HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* Shiny Things club - Part 2

Like Tree726Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #151

I want to dump a lump sum (about 25-30k) into the recommended allocations according to my age (i.e. IWDA, ES3/G3B, A35), then start my monthly allocation of about $800.
Hi, I'm new to investing as well and my question is similar to Falcondiaz's ...

I have a rather large sum of spare cash (6 figures) and I'm thinking of investing in STI ETF (~S$1k pm via OCBC BCIP) and VWRD/IWDA (~US$1k per month via IB).
Should I put in a lump sum first then DCA, or just DCA?
Is IB good for US$1k pm investment consider the monthly charges?

Thanks. I am still reading the ST and IB threads here ... very informative
artemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #152
Master Member

I have a rather large sum of spare cash (6 figures) and I'm thinking of investing in STI ETF (~S$1k pm via OCBC BCIP) and VWRD/IWDA (~US$1k per month via IB).

Split and spread the lump-sum appropriately, like divide by 6 and invest every month. By the end of 6 months you are done and then start DCA. If you don't need this money for next 10, 20,30 years then it really doesn't matter how you split it and over what period you invest it, but the earlier the better. For your portfolio size IB is best for international. For local see which is the cheapest.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
Shiny Things likes this.
revhappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #153
Master Member

A35 prices been dropping , may i know if this something normal or what? thanks!
It is normal. When rates increase there is an adjustment and bond prices fall and when rates fall, bond prices rise. But you get paid out dividend every year and as long as the price doesnt fall more than the the dividend paid out, you are still good.

From this link, the yeild has improved substantially compared to 10 years ago, so at this point the bond prices are good value compared to 10 years ago.

https://www.dividends.sg/view/A35

So just keep collecting the dividends, that is what bonds are for.
Shiny Things and rrr2015 like this.
revhappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #154

I'm near to retirement....should i put my spare cash into Reits to earn regular dividends to satisfy part of my daily expenses needs? I hear Reits pay higher dividends than SSBs / A35 ? Thanks for advice!
KeytoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #155
Supremacy Member

Noob question abt buying stock, I am half way through reading the shiny thing book.

Assuming I spend $300 to buy ES3 one month, does it mean it is only a one time payment and I own the ETF forever unless I sell?
Yep.

You spend $300 on shares of ES3, you get (about) 80 shares of ES3, and those are yours forever.

A35 prices been dropping , may i know if this something normal or what? thanks!
Revhappy's got it; this is totally normal. Bonds go up and down in price as well (though they tend to go up and down a lot less than stocks—they're more stable). As the price of a bond (or a bond ETF) goes down, the interest rate goes up; so what you lose on the price, you tend to make back on the yield.

As was suggested upthread, you obviously wouldn't want to dribble your lump sum in at $1k a month; it'd be ten years or more before you were fully invested, and in the meantime all that cash is just sitting in your account doing nothing.

A good compromise is to split it into a few parts - four to six, for a lump sum that size - and invest one part each month until you're fully invested. Then you can go to your $1k-a-month regular investment.

If you do this, it has benefits whether the market goes up or down. If you start investing your lump sum and the market goes up, then at least you've bought some, and you've participated in the move up; if you start investing and it goes down, then you can buy more at a lower price.
rrr2015 likes this.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 01:15 AM   #156

Thanks Shiny & Revhappy,
because the price drop from 1.172 (end Dec 2017) to current 1.115 which it about 4.8% drop and the yield definitely not in that figure, so trying to understand why?

Revhappy's got it; this is totally normal. Bonds go up and down in price as well (though they tend to go up and down a lot less than stocks—they're more stable). As the price of a bond (or a bond ETF) goes down, the interest rate goes up; so what you lose on the price, you tend to make back on the yield.
crystalnox likes this.
rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #157
Supremacy Member

For those who are investing a small amount in IWDA every month (~500 usd), would you recommend saving the amount for a few months and then investing a lump sum? Say, once every quarter? Otherwise, the 2% fees (min $10) sounds very high for SCB

Mmm… I don’t think piling it all into IWDA is a great idea. If you have a lump sum from redeeming your G3B, you’ll want to put some of it into A35 (you can buy it through Stanchart or another broker as well as through POSB Invest-Saver), otherwise you’re going to be super tilted toward equities.

