HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* BBCWatcher club

Like Tree137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #1051

Hi BBCW,

My portfolio is now 50-20-30 IWDA-ES3-SSB. IWDA I try to DCA every month. ES3 I accumulate to buy every half year as SCB have $10 min charge. Does this make sense? May I ask if there's a good template of spreadsheet I can/should use to track my investments? I now try key in every detail but not too sure what are the impt things as I DCA in.

Thanks a lot!
Investnewbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #1052
Supremacy Member

My portfolio is now 50-20-30 IWDA-ES3-SSB. IWDA I try to DCA every month. ES3 I accumulate to buy every half year as SCB have $10 min charge. Does this make sense?
It can make sense, sure. You're a little bond heavy (especially when consider CPF inflows) if you're in your accumulation years -- under age 55, for example.

A simple list of assets and account numbers is important for survivors, and keep monthly/annual account statements. Beyond that, don't worry about it.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #1053
Master Member

Hi BBC,

LON: VUSD is your Vanguard version of S&P500. What is the difference between VUSD vs CSPX?

You wrote: IWDA (or VWRD) , is there a difference between these 2?

Yup, I plan to over weigh on US stocks, so want to go with IWDA and S&P combo.
power789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:33 PM   #1054

Overweight when the US is at the longest bull run ever ? Caution

Hi BBC,

LON: VUSD is your Vanguard version of S&P500. What is the difference between VUSD vs CSPX?

You wrote: IWDA (or VWRD) , is there a difference between these 2?

Yup, I plan to over weigh on US stocks, so want to go with IWDA and S&P combo.
MrHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #1055
Supremacy Member

Planning to retire soon? Concerned about retirement finances? You might want to consider retiring outside Singapore. International Living suggests the following retirement countries (their “top 10” in this order): Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand, and Spain.

I’d caution that countries and immigration policies can change quickly, so you’ll probably want to maintain a basic “escape hatch” that allows moving back to the country where you have an unrestricted right of abode. However, even if you end up spending 10 or 20 years elsewhere then return, you can often stretch your retirement dollars further.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #1056
Supremacy Member

Planning to retire soon? Concerned about retirement finances? You might want to consider retiring outside Singapore. International Living suggests the following retirement countries (their “top 10” in this order): Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand, and Spain.

I’d caution that countries and immigration policies can change quickly, so you’ll probably want to maintain a basic “escape hatch” that allows moving back to the country where you have an unrestricted right of abode. However, even if you end up spending 10 or 20 years elsewhere then return, you can often stretch your retirement dollars further.
such surveys probably score the cost of healthcare rather than the quality of healthcare. I would not be surprised if the 'elite' of those countries go to Singapore or other developed countries for their healthcare
limster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #1057
Supremacy Member

such surveys probably score the cost of healthcare rather than the quality of healthcare.
No, not usually. You can check the original survey for details on their methodologies, but generally they include healthcare quality as a scoring factor. If they didn't then you'd probably see some extremely low cost of living countries in Africa and Asia appear on their list, but that's not what happened.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #1058
Supremacy Member

No, not usually. You can check the original survey for details on their methodologies, but generally they include healthcare quality as a scoring factor. If they didn't then you'd probably see some extremely low cost of living countries in Africa and Asia appear on their list, but that's not what happened.

I think Portugal , Costa Rica , Thailand are definitely candidates for retirement. Malaysia, only because you can go back to Singapore.... like the guy who got shot in Malaysia and drove into Singapore with gunshot wound for treatment .

But I would want my retirement country to have a certain healthcare standard so maybe not the others...

First rank: WHO - Health System Performance
Second rank: Lancet 2018 - Healthcare Access and Quality Index
Both studies looked at 190+ countries.
Singapore: rank 6 / 22
Portugal rank 12 /32
Costa rica: rank 36 /62
Thailand: rank 47 / 76
Malaysia: rank 49 / 84
Mexico: rank 61 / 91
Panama: rank 95 / 82
Ecuador: rank 111 / 101
Old 08-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #1059
Supremacy Member

I think Portugal , Costa Rica , Thailand are definitely candidates for retirement. Malaysia, only because you can go back to Singapore.... like the guy who got shot in Malaysia and drove into Singapore with gunshot wound for treatment .

But I would want my retirement country to have a certain healthcare standard so maybe not the others...

First rank: WHO - Health System Performance
Second rank: Lancet 2018 - Healthcare Access and Quality Index
Both studies looked at 190+ countries.
Singapore: rank 6 / 22
Portugal rank 12 /32
Costa rica: rank 36 /62
Thailand: rank 47 / 76
Malaysia: rank 49 / 84
Mexico: rank 61 / 91
Panama: rank 95 / 82
Ecuador: rank 111 / 101
These indexes are averages and mean nothing for individuals. In fact you if you have the money you have better chances of getting top class healthcare in low cost country than the waiting period in a 1st world country.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #1060
Supremacy Member

These indexes are averages and mean nothing for individuals. In fact you if you have the money you have better chances of getting top class healthcare in low cost country than the waiting period in a 1st world country.
then how to explain so many 'elite' including political leaders and their relatives from developing countries coming to SG for medical treatment?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #1061
Supremacy Member

then how to explain so many 'elite' including political leaders and their relatives from developing countries coming to SG for medical treatment?
They have lots of money, so why not. Also for the sake of privacy, if these people go to their country's hospital, they will be swarmed by media and people.

But, for example, if a surgery that costs like 100k in SG, in India you you can get it done for 20k and you get top class quality healthcare. But for poor people in India cannot afford the top class hospitals, so the score takes a hit.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #1062
Supremacy Member

But, for example, if a surgery that costs like 100k in SG, in India you you can get it done for 20k and you get top class quality healthcare. But for poor people in India cannot afford the top class hospitals, so the score takes a hit.
I've been stuck in traffic jam in India before. even if i retire there, i can't afford helicopter to bring me to hospital
Old 08-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #1063
Supremacy Member

I've been stuck in traffic jam in India before. even if i retire there, i can't afford helicopter to bring me to hospital
Yeah, traffic is a problem. Stay close to a big hospital. I personally prefer a smaller tier 2 town during retirement, low traffic and pollution and low cost of living.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #1064
Supremacy Member

Yeah, traffic is a problem. Stay close to a big hospital. I personally prefer a smaller tier 2 town during retirement, low traffic and pollution and low cost of living.
yes i remember them publishing the pollution numbers when I was there. Singapore close to 100 people scared. Over there it was like triple digit every day.

any recommendation of a tier 2 town with world class hospitals? or are they all in tier 1 towns?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #1065
Supremacy Member

yes i remember them publishing the pollution numbers when I was there. Singapore close to 100 people scared. Over there it was like triple digit every day.

any recommendation of a tier 2 town with world class hospitals? or are they all in tier 1 towns?
There is a place called Mangalore in the south western coast. Manipal hospital is originally from this place. Temasek also has a stake in it.

https://mangalore.manipalhospitals.com/

https://www.straitstimes.com/busines...tis-healthcare

I am originally from Mangalore area, although I havent stayed there. My parents live in Bangalore, and I have lived in Bangalore for most part. My wife's relatives and parents are all in Mangalore. So that is a target area for me for retirement.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.