www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Money Mind (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/)
-   -   *Official* BBCWatcher club (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/%2Aofficial%2A-bbcwatcher-club-5855578.html)

Investnewbie82 03-03-2019 11:13 AM

Hi BBCW,

My portfolio is now 50-20-30 IWDA-ES3-SSB. IWDA I try to DCA every month. ES3 I accumulate to buy every half year as SCB have $10 min charge. Does this make sense? May I ask if there's a good template of spreadsheet I can/should use to track my investments? I now try key in every detail but not too sure what are the impt things as I DCA in.

Thanks a lot!

BBCWatcher 03-03-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Investnewbie82 (Post 119483138)
My portfolio is now 50-20-30 IWDA-ES3-SSB. IWDA I try to DCA every month. ES3 I accumulate to buy every half year as SCB have $10 min charge. Does this make sense?

It can make sense, sure. You're a little bond heavy (especially when consider CPF inflows) if you're in your accumulation years -- under age 55, for example.

A simple list of assets and account numbers is important for survivors, and keep monthly/annual account statements. Beyond that, don't worry about it.

power789 04-03-2019 09:35 PM

Hi BBC,

LON: VUSD is your Vanguard version of S&P500. What is the difference between VUSD vs CSPX?

You wrote: IWDA (or VWRD) , is there a difference between these 2?

Yup, I plan to over weigh on US stocks, so want to go with IWDA and S&P combo.

MrHighlander 04-03-2019 10:33 PM

Overweight when the US is at the longest bull run ever ? Caution

Quote:

Originally Posted by power789 (Post 119510752)
Hi BBC,

LON: VUSD is your Vanguard version of S&P500. What is the difference between VUSD vs CSPX?

You wrote: IWDA (or VWRD) , is there a difference between these 2?

Yup, I plan to over weigh on US stocks, so want to go with IWDA and S&P combo.

BBCWatcher 07-03-2019 08:24 PM

Planning to retire soon? Concerned about retirement finances? You might want to consider retiring outside Singapore. International Living suggests the following retirement countries (their “top 10” in this order): Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand, and Spain.

I’d caution that countries and immigration policies can change quickly, so you’ll probably want to maintain a basic “escape hatch” that allows moving back to the country where you have an unrestricted right of abode. However, even if you end up spending 10 or 20 years elsewhere then return, you can often stretch your retirement dollars further.

limster 07-03-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBCWatcher (Post 119564074)
Planning to retire soon? Concerned about retirement finances? You might want to consider retiring outside Singapore. International Living suggests the following retirement countries (their “top 10” in this order): Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand, and Spain.

I’d caution that countries and immigration policies can change quickly, so you’ll probably want to maintain a basic “escape hatch” that allows moving back to the country where you have an unrestricted right of abode. However, even if you end up spending 10 or 20 years elsewhere then return, you can often stretch your retirement dollars further.

such surveys probably score the cost of healthcare rather than the quality of healthcare. I would not be surprised if the 'elite' of those countries go to Singapore or other developed countries for their healthcare :s13:

BBCWatcher 08-03-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limster (Post 119564193)
such surveys probably score the cost of healthcare rather than the quality of healthcare.

No, not usually. You can check the original survey for details on their methodologies, but generally they include healthcare quality as a scoring factor. If they didn't then you'd probably see some extremely low cost of living countries in Africa and Asia appear on their list, but that's not what happened.

limster 08-03-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBCWatcher (Post 119578556)
No, not usually. You can check the original survey for details on their methodologies, but generally they include healthcare quality as a scoring factor. If they didn't then you'd probably see some extremely low cost of living countries in Africa and Asia appear on their list, but that's not what happened.

I think Portugal , Costa Rica , Thailand are definitely candidates for retirement. Malaysia, only because you can go back to Singapore.... like the guy who got shot in Malaysia and drove into Singapore with gunshot wound for treatment .

But I would want my retirement country to have a certain healthcare standard so maybe not the others...

