*Official* Shiny Things club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanonited

Master Member
Reaction score
I dunno thats why I am vested in Frasers and Perennial retail bonds.

Of course if Perennial defaults because of China, then you get the answer why you should buy ETF instead of individual bonds =:p

Thanks limster and aspho!! Anyone considered ssb instead of the etf instead?

Reaction score
well, if the bond maturity is 3-5 years, sembcorp will recover in 3-5 years too.

Anyway, the idea is just Temasek subsidiary to replace bond to minimize chance of default. If Sembcorp spark the discussion, then let's make it Singtel or SPH.

Top investment grade with good dividend payout?Why not?

Problem is equity are by nature, priced in with all future earnings. That makes makes a different between the internal rate of return of a stock vs of a bond.

You can't just compare the dividend yield against a bond as bond's coupon are fix, dividends are subject to company's earnings.

The greatest different is a bond's capital loss will revert back to par value over time(time being the quantifiable factor which makes sense for individual's portfolio base on liability matching) whereas an investment capital that are placed in equity are subjected to much more factors and therefore unable to access the time-frame.

stevencong

Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies.

Another thing i want to point out is i'm assume lots of you had a good amount in saving/investment. So the purpose is more on capital preservation.

For 20s and 30s young investor, balance in taking "riskier" temasek backed stock and other stocks using "110-age seems" like a good way to growth?

Last edited:

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway, the idea is just Temasek subsidiary to replace bond to minimize chance of default. If Sembcorp spark the discussion, then let's make it Singtel or SPH.

Top investment grade with good dividend payout?Why not? (SPH etc)

Another thing i want to point out is i'm assume lots of you had a good amount in saving/investment. So the purpose is more on capital preservation.

For 20s and 30s young investor, balance in taking "riskier" temasek backed stock and other stocks using "110-age seems" like a good way to growth?

Hang on. I think you're looking for us to say "yes you're right, buying Temasek-linked stocks is just as good as buying bonds, your idea is a good one". But that's wrong.

The problem is simply that stocks, no matter what stock they are, are riskier than bonds. When you're in your twenties or thirties, your portfolio's mostly in stocks already; buying more stocks is going to make your portfolio too risky.

With bonds, there's a guarantee (unless the company goes completely bankrupt) that the price will go back to $100. A stock can go down and stay down, and that's why you a) have some bonds, and b) buy a wide portfolio of stocks, like what you get from an ETF.

And a stock where Temasek is the primary owner is just as risky as any other stock - its price can go down and stay down, like Sembcorp's price has. We gave you an example of a Temasek-backed stock that's been a terrible investment, and you said "ok maybe not that stock, but other stocks!". But Temasek's had a lot of iffy investments: Stanchart, Merrill Lynch, Shin Corp, Olam, ... if you forget the idea that a Temasek investment is somehow a seal of approval, you'll understand why we're saying what we're saying.

well, if the bond maturity is 3-5 years, sembcorp will recover in 3-5 years too.

Someone remind me in five years to come back and have a look at this prediction.

Can anyone share why I would buy the bond etf on sgx vs buying any of the bonds issued by say venting/capitaland since the yield is way higher.

Couple of reasons. Firstly, the higher yield comes with a higher risk of default - and if they default, you're going to lose a big chunk of your money. That's the risk you take in return for the higher yield. Secondly, buying the A35 bond ETF gives you diversification across a few different names, so if one company does default, it's going to be less painful.

Thanks limster and aspho!! Anyone considered ssb instead of the etf instead?
This is a fair question. We tossed this around on this thread a bit; the end result was that the SSB is good (it's got a couple of valuable embedded options that are worth money if interest rates go up), but A35 is slightly better - the yield is a tad higher for slightly less interest-rate risk. And there's no restriction on how much A35 you can buy.

Is there a scenario that as a Singaporean buying US stocks which would result in a double whammy, that is USD and US stocks both dropping?
The only one I can think of is Asia growth faster than US growth, but even so, ain't we cushioned by being both a US and a SG investor?

Yeah, that'd be the scenario I'd think of as well - Asia becomes trendy for whatever reason, money floods from DM into EM, EM currencies and stocks simultaneously go bid; sort of the mid-90s situation before everything went pear-shaped in '97-'98.

And yep, if that happened, your Singapore investments would perform very nicely.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yes, i can think of one: When US Govt defaults. but the chances are slime.

Yeah, that'd be the scenario I'd think of as well - Asia becomes trendy for whatever reason, money floods from DM into EM, EM currencies and stocks simultaneously go bid; sort of the mid-90s situation before everything went pear-shaped in '97-'98.

And yep, if that happened, your Singapore investments would perform very nicely.

Thank for the confirmation guys. Looks like I need to tweak a little more towards US. I prefer US counters due to the amount of information available. Not to mention it's own set of behaviour complements Singapore's investor.
Have a good 2016.

