HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* BBCWatcher club

Like Tree163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #1771

got another noob question... couldnt find the answer to it from internet..

May i know approximately how many percent of dividends will we get quarterly from the below etfs? (i understand that the dividends will be reinvested)

1)IWDA (after 15% withholding)
2)ES3
3)MBH

the reason im asking this is to understand if there is a possibility to "live off" dividends when its time to retire.

for example: if the average dividend per quarter for the 3 etf combined is 1%. And i have approximately 500k combined in them. Quarterly i be able to get a dividend of $5000. Coupled with CPF life, i think it be pretty decent to just live off dividends without touching the nest egg at all.

im a noob.. be gentle
yesimvested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #1772
Master Member

got another noob question... couldnt find the answer to it from internet..

May i know approximately how many percent of dividends will we get quarterly from the below etfs? (i understand that the dividends will be reinvested)

2)ES3
3)MBH

the reason im asking this is to understand if there is a possibility to "live off" dividends when its time to retire.

for example: if the average dividend per quarter for the 3 etf combined is 1%. And i have approximately 500k combined in them. Quarterly i be able to get a dividend of $5000. Coupled with CPF life, i think it be pretty decent to just live off dividends without touching the nest egg at all.

im a noob.. be gentle
1% per quarter means 4% per year. Of course it wont be so high unless you are >90% in reits

In short, when drawing down, do the reverse of accumulating. Sell the leading asset(s) monthly/quarterly according to AA
assiak71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #1773

ah ok... so how many percent are people historically getting per individual etf listed below? would u know?

also.. whats AA? (noob question)

thanks

1% per quarter means 4% per year. Of course it wont be so high unless you are >90% in reits

In short, when drawing down, do the reverse of accumulating. Sell the leading asset(s) monthly/quarterly according to AA

Last edited by yesimvested; 06-02-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #1774
Master Member

ah ok... so how many percent are people historically getting per individual etf listed below? would u know?

also.. whats AA? (noob question)

thanks
All the dividend yields can be found by searching. E.g. for ES3 and MBH just sum up the past 12mth dividend and divide by current price

AA = asset allocation
Old 06-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #1775
Arch-Supremacy Member

This fund holds most stocks listed across all of the "developed" countries' stock markets. All the dividends that these stocks pay are reinvested in the fund, less applicable dividend taxes in the countries where these stocks are listed. It's all automatic, the dividends vary, and the dividend tax rates vary. Currently IWDA's underlying gross dividend yield is about 2% per year.

2)ES3
ES3 does not reinvest dividends; it distributes them. Please review fund publications if you'd like past dividend distribution details, and please note that this fund's dividend distributions are planned for twice per year but subject to the fund manager's discretion. That is, the fund manager decides whether, when, and how much to distribute dividends, and the fund manager is under no particular obligation to distribute what the underlying shares themselves distribute. For example, the fund manager could elect to accept scrip dividend offers in lieu of cash dividends. (And we should be grateful the fund manager gets to make such decisions, hopefully intelligently.)

3)MBH
Same thing, except MBH is managed by Nikko AM and has planned, discretionary, annual dividend distributions.

That's not a particularly interesting question to answer, actually. All three of these funds are highly liquid, and all you should really care about is total long-term returns, inclusive of manually and automatically reinvested dividends. When you're ready to draw down assets in retirement, you can do that through any combination of discretionary distributed dividends (without reinvestment) and share sales.

Don't worry about it, in other words.

Last edited by BBCWatcher; 06-02-2020 at 12:48 PM..
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #1776

got it..thanks

All the dividend yields can be found by searching. E.g. for ES3 and MBH just sum up the past 12mth dividend and divide by current price

AA = asset allocation
Old 06-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #1777

understand.. thanks!

This fund holds most stocks listed across all of the "developed" countries' stock markets. All the dividends that these stocks pay are reinvested in the fund, less applicable dividend taxes in the countries where these stocks are listed. It's all automatic, the dividends vary, and the dividend tax rates vary. Currently IWDA's underlying gross dividend yield is about 2% per year.

