementary line $10.70/mth , m1 supplementary $12/mth starhub no idea where it is. actually all their website sucks. then add on unlimited talk time about $15-$16. add on a caller id about $5. ah actually calculate also comes up to about $30 meh almost about the same :s22:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i went down to M1 to check unfortunately they dont have the DIY plan anymore only left all their standard plans

seems like supplementary line could be the way to go. singtel supplementary line $10.70/mth , m1 supplementary $12/mth starhub no idea where it is. actually all their website sucks. then add on unlimited talk time about $15-$16. add on a caller id about $5. ah actually calculate also comes up to about $30 meh almost about the same :s22:

Starhub > Mobile T&C - page 41 point 7.10 - SharePlus

Unless current mobile line do not have contract then maybe can opt for Starhub SIM Only plan + VAS Unlimited Talktime as listed in my previous post.
Starhub new mobile plan have no contract and include Free Caller-ID.

There is other Telco you can consider too.

Not advisable to use Prepaid due to calls are chargeable according to rates.
Although there do have Voice call plans and still need to monitor the usage.
Want to know more > https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/116352987-post8324.html

THEMIKOS

Reaction score
I dont recall there being a caller id charge for the mobileshare line. I may be wrong. Its a glat $10.70 a month charge.

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score
Starhub > Mobile T&C - page 41 point 7.10 - SharePlus

Unless current mobile line do not have contract then maybe can opt for Starhub SIM Only plan + VAS Unlimited Talktime as listed in my previous post.
Starhub new mobile plan have no contract and include Free Caller-ID.

There is other Telco you can consider too.

Not advisable to use Prepaid due to calls are chargeable according to rates.
Although there do have Voice call plans and still need to monitor the usage.
Want to know more > https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/116352987-post8324.html

not gonna do prepaid would be too messy for her already. but ya both plans have expired thats why looking for new alternatives to fit. seems like even if i play around the plans still gonna need to pay at least $30/mth just for her talktime the only good thing is that she probably wont overshoot the bill cause unlimited talk time. it just feels logical but doesnt feel of value.

I dont recall there being a caller id charge for the mobileshare line. I may be wrong. Its a glat $10.70 a month charge.

yea the caller id have to ownself pay to get it if not its not included i checked.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Setup icon on phone and teach her how to do voice call using whatsapp.

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score

Yeah or use Skype to call fixed line or people with no whatsapp. Still have to pay, but Skype credits aren't expensive. If you've Office 365 subscription, you get a bit of minutes free each month.

Easiest way is teach her how to missed call her friends, then wait for her friends to call back. Free incoming call. Explain this method works like pager method in the 90s.

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score

Yeah or use Skype to call fixed line or people with no whatsapp. Still have to pay, but Skype credits aren't expensive. If you've Office 365 subscription, you get a bit of minutes free each month.

Easiest way is teach her how to missed call her friends, then wait for her friends to call back. Free incoming call. Explain this method works like pager method in the 90s.

This.

And get a SIM only plan that doesn't charge you if you exceed your GB, but throttle at most

she is 80 plus already. ive bought her the most basic keypad phone and things like checking miss call or lock/unlocking keypad she already has trouble even after teaching over and over. so going to whatsapp is like gonna be even worst cause she doesnt even store her contacts at all on phone.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not gonna do prepaid would be too messy for her already. but ya both plans have expired thats why looking for new alternatives to fit. seems like even if i play around the plans still gonna need to pay at least $30/mth just for her talktime the only good thing is that she probably wont overshoot the bill cause unlimited talk time. it just feels logical but doesnt feel of value.

yea the caller id have to ownself pay to get it if not its not included i checked.

Old folks usually keep their contact separately on small notebook.
At least get a plan with unlimited calls to avoid absurd cost and the subscription to be constant/same.
No contract plan is the best.

Certain things are unavoidable.

geekboy

Banned
Reaction score

Thanks

M1 mysim 15gb for $20 + unlimited talk time add on for $7.50.

$30 still got change buy $2.50 chicken rice.

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score
Old folks usually keep their contact separately on small notebook.
At least get a plan with unlimited calls to avoid absurd cost and the subscription to be constant/same.
No contract plan is the best.

Certain things are unavoidable.

yea she still does that small notebook thing. can only continue watching out for the new telco and hope something changes.

M1 mysim 15gb for $20 + unlimited talk time add on for $7.50.

$30 still got change buy $2.50 chicken rice.

hmmm $7.50 until dec 2019. better than nothing i guess...

ymng24

Reaction score

Thanks

Suggest you explore the Singtel Combo Plan + a share line.
Combo Plan for yourself and the share line for grandma.
I am on Silver Combo 1 at abt $24/m, comes with 100mb +100m talk time +500sms. Got a share line+caller ID for my wife at abt $16/m comes with additional 500mb data.

So I get 600mb data, 100m talkT n 500sms. I use all data little talkT n sms.My wife use most TalkT. No data.
Total I pay abt $40/m for both. Provide no exceeding limits.

SibehHL

Reaction score
Suggest you explore the Singtel Combo Plan + a share line.
Combo Plan for yourself and the share line for grandma.
I am on Silver Combo 1 at abt $24/m, comes with 100mb +100m talk time +500sms. Got a share line+caller ID for my wife at abt $16/m comes with additional 500mb data.

So I get 600mb data, 100m talkT n 500sms. I use all data little talkT n sms.My wife use most TalkT. No data.
Total I pay abt $40/m for both. Provide no exceeding limits.

Based on your needs, should seriously consider a SIM-only telco plan.

For example; M1 latest promo gives you 15GB + 100mins talk time + 100SMS + Caller ID; all for $20 per month.

You can add $10 (promo price now is $5) for additional 800mins talk time + $12 (share line) + $5.35 (share line Caller ID)

So you get lots more data & talk time while your monthly bill stays approximately $42 for a 12 months contract... But note this is a SIM-Only plan, no discounted phones.

racoon12

Reaction score
For those NTUC member, for M1 my sim plan (which i signed up) there will be additional 1GB data (so u will be getting a total of 16GB data) and 10% subscription.

Based on your needs, should seriously consider a SIM-only telco plan.

For example; M1 latest promo gives you 15GB + 100mins talk time + 100SMS + Caller ID; all for $20 per month.

You can add $10 (promo price now is $5) for additional 800mins talk time + $12 (share line) + $5.35 (share line Caller ID)

So you get lots more data & talk time while your monthly bill stays approximately $42 for a 12 months contract... But note this is a SIM-Only plan, no discounted phones.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.