Last edited:

w1rbelw1nd

Master Member
Reaction score

why must give special attention to temasek related stocks ? How are they any different from usual stocks?

Since my answer (and i suspect thats the consensus of others here to) is a resounding "No" to both questions, I think your question is pretty irrelevant.

I would recommend you to just invest in equity ETFs anyway, if you are wondering.

amognoix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We wish to seek opinions/constructive suggestions from all forum members on the following:
Any ways to legally lower taxes in Australia? ( Mortgage offset accounts, superannuation, negative gearing etc)
Is taking a housing loan ( AUD loan for Aust property etc ) better than taking a margin loan for investment?
Which countries for investment property is better ( SG, Australia or New Zealand )? ( Personally, we are inclined to NZ but we need a roof over our heads since we will be working in Australia )

Last edited:

AffordFreedom

Reaction score
Hi,
Can I clarify the reasons for putting some percentage of stocks into bonds is because of:
1. As an asset class, bonds are low/negative correlated to stocks
2. The interest payment recurs even during bad times in contrast to dividends.

So as long as I can find some counters that fits the above, they can be brought?

Tornesoul

Master Member
Reaction score
This is a fair question. We tossed this around on this thread a bit; the end result was that the SSB is good (it's got a couple of valuable embedded options that are worth money if interest rates go up), but A35 is slightly better - the yield is a tad higher for slightly less interest-rate risk. And there's no restriction on how much A35 you can buy.

Hey Shiny, I believe you previously recommended some high yield bond etfs, are they still relevant in a portfolio with es3, iwda, eimi, a35?

cant remember what they were

small-onion

Reaction score
When it comes to re-balancing: If im heavy on stocks and need more bonds. Can I focus my buys on bonds instead to increase the %?

Its fine if i don't sell some stocks right?

I feel i know the answer is Yes but ... just wanted to see if anyone has more to say.

anschluss2001

Reaction score
Hi shiny,

If i think that the sti and hsi are going down, which is the best way to position myself?
Have been using sti put warrants so far, but what do u think about shorting sti and hsi futures?
Never really understood how to short on interactive brokers, do you just sell and pay them a borrowing cost?

Thanks!

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi. Need some sound advises here.

Let's say if I have a sum of money (about 100K) and I want to invest it for short term (about 3-5 years) to beat the inflation and, if possible, achieve some gains from the invested sum and also with principals protected.

I think I'm asking the impossible here with principals protected but what would the "low-risk" options available to me?

If not possible with principals protected then what about the short term "low-risk" options without principals protected? Do shiny things recommended "110 formula" applies for short-term 5 years investment, especially when we are expecting a bear market?

So far, the banks has been recommending me unit trusts and structured deposits which is often recommended to stay away from. :(

Last edited:

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score

Let's say if I have a sum of money (about 100K) and I want to invest it for short term (about 3-5 years) to beat the inflation and, if possible, achieve some gains from the invested sum and also with principals protected.

I think I'm asking the impossible here but what would the "low-risk" options available to me?

So far, the banks has been recommending me unit trusts and structured deposits which is often recommended to stay away from. :(

If you only have 5 years, put it in some fixed deposit, or one of those high interest savings account like BOC smartsaver

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
If you only have 5 years, put it in some fixed deposit, or one of those high interest savings account like BOC smartsaver

The only thing I'm worried about is the reliability of China banks but BOC smartsaver will requires me to do card spending, etc. in order to get the high interest rate.

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

I think I'm asking the impossible here but what would the "low-risk" options available to me?

Invest it? Principals protected = not taking risk.
If you want principals protected, unit trust/SD/ILP etc all doesn't work in a 3-5 year term and will likely result in losses.

What you need to do is to put in banks like OCBC360 if you can hit the criterias or FD or put in bonds. If I were you, I would buy a few bonds + keep in high interest savings bank.

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'm worried about is the reliability of China banks.

We have SDIC.

In the event a Deposit Insurance Scheme member bank or finance company fails, all of your eligible accounts with that member are aggregated and insured up to S$50,000. Trust and client accounts held by non-bank depositors are insured up to $50,000 per account.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
When it comes to re-balancing: If im heavy on stocks and need more bonds. Can I focus my buys on bonds instead to increase the %?

Its fine if i don't sell some stocks right?

I feel i know the answer is Yes but ... just wanted to see if anyone has more to say.

The answer is Yes. The act of buying/selling incurs fees, not recommended, besides the fact that you are suppose to hold them long term.

Genosis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think I'm asking the impossible here with principals protected but what would the "low-risk" options available to me?

If not possible with principals protected then what about the short term "low-risk" options without principals protected? Do shiny things recommended "110 formula" applies for short-term 5 years investment, especially when we are expecting a bear market?

Can consider SSB...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.