ES3 does not reinvest dividends; it distributes them. Please review fund publications if you'd like past dividend distribution details, and please note that this fund's dividend distributions are planned for twice per year but subject to the fund manager's discretion. That is, the fund manager decides whether, when, and how much to distribute dividends, and the fund manager is under no particular obligation to distribute what the underlying shares themselves distribute. For example, the fund manager could elect to accept scrip dividend offers in lieu of cash dividends. (And we should be grateful the fund manager gets to make such decisions, hopefully intelligently.)

Same thing, except MBH is managed by Nikko AM and has planned, discretionary, annual dividend distributions.

That's not a particularly interesting question to answer, actually. All three of these funds are highly liquid, and all you should really care about is total long-term returns, inclusive of manually and automatically reinvested dividends. When you're ready to draw down assets in retirement, you can do that through any combination of discretionary distributed dividends (without reinvestment) and share sales.

Don't worry about it, in other words.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #1778

https://www.dividends.sg/view/es3

https://www.dividends.sg/view/MBH
Thoreldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #1779

thanks! appreciate it

Old 07-02-2020, 12:23 AM   #1780
Arch-Supremacy Member

Here's another quick update....

It's another January, so here's what I'm up to (in no particular order):

1. My spouse and I have already put the wheels in motion to make the maximum U.S. IRA contributions for 2020. (It takes a few steps and some days to do that, mechanically, but I start the process as early as allowed.)
Well underway.

2. We'll make our CPF top ups for tax relief at the end of this month.
All done, although one of us might have some "gap filling" MediSave top ups later in the year.

5. I'm penciling in two family vacations for 2020, and I'm keeping an eye on airfares.
And now keeping an eye on the 2019-nCoV-related disruptions.

6. I'm checking my immunizations to see if any boosters are due in 2020. (Tetanus, maybe?)
All good, including Tetanus.

Don't forget about other important investments. For example, it's good to learn how to swim if you or a loved one haven't learned yet. Also, Valentine's Day is coming up on February 14.
loackerc likes this.
Old 14-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #1781

Hi BBCWatcher,

There has been talk about a potential downturn of the economy because of the corona virus. Do you have any general advice for us in this market? Is putting monies into gold a good short term option? I have seen people suggesting buying GLD through IB as a hedge at this point. Please can you let us know your thoughts. Sorry if you have written it elsewhere. I went back a few pages but could not find anything on this.
Lucky_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #1782
Master Member

Hi BBCWatcher,

There has been talk about a potential downturn of the economy because of the corona virus. Do you have any general advice for us in this market? Is putting monies into gold a good short term option? I have seen people suggesting buying GLD through IB as a hedge at this point. Please can you let us know your thoughts. Sorry if you have written it elsewhere. I went back a few pages but could not find anything on this.
Listen to jack bogle

Stay the course
BBCWatcher likes this.
Old 15-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #1783

Hi BBCWatcher, I was recently admitted to a US university for a master degree, which typically recommends the students to undergo an internship before graduation (and I plan to get some working experience over there as well). For some background, I'm an Indonesian national and a Singapore PR.

I recall that I've signed forms with banks/brokers stating that I'm not a US resident, US person or resident alien (I can't recall the exact terms), would working or doing paid internships and therefore paying US taxes change this?

Most of my investments are in IB (IWDA/EIMI etc) and SSB, considering that the US has capital gain taxes, what are the things that I should look for prior to my arrival in the US? I'd appreciate if you can point me to some additional resources to read as well.

Thank you!
lemniscate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #1784

Hi BBCWatcher,

About the Singapore 6 month T bill, is the cut-off yield that is announced at close of auction the yield the successful applicant will receive?
Thanks in advance.

They announce 3 types of yield:
Average yield
Median yield
Cut-off yield

Last edited by Shine.gdj; 15-02-2020 at 08:55 PM..
Shine.gdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #1785
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi BBCWatcher, I was recently admitted to a US university for a master degree, which typically recommends the students to undergo an internship before graduation (and I plan to get some working experience over there as well). For some background, I'm an Indonesian national and a Singapore PR.

I recall that I've signed forms with banks/brokers stating that I'm not a US resident, US person or resident alien (I can't recall the exact terms), would working or doing paid internships and therefore paying US taxes change this?
What’ll be your U.S. visa type?

About the Singapore 6 month T bill, is the cut-off yield that is announced at close of auction the yield the successful applicant will receive?
If you place a noncompetitive bid, yes. That’s the only type of bid individual investors should be making.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.