First rank: WHO - Health System Performance
Second rank: Lancet 2018 - Healthcare Access and Quality Index
Both studies looked at 190+ countries.
Singapore: rank 6 / 22
Portugal rank 12 /32
Costa rica: rank 36 /62
Thailand: rank 47 / 76
Malaysia: rank 49 / 84
Mexico: rank 61 / 91
Panama: rank 95 / 82
Ecuador: rank 111 / 101

revhappy 08-03-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limster (Post 119579478)
I think Portugal , Costa Rica , Thailand are definitely candidates for retirement. Malaysia, only because you can go back to Singapore.... like the guy who got shot in Malaysia and drove into Singapore with gunshot wound for treatment .

But I would want my retirement country to have a certain healthcare standard so maybe not the others...

First rank: WHO - Health System Performance
Second rank: Lancet 2018 - Healthcare Access and Quality Index
Both studies looked at 190+ countries.
Singapore: rank 6 / 22
Portugal rank 12 /32
Costa rica: rank 36 /62
Thailand: rank 47 / 76
Malaysia: rank 49 / 84
Mexico: rank 61 / 91
Panama: rank 95 / 82
Ecuador: rank 111 / 101

These indexes are averages and mean nothing for individuals. In fact you if you have the money you have better chances of getting top class healthcare in low cost country than the waiting period in a 1st world country.

limster 08-03-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revhappy (Post 119580174)
These indexes are averages and mean nothing for individuals. In fact you if you have the money you have better chances of getting top class healthcare in low cost country than the waiting period in a 1st world country.

then how to explain so many 'elite' including political leaders and their relatives from developing countries coming to SG for medical treatment? =:p

revhappy 08-03-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limster (Post 119580236)
then how to explain so many 'elite' including political leaders and their relatives from developing countries coming to SG for medical treatment? =:p

They have lots of money, so why not. Also for the sake of privacy, if these people go to their country's hospital, they will be swarmed by media and people.

But, for example, if a surgery that costs like 100k in SG, in India you you can get it done for 20k and you get top class quality healthcare. But for poor people in India cannot afford the top class hospitals, so the score takes a hit.

limster 08-03-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revhappy (Post 119580345)

But, for example, if a surgery that costs like 100k in SG, in India you you can get it done for 20k and you get top class quality healthcare. But for poor people in India cannot afford the top class hospitals, so the score takes a hit.

I've been stuck in traffic jam in India before. even if i retire there, i can't afford helicopter to bring me to hospital :)

revhappy 08-03-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limster (Post 119581120)
I've been stuck in traffic jam in India before. even if i retire there, i can't afford helicopter to bring me to hospital :)

Yeah, traffic is a problem. Stay close to a big hospital. I personally prefer a smaller tier 2 town during retirement, low traffic and pollution and low cost of living.

limster 08-03-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revhappy (Post 119581246)
Yeah, traffic is a problem. Stay close to a big hospital. I personally prefer a smaller tier 2 town during retirement, low traffic and pollution and low cost of living.

yes i remember them publishing the pollution numbers when I was there. Singapore close to 100 people scared. Over there it was like triple digit every day.

any recommendation of a tier 2 town with world class hospitals? or are they all in tier 1 towns?

revhappy 08-03-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limster (Post 119581466)
yes i remember them publishing the pollution numbers when I was there. Singapore close to 100 people scared. Over there it was like triple digit every day.

any recommendation of a tier 2 town with world class hospitals? or are they all in tier 1 towns?

There is a place called Mangalore in the south western coast. Manipal hospital is originally from this place. Temasek also has a stake in it.

https://mangalore.manipalhospitals.com/

https://www.straitstimes.com/busines...tis-healthcare

I am originally from Mangalore area, although I havent stayed there. My parents live in Bangalore, and I have lived in Bangalore for most part. My wife's relatives and parents are all in Mangalore. So that is a target area for me for retirement.