As people have mentioned above, they’re different things. IWDA owns global developed-market stocks; EIMI owns emerging-market stocks. You don’t need to worry about owning EM stocks until your portfolio gets bigger—six figures is my usual threshold for this stuff—because they’ll only be a small amount of your portfolio, and you don’t want to run up transaction fees buying tiny 3-5% clips of these stocks.
Thanks ST for the advice. Since my portfolio is small at the moment, I will invest in A35 via DCA because the 20% allocation will be quite easily met in a few months. Helps with a 3% cashback from POSB too

Thanks for the clarification re. EIMI. Will go with IWDA for now, till my portfolio is bigger. I'm just unsure if I should wait for a 'good' time to put the lump sum into IWDA. My monthly investment for IWDA isn't too large, so to save on fees I think I'll only be able to buy IWDA every quarter or bi-annually.

Last edited by ehsevol; 28-04-2018 at 01:55 AM..
ehsevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #158
Supremacy Member

I'm near to retirement....should i put my spare cash into Reits to earn regular dividends to satisfy part of my daily expenses needs? I hear Reits pay higher dividends than SSBs / A35 ? Thanks for advice!
REITs also have variability in share price, and they have greater risk than government bonds and bond funds. REIT dividends are not anywhere near government guaranteed.

So it depends what you want and what the rest of your portfolio looks like, really. But if you want government guaranteed interest (or coupons) and a government guaranteed principal, then Singapore Savings Bonds (and Singapore Government Securities purchased at initial issue and held to maturity) fit that profile.
Shiny Things and KeytoFreedom like this.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #159

Hi, I have a hypothetical question on order types.
It will really help in my understanding ...

Suppose stock X have a bid-ask of 1.0 and 1.2, and I want to buy at 1.1 preferably. But in the unfortunate event of upwards spiralling price, I want to buy between 1.3 and 1.4, not any higher.

So I should
1) Make a LMT buy order of X at 1.1
2) Make another STP LMT buy order of X at 1.3 (stop price) and 1.4 (limit price)?
3) Combine 1) and 2) with One-Cancels-the-Other?

Is there any simpler way of doing the above, with 1 buy order perhaps?

Not sure if it makes sense lol sorry ... thanks!
Old 28-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #160
Supremacy Member

Thanks Shiny & Revhappy,
because the price drop from 1.172 (end Dec 2017) to current 1.115 which it about 4.8% drop and the yield definitely not in that figure, so trying to understand why?
Bond prices have a tendency to move in the opposite direction of interest rates.
Old 28-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #161
Master Member

It's almost may now, but A35 price is still lower than what I bought at last may
Purplestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #162
Master Member

Thanks Shiny & Revhappy,
The lesson learnt is to stick your money in a safe bank account for a guaranteed 3%.
Purplestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #163
Master Member

It's almost may now, but A35 price is still lower than what I bought at last may
eh... ultimately this is made up of bonds and the returns that bonds make is mainly off coupons, not capital gains...

Hope no one is expecting a significant long term ETF price increase for any bond ETF, (at least those that distribute all coupons out). That is just expecting the impossible
Old 28-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #164

Suppose stock X have a bid-ask of 1.0 and 1.2, and I want to buy at 1.1 preferably. But in the unfortunate event of upwards spiralling price, I want to buy between 1.3 and 1.4, not any higher.

So I should
2) Make another STP LMT buy order of X at 1.3 (stop price) and 1.4 (limit price)?
Sigh ... doesn't seem to work ... I applied the above to EIMI on IB TWS Demo. The buy got through immediately at the ask price lol ...
Old 28-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #165
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, I have a hypothetical question on order types.
It will really help in my understanding ...

So I should

Is there any simpler way of doing the above, with 1 buy order perhaps?

Not sure if it makes sense lol sorry ... thanks!
Try keeping it simple dude. It's investing. Not trading
highsulphur is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.