www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Money Mind (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/)
-   -   *Official* BBCWatcher club (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/%2Aofficial%2A-bbcwatcher-club-5855578.html)

MrHighlander 14-08-2018 11:58 PM

Yes, or levy a capital gains tax on foreign ownership that eats into the profits.

On a related note, EIMI hasn’t moved down much. It was high 28-ish last wed and now mid 27-ish. It’s holding up way better than the 2015-16 EM sell off when it dropped below 19. Waiting for a cheaper price to get some.

Also, on EIMI Ishares webpage, it shows AUM of USD9.254B - is this net asset value shared across (or in other words, the aggregate value of) the different currrencies/different stock exchange listings of EIMI (ie listed in London/Amsterdam/Italy and USD/Euro/GBP etc) or is this net asset value just for USD EIMI on the LSE?

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individua...-imi-ucits-etf
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBCWatcher (Post 115998463)
That's pretty easy to imagine, actually. One possible way is that the Turkish government simply declares foreign owned shares to be null and void, or frozen/non-tradeable in some way.

I am: take a vacation in Turkey. ;)

maple96 15-08-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defying_Gravity (Post 115996282)
Hi Maple96,

Could you please elaborate. I don't quite understand what you and henrybhl mean. Do u mean that since all three plans are "bequest lottery", we might as well bet on the one that offers a potentially higher bequest?

CPF Life is not a bequest lottery nor a betting centre!

We make decisions on which CPF Life Plan to adopt based on facts, based on what we know/understand how CPF Life works for us, based on our knowledge of our family lifespan, our health history etc.

This is my view: if I estimate my lifespan is unlikely to pass 90 (I am healthy but my parents died 83 to 91 and my siblings 70, I do not have dependents but has siblings), I will choose the Basic Plan starting payout at 65.

Basic Plan Benefits:

1. only 10-20% (depending on age and "circumstances" defined by CPFB at the then 65) of RA goes to CPF Life Pool as premium. It will not earn u guaranteed interest of 4% but u get to enjoy this 4% in the pool if u live long enough beyond 95 (estimated). I will try to reduce this premium by withdrawing whatever I am entitled at 65. Unused CPF premium when u exit CPF Life will be refunded. If u die before 90, unused CPF premium will likely be same as what u put in initially, ie u get your money back (no 4% interest).

2. Balance of 80-90% will remain in RA, earning 4+2% interest compounded. This will account for the bulk of the money in the bequest amount if u exit CPF Life earlier than expected.

3. Higher mthly payout compared to Escalating but lower than Standard (about 100-200). This small amt of difference (compared to Standard) does not matter to me as I have other means to "compensate" for the difference. This slightly lower payout does contribute to the higher bequest amt (as compare to Standard) if u exit CPF Life earlier than expected, but the bulk of the monies come directly/indirectly from the compounded interest in 2 above.

Your mum has a standard plan with property pledge, so only 50% goes to the pool as premium, so long she does not sell her flat. Now u topup her RA, u need to check with CPFB will the money stay in RA at 65 when she start payout.

revhappy 15-08-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHighlander (Post 116002355)
Yes, or levy a capital gains tax on foreign ownership that eats into the profits.

On a related note, EIMI hasn’t moved down much. It was high 28-ish last wed and now mid 27-ish. It’s holding up way better than the 2015-16 EM sell off when it dropped below 19. Waiting for a cheaper price to get some.

Also, on EIMI Ishares webpage, it shows AUM of USD9.254B - is this net asset value shared across (or in other words, the aggregate value of) the different currrencies/different stock exchange listings of EIMI (ie listed in London/Amsterdam/Italy and USD/Euro/GBP etc) or is this net asset value just for USD EIMI on the LSE?

It is the AUM of EIMI, the security. The same security can be bought on one exchange and sold on another. So if the ISIN is same then it is the same thing.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

henrylbh 15-08-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple96 (Post 116008621)
CPF Life is not a bequest lottery nor a betting centre!

Your views are not welcome in this thread. Put a link to your views in other 'dedicated' threads. https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/m...874907-34.html

maple96 15-08-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henrylbh (Post 116009432)
Your views are not welcome in this thread. Put a link to your views in other 'dedicated' threads. https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/m...874907-34.html

if u have any questions on CPF life, pls start a new thread or use above link.

this will be my final post here.

peipei1 15-08-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

On a related note, EIMI hasnít moved down much. It was high 28-ish last wed and now mid 27-ish. Itís holding up way better than the 2015-16 EM sell off when it dropped below 19. Waiting for a cheaper price to get some.

You spoke too soon, eimi just crashed! :(
I queued at 27 and now i have more EM exposure. STI etf also crashing with it, my EM portfolio down for day.
Feel is caused by tencent crash! Feel more crash will come from China side which will drag down EIMI more than Turkey or Argentina...!

revhappy 15-08-2018 10:22 PM

India is holding up good so far. If India also crashes like China then EIMI could be down another 5%. At this point I am not adding anymore to my exposure. I am 45% equities. Pretty happy with this allocation for the moment. If there is a total chaos like some manic monday, Tuesday or whatever and prices are down like 30-40% and people are throwing the baby with the bathwater, I will buy then.

