TPG Technical Discussion Thread

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air 2 working well so far on TPG Mobile’s LTE data network, but it’s not a VoLTE device. This device supports both of what seem to be TPG’s LTE bands (8 and 40).

I’m sure they have their hands full, and I don’t know if the regulators would allow it, but it’d be pretty neat if TPG could light up a token 2G GSM 900MHz national network for global roamers (especially for emergency calls) and SMS. TPG’s LTE Band 8 allocation (900MHz) would allow them to pull this off using a very tiny bit of that allocation since it’s a GSM compatible allocation — and they could do it with barely enough for one or two low bitrate (AMR-WB 6.60 and GSM HR) voice channels, for example, and with no 2G data service (GPRS/EDGE) of course. And they could generate some global roaming revenue with that tiny bit of 2G, and they need revenue I’m sure. T-Mobile in the U.S. has done exactly this sort of thing, and it works well in combination with 4G LTE networks. (3G doesn’t work as well in pairing like this since it requires too much minimum frequency allocation.)

There are still probably tons of “naive” foreign workers and tourists arriving in Singapore with 2G phones that don’t work. Well, they could work, for very, very basic emergency-oriented service and for SMS. And all the phones that have problems with VoLTE — there are many — could at least get some basic SMS service (which TPG could charge for at certain tiers) in combination with LTE data.

On edit: I see Vodafone and Huawei are doing exactly this sort of thing (GSM/LTE) in Turkey also on 900MHz, with lots of LTE but a minimum viable/skeleton 2G GSM service. It’s just a wild idea to try to come up with ways TPG might find some revenue.
IMDA only allocated rights to operate 3G/WCDMA to the Big Three. TPG is only allowed to operate on 4G/LTE and later technologies on their spectrum.

So even though possible in technical standpoint, licensing rights doesn't permit any of the four carriers to operate on GSM network.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MIX 2 using GAGT

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMDA only allocated rights to operate 3G/WCDMA to the Big Three. TPG is only allowed to operate on 4G/LTE and later technologies on their spectrum.

So even though possible in technical standpoint, licensing rights doesn't permit any of the four carriers to operate on GSM network.

Disabling 2g was seen as a progressive statement, IIRC, there were examples of Japan, Macau, SK in articles during that time. Also was mentioned that Europe still aims to close 2g in 2020, so SG is ahead. Turkey many areas don't even still have 4g, so I don't think the authorities here are going to look at Turkey for benchmark.

The 3 telcos has more impact on the local economy and they were made to take losses by closing down 2g, so I don't see a foreign entrant getting any preferential treatment.

Another point, closing of 2g impacted a lot of seniors. Do you think, foreigners and tourists should be exempted when local seniors had to adapt?

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Disabling 2g was seen as a progressive statement, IIRC, there were examples of Japan, Macau, SK in articles during that time. Also was mentioned that Europe still aims to close 2g in 2020, so SG is ahead. Turkey many areas don't even still have 4g, so I don't think the authorities here are going to look at Turkey for benchmark.

The 3 telcos has more impact on the local economy and they were made to take losses by closing down 2g, so I don't see a foreign entrant getting any preferential treatment.

Another point, closing of 2g impacted a lot of seniors. Do you think, foreigners and tourists should be exempted when local seniors had to adapt?

Been a small country and less population. Is always much easier to make such a decision.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
List of dongle model

Huawei
- e5573
- e53775-32
- E8278s-602
- e5573cs-609

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Actually by shutting down GSM, they're cutting cost in the long term. No need to maintain the infrastructure and can reallocate the spectrum that they have for newer technologies for much faster data (their main revenue now).

It's just a one time cost to tear down those antennas and after that savings over a long term.

siron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just collected my SIM at Penang Road. No queue at all

Internet is fast but voice call is still not working ! :)

comex_1

Reaction score
tested on very old Xperia SP. Data OK,Voice No.

Not sure if such a thread exists, but I'm posting it here first.

Compatible phones with TPG:
1) Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (Taiwan/WW version) - LTE OK, VoLTE unknown
2) Sony Z3+ - LTE OK, VoLTE unknown
3) iPhone SE - LTE OK, VoLTE unknown

Non-compatible phones:
1) Xiaomi Mi4i (No service)
2) Motorola Z Play (No service)

Network coverage map:
Only SpeedTest.net app

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Can’t get vol lte working on my Pixel 1, Data works splendidly after configuration

iphone88

Reaction score
Is it plug and play? Need to setup anything before start using?
I collected today but no internet at all.
Using Note 8 and Mi Max 2.

Just collected my SIM at Penang Road. No queue at all

Internet is fast but voice call is still not working ! :)

limjialok

Reaction score
List of dongle model

Huawei
- e5573
- e53775-32
- E8278s-602
- e5573cs-609

How's the coverage of E5573cs-609 ? Since it doesn't have 2300 band

Or is there router that support both bands at $50 range?

Last edited:

lenseview

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it plug and play? Need to setup anything before start using?
I collected today but no internet at all.
Using Note 8 and Mi Max 2.

You never see the apn they pasted on the wall at collection venue?

Go set your apn to tpg.

x3nor_S

Reaction score
My mi max 2 cannot even get any signal for TPG let alone data. Anyone got this issue? At yishun area now

carboy00

Reaction score
Redmi Note 3 SE - LTE OK, VoLTE not working
LG G3 - LTE OK, VoLTE not working
Mi Max 2 - LTE and VoLTE OK.

Last edited:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I put this sim in my wife's M1 A1. VOLTE seems to be enabled since I can see the HD symbol. However calling or SMS doesnt work.

Sending sms from my Circle sim to TPG sim fails and I get the failed message in the Circles SIM itself. Normal sms gets sent even if the reciever's sim is not in the phone. But in this case, it doesnt even get sent. So I guess, the sms mechanism doesnt even recognize the TPG number as valid mobile number.

So cant use TPG for receiving any kind of promo codes related sms etc.

Last edited:

carboy00

Reaction score
I put this sim in my wife's M1 A1. VOLTE seems to be enabled since I can see the HD symbol. However calling or SMS doesnt work.

Sending sms from my Circle sim to TPG sim fails and I get the failed message in the Circles SIM itself. Normal sms gets sent even if the reciever's sim is not in the phone. But in this case, it doesnt even get sent. So I guess, the sms mechanism doesnt even recognize the TPG number as valid mobile number.

So cant use TPG for receiving any kind of promo codes related sms etc.

As mentioned in their website, "Mobile voice calling to other local mobiles will be available when our interconnections with the local operators are facilitated".

No calls and SMS can be made to and from mobile numbers of other networks just yet. If VoLTE is working, calls to landline and other TPG numbers are possible, verified with my Redmi 5.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.