www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Money Mind (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/)
-   -   *Official* BBCWatcher club (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/%2Aofficial%2A-bbcwatcher-club-5855578.html)

w1rbelw1nd 26-06-2018 07:31 PM

That's not a fair statement to make imo. There are lots of people in the credit card threads that posted specific hacks that can lead to rebates/savings, I would argue that their contributions are substantial as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarklar (Post 115155503)
It is ironic that the 2 most helpful and knowledgeable participants about local personal finance issues on this MoneyMind forum are foreigners - BBCWatcher (American) and ShinyThings (Australian).

They are live testimonies that PAP's foreign talent policy is working well. LOL.

a4973 26-06-2018 08:41 PM

Hi BBCW, I've received a policy coupon from AIA. It's $xxxx.00 & it's 10% of the face amount of the policy. Now I'm deciding whether to return it to my accumulation account or withdraw it & VC into cpf. I've asked my agent if I return it what's the interest on it and he says it's currently 3.25%. which is not really very clear to me. ie if return does the 3.25% get added onto the sum then accumulate into my account or what?
It's a Life policy BTW.
My question here is does anyone know how this 3.25% interest actually work so I can make an informed decision whether to return or withdraw? If this is too general a question, please let me know what other info I should get & provide to get a clearer picture of it. Thanks

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT

BBCWatcher 26-06-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4973 (Post 115158109)
Hi BBCW, I've received a policy coupon from AIA.... Now I'm deciding whether to return it to my accumulation account or withdraw it & VC into cpf.

Do you have the name of the AIA product handy? SmartRewards Saver (II) perhaps?

I'm not generally a fan of investment and savings products that insurance companies sell, but once you have such a product the optimum decisions aren't as obvious.

I'm a little thrown by the 10% coupon, but nonetheless if I've guessed correctly (or nearly correctly) about the product you have, then the way it appears to work is that AIA guarantees the coupons (equal to something 120% of the premiums paid, assuming all premiums are paid) but doesn't guarantee the 3.25% interest you were quoted. That figure looks suspiciously like the conventional lower projected (non-guaranteed) rate.

Have you finished paying all (or nearly all) premiums yet?

rrr2015 26-06-2018 10:18 PM

BBCW congrats & great to see you having your own thread!

may i know what you think of travel insurance from world nomads?
https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/

a4973 26-06-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBCWatcher (Post 115159468)

I'm not generally a fan of investment and savings products that insurance companies sell, but once you have such a product the optimum decisions aren't as obvious.

I'm a little thrown by the 10% coupon, but nonetheless if I've guessed correctly (or nearly correctly) about the product you have, then the way it appears to work is that AIA guarantees the coupons (equal to something 120% of the premiums paid, assuming all premiums are paid) but doesn't guarantee the 3.25% interest you were quoted. That figure looks suspiciously like the conventional lower projected (non-guaranteed) rate.

I'll go get the product name in the morning

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT

BBCWatcher 26-06-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrr2015 (Post 115160078)

The coverage is OK, but it appears to be merely a modified (not necessarily for the better), differently marketed, more expensive version of Bupa's travel medical insurance. So I'd just go to Bupa Global's Web site directly and compare policy wording, terms, and premiums.

Armwrestler 27-06-2018 12:09 AM

BBCW, I've always been intrigued by your wealth of knowledge.

Ok you're American citizen too, I see. Are you asian american/ chinese american ( not that it matters but just curious; and, unsure if it was mentioned earlier)

Tiger9119 27-06-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armwrestler (Post 115161973)
BBCW, I've always been intrigued by your wealth of knowledge.

Ok you're American citizen too, I see. Are you asian american/ chinese american ( not that it matters but just curious; and, unsure if it was mentioned earlier)

I guess he is Chinese Singaporean holding U.S. passport. Most Americans don't watch BBC and also don't know what is KK Hospital.

I really appreciate his opinions and advice.

foozgarden 27-06-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrr2015 (Post 115160078)
BBCW congrats & great to see you having your own thread!

are you local?
if so, you are better off getting it locally.
the premiums are too expensive, imo.

if you home country doesnt have it, then yes.

foozgarden 27-06-2018 11:30 AM

BBCW,
with all the chatter on the yield inversion, and we are heading into an impending recession. what are you thoughts?

a4973 27-06-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBCWatcher (Post 115159468)

https://imgur.com/a/Yh8Es7u
this is from PSBI generated in 2017

Purplestars 27-06-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarklar (Post 115155503)
It is ironic that the 2 most helpful and knowledgeable participants about local personal finance issues on this MoneyMind forum are foreigners - BBCWatcher (American) and ShinyThings (Australian).

They are live testimonies that PAP's foreign talent policy is working well. LOL.

Not saying these two guys aren't good, but they provide plenty of irrelevant advice as well, and advice many savvy Singaporeans won't agree with. You only think they are the most useful because you only visit their threads, so it becomes self reinforcing.

Just check how many Singaporeans will all in CPF like BBCW recommends. I think most sensible locals here will keep it in the bank accounts and play the credit card games. Plenty of such people around not following the foreigners' advice, you just need to visit the individual bank and credit card threads to see for yourself.

Extech 27-06-2018 05:10 PM

Hi BBCWatcher, big fan of yours. Would like your advice on this matter: Do you think I should apply for home insurance for my Uncle?

Uncle just moved into a 2 rm BTO on Single's scheme. He doesn't cook much and is clumsy. He actually got discharged hospital after suffering a nasty fall which saw him sustaining a hip fracture and being warded for about 5 weeks. Healthcare wise, government is taking care of him, with copious usage of his mediasave and medishield life haha.

rrr2015 27-06-2018 05:12 PM

thanks for pointing out, just realized they are under bupa!

quick check, bupa global quotes were higher but i need to compare difference between them
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBCWatcher (Post 115161521)
The coverage is OK, but it appears to be merely a modified (not necessarily for the better), differently marketed, more expensive version of Bupa's travel medical insurance. So I'd just go to Bupa Global's Web site directly and compare policy wording, terms, and premiums.

BBCWatcher 27-06-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foozgarden (Post 115167147)
with all the chatter on the yield inversion, and we are heading into an impending recession. what are you thoughts?

Let me ask my crystal ball.... ;)

I assume there will be another recession at some point, and the drift toward a U.S. Treasury yield inversion (not quite there yet) is one classic leading indicator. My guess (only that) is that the current expansion still has a few more quarters to run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrr2015
quick check, bupa global quotes were higher but i need to compare difference between them

If you're looking at annual travel medical insurance then Bupa Global direct's "Basic" policy should be approximately 100 British pounds per individual, and you might do slightly better with a coupon code (which you can find with an Internet search). World Nomads seems to be much higher than that, for a different (not necessarily better) coverage mix. For proper medical insurance (not just travel/emergency), the results could be different, but in Singapore you have to ask Raffles for a Bupa quote. (Bupa administers Singapore-issued policies, but Raffles underwrites them.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extech
Do you think I should apply for home insurance for my Uncle?

Are you talking about the HDB Fire Insurance (Etiqa 5 year policy), which costs a whopping $2.50? Or something more than that? (What?) Or both?