EagleToThesSky 15-08-2018 11:34 PM

Waiting for the BTO to be completed in Clementi. What do you think would be the potential for value appreciation as BTO price is already very high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiteHouse (Post 115944055)
Fact 1: SG land is limited.
Fact 2: Population must increase for economy sake.
Fact 3: Clementi, Bouna Vista, Queenstown, Bishan, TPY, Etc are running out of land for BTOs. If you want these areas u have to buy resale or condo.

EagleToThesSky 16-08-2018 12:00 AM

Down 3+ percent...that is a lot in one day

Quote:

Originally Posted by peipei1 (Post 116014862)
You spoke too soon, eimi just crashed! :(
I queued at 27 and now i have more EM exposure. STI etf also crashing with it, my EM portfolio down for day.
Feel is caused by tencent crash! Feel more crash will come from China side which will drag down EIMI more than Turkey or Argentina...!

peipei1 16-08-2018 12:48 AM

EIMI another month of downtrend becomes longest downtrend in history. :o

More worrying for investors is the percentage drop still have room to go down, i feel it may hit 20 by end of year because China is trying to sweep their economy problems under the mat, at same time fighting with Trump on tariffs, for face reasons, Xi unlikely to back down. I see a slow burn for EM investors until next year, if lucky.

I know STBBC do not recommend more than 10% EM exposure, this slow down trend, do you think can pick up more than planned for new investors?

Shiny Things 16-08-2018 02:43 AM

Quote:

That's the AUM for the accumulating dividends class, across all exchanges and all listings. Add in about $130mio of AUM in the distributing dividends share class, and you get to about $9.38 billion total.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHighlander (Post 115996438)
One question: how would capital controls hurt the ETF? Malaysia imposed capital controls during the AFC, and that was ultimately seen as beneficial to its stock market and economy.

Tough to say, but I think it would just keep on trucking. There are ETFs on Chinese A-shares that don't bat an eyelid at capital controls; the key is that inflows and outflows from ETFs generally happen in the form of shares, rather than in the form of cash. So you could still sell your ETF for USD; or you could (if you were a bank's market-making desk) hand the ETF shares back to the fund manager and receive (capital-controlled) Turkish equities in return. At that point, selling the shares and getting the cash out of Turkey becomes your problem.

EagleToThesSky 16-08-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peipei1 (Post 116019377)
EIMI another month of downtrend becomes longest downtrend in history. :o

More worrying for investors is the percentage drop still have room to go down, i feel it may hit 20 by end of year because China is trying to sweep their economy problems under the mat, at same time fighting with Trump on tariffs, for face reasons, Xi unlikely to back down. I see a slow burn for EM investors until next year, if lucky.

I know STBBC do not recommend more than 10% EM exposure, this slow down trend, do you think can pick up more than planned for new investors?

Like the new name STBBC!

And I hope your crystal ball is right, as I am not planning to buy anytime soon.

MrHighlander 16-08-2018 05:07 PM

Any implications arising from the denomination currency being different ? For example, does EIMI denominated in USD have a tighter bid/ask spread and/or potential buyers/sellers than EIMI denominated in EUR or GBP?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny Things (Post 116019966)
That's the AUM for the accumulating dividends class, across all exchanges and all listings. Add in about $130mio of AUM in the distributing dividends share class, and you get to about $9.38 billion total.

Tough to say, but I think it would just keep on trucking. There are ETFs on Chinese A-shares that don't bat an eyelid at capital controls; the key is that inflows and outflows from ETFs generally happen in the form of shares, rather than in the form of cash. So you could still sell your ETF for USD; or you could (if you were a bank's market-making desk) hand the ETF shares back to the fund manager and receive (capital-controlled) Turkish equities in return. At that point, selling the shares and getting the cash out of Turkey becomes your problem.

Shiny Things 16-08-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHighlander (Post 116030105)
Any implications arising from the denomination currency being different ? For example, does EIMI denominated in USD have a tighter bid/ask spread and/or potential buyers/sellers than EIMI denominated in EUR or GBP?

Yep. Because the USD, EUR, and GBP listings are different stock codes (sometimes even different exchanges), they'll have different liquidity and spreads. I haven't actually looked at this recently, but I think the USD listing in London is the tightest (also, if you're using Stanchart, it's the cheapest in terms of FX spread).

revhappy 16-08-2018 11:48 PM

In my view passive ETFs are no way as popular anywhere in the world as they are in the US. Hence, London volumes are a fraction of the US volumes. Hong Kong is almost non existent. Some of the Hong Kong ETFs have 1% spread. Crazy.