HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* BBCWatcher club

Like Tree163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #1831
Arch-Supremacy Member

if you are a multi member LLC taxed as a partnership, wouldn't you need to obtain itin and file return even for nil income?
Maybe.

Which ETF do you recommend to purchase if I want to purchase S&P 500?
I am a Singaporean working in Singapore, hence prefer Ireland domiciled ETF.
I don't recommend you overweight any country's stock markets except perhaps Singapore's, to a degree, but let's suppose you do and let's take a look....

VUSD - Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF
Distributing, 0.07% OCF, US$25.8B AUM

SPY5 - SPDR S&P 500 UCITS ETF
Distributing, 0.09% TER, US$4.1B AUM
Not this one.

CSPX - iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF
Accumulating, 0.07% OCF, US$35.3B AUM
This one is winning so far.

S27 - SPDR S&P500 US$ in SGX
No, not this one. S27 has to bear the 30% non-treaty dividend tax rate.

Among these, CSPX is the winner.

Which ETF would you recommend if I want to take short term? How about long term?
I am already vested in VWRD and IWDA on long term.
VWRD (also VWRA) and IWDA already contain 60+% U.S. listed stocks. I don't think it's necessary or advisable to overweight U.S. listed stocks.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #1832

Hi BBC, which broker would you recommend to buy irish domiciled ETFs?

I cant meet IBKR 100k, so am looking at either Saxo or SCB, any advice?

And looking at your comments, CSPX wins so far?
GloryKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #1833
Master Member

Hi BBC, which broker would you recommend to buy irish domiciled ETFs?

And looking at your comments, CSPX wins so far?
Forget about Saxo, they charge a custody fee on all non SGX stocks.

CSPX is good if all you want is the S&P 500 but why not invest globally instead?
crystalnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #1834

CSPX is good if all you want is the S&P 500 but why not invest globally instead?
Financialhorse website mentioned that saxo is looking to kill its custodian fees. But well, scb better for now i guess.

Aiming for s&p but also something global in the meantime.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #1835
Master Member

Wonder if robos which use saxo charge a higher fee due to saxo custody fee?
assiak71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #1836
Master Member

Wonder if robos which use saxo charge a higher fee due to saxo custody fee?
I'm sure Saxo offers a lower corporate/institutional rate for the robos.
crystalnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #1837

If you expect to be able to reach US$100k in less than 10 years, taking into account growth of the value of the stocks, I would go with IBKR anyway. Breakeven was 7-8 years previously, but now that it's doubtful that stocks can be directly transferred from SCB to IBKR, I would allow more time to reach that goal, since it will cost even more to sell and rebuy (may possible need to incur another pair of FX fees if you can't transfer directly from your SCB US$ Settlement account to IBKR account).
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #1838

If you expect to be able to reach US$100k in less than 10 years, taking into account growth of the value of the stocks, I would go with IBKR anyway. Breakeven was 7-8 years previously, but now that it's doubtful that stocks can be directly transferred from SCB to IBKR, I would allow more time to reach that goal, since it will cost even more to sell and rebuy (may possible need to incur another pair of FX fees if you can't transfer directly from your SCB US$ Settlement account to IBKR account).
How bout tradestation global? Whitelabel of ibkr? Better than scb/saxo?
Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #1839
Arch-Supremacy Member

How bout tradestation global? Whitelabel of ibkr? Better than scb/saxo?
TradeStation Global looks pretty good, actually. There's a minimum initial funding requirement of US$1,000, and there's no minimum monthly commission, although "...We reserve the right to review inactive accounts on a regular basis, contact clients and take any appropriate action." Otherwise, it's effectively Interactive Brokers.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #1840
Master Member

TradeStation Global looks pretty good, actually. There's a minimum initial funding requirement of US$1,000, and there's no minimum monthly commission, although "...We reserve the right to review inactive accounts on a regular basis, contact clients and take any appropriate action." Otherwise, it's effectively Interactive Brokers.
Whats this. A workaround to the minimum commission? Can singaporeans trade sgx?
assiak71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #1841
Arch-Supremacy Member

Whats this. A workaround to the minimum commission?
Possibly.

Can singaporeans trade sgx?
If they live outside Singapore, yes. If they don't, doubtful.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #1842
Arch-Supremacy Member

The implied nominal yield on 10 year U.S. Treasuries has dipped below 1%.

U.S. Treasuries are the world's safest vehicles for parking large quantities of U.S. dollars. On behalf of U.S. taxpayers everywhere, to those of you buying U.S. federal government general debt instruments, thank you for your support.

More seriously, if this fall in U.S. interest rates persists then it should, to some extent, drive down mortgage interest rates in Singapore. It may also make this month's Singapore Savings Bond, which is pegged at a nominal average yield of 1.63% (1.46% in Year 1) comparatively attractive, would you believe. And of course CPF is looking better than ever at its floor rates.

Last edited by BBCWatcher; 02-03-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Old 02-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #1843

not available here? I just tried to sign up

Unfortunately, our Global account is currently not available in your country. We are working hard to cover as many countries as possible and we will contact you as soon as we have an update.
thespell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #1844

Are foreigners (specifically Singaporeans) with J1 Visas able to open a US-based online broker account like Ameritrade or IBKR to take advantage of the lower fees there, as compared to the accounts available here in Singapore? Or do they require social security numbers like how ours require NRICs when registering?
tutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #1845
Arch-Supremacy Member

Are foreigners (specifically Singaporeans) with J1 Visas able to open a US-based online broker account like Ameritrade or IBKR to take advantage of the lower fees there, as compared to the accounts available here in Singapore?
Yes, although there are likely better U.S. broker choices, especially for an IRA which would be your first vehicle if you have U.S. earned income.

With a J-1 you can also (eventually; see below) open a TreasuryDirect account if you want to buy U.S. Savings Bonds and/or U.S. Treasuries. You can also open excellent bank and/or credit union accounts and even obtain great credit cards, even with no credit history, such as the Deserve EDU credit card. (Remember to set it up for AutoPay.) In fact, you can apply for the Deserve EDU card even if you don't have a SSN or ITIN yet.

Or do they require social security numbers like how ours require NRICs when registering?
Most do, but J-1 visa holders are generally eligible to obtain U.S. Social Security Numbers. You should get one if you're eligible, and you should start the process just as soon as you arrive. Once you have a SSN, it's yours for life.
tutonic likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.