HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* Shiny Things club - Part 2

Like Tree1385Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #3181
Supremacy Member

Can anyone advise if mbh is available via invest saver? I could only find abf bond fund in the drop down menu.
boringLife- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #3182
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can anyone advise if mbh is available via invest saver? I could only find abf bond fund in the drop down menu.
not available
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #3183
Supremacy Member

Can anyone advise if mbh is available via invest saver?
As havetheveryfun indicated, not at the present time, but MBH is available through Maybank Kim Eng's Monthly Investment Plan.
manlymanly likes this.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #3184

I looked at the Djia in google finance, the current chart looks like mid 1999, index was flat, fat and violatile for 2 years then it crashed 30%, it took almost 7 years for this flat trend to grow again. Is this what the funds managers were saying about low CAGR starting next year.
peipei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #3185

DCA on IBKR for IWDA?

I plowed through the forums and searched but couldnt find a method to dollar-cost average on IBKR for IWDA.

Does anyone have a good workaround or suggestion?

TIA
manlymanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #3186
Supremacy Member

I plowed through the forums and searched but couldnt find a method to dollar-cost average on IBKR for IWDA.

Does anyone have a good workaround or suggestion?
You simply deposit a particular Singapore dollar figure into your Interactive Brokers account every month, convert that currency to U.S. dollars, then buy IWDA (rounded to the nearest whole share, and based on the available U.S. dollars you have -- which might include a few stray U.S. dollars from the previous month -- plus commission).

That's it. Pretty simple.
Shiny Things and manlymanly like this.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #3187

You simply deposit a particular Singapore dollar figure into your Interactive Brokers account every month, convert that currency to U.S. dollars, then buy IWDA (rounded to the nearest whole share, and based on the available U.S. dollars you have -- which might include a few stray U.S. dollars from the previous month -- plus commission).

That's it. Pretty simple.
my problem is I watch the numbers jump for 5 mins, then try to time the purchase to save 5 cents, and end up logging a purchase for AAPL instead. hah was hoping there's a way to take the psychology out of it but i guess there's nothing yet.

thanks thanks
manlymanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #3188
Supremacy Member

my problem is I watch the numbers jump for 5 mins, then try to time the purchase to save 5 cents, and end up logging a purchase for AAPL instead. hah was hoping there's a way to take the psychology out of it but i guess there's nothing yet.

thanks thanks
1) Fix a day, say 15 of every month.
2) Deposit $X into your Interactive Brokers
3) Execute a trade for IWDA.
4) Repeat Step 1-3 for the next Y years.
Shiny Things and manlymanly like this.
JuniorLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:11 AM   #3189
Supremacy Member

Food for thought guys,

Index fund getting too big and hence losing it's effectiveness?
Iím going to defer to BBCW, who actually read the article. John Bogleís point is not about ďindex funds losing their effectivenessĒ or anything like that. The point is that a lot of voting power is being concentrated in a few investment funds that donít tend to be activist investors.

And if thatís the price we have to pay for easy diversified investing, I think thatís a fine tradeoff to make. There are ways to make Vanguard and iShares and State Street more engaged in corporate governance.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #3190
Supremacy Member

Amazing!, so being a non US citizen, living in singapore below the age of 70/50 and in need of the money in my CPF SA account, what do i need to do? Care to share how many loops is needed?
No “loops” at all. You just wait, which is very easy to do because it involves doing nothing. Then CPF (without your even asking) sends you a “Happy 55th Birthday!” card a few weeks before your 55th birthday, and you still do nothing (usually) or do something, if you wish.

If every unit of your wealth must be instantly liquid, you will assuredly be poorer, much poorer. You also should never have children, because (surprise!) they take at least a couple decades to grow and to mature. Some never do.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #3191

Hi guys

any idea how much exchange loss will i be getting if i am using SCB (priority banking) instead of interactive brokers to invest about $1,800 monthly into IWDA?
I am wondering whether it is worth the effort to change to IB instead, and whether IB allows joint a/c with my spouse? Much appreciates the advice here, thanks
hin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #3192
Supremacy Member

thanks thanks
why are you paying for live data for US markets if you are just doing regular DCA of IWDA? Live data with 30sec candlesticks will definitely tempt you into day trading....

if you don't have live US data, then you won't be tempted to watching "numbers jump for 5 minutes" because all those prices are delayed at least 15min...
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #3193
Supremacy Member

Iím going to defer to BBCW, who actually read the article. John Bogleís point is not about ďindex funds losing their effectivenessĒ or anything like that. The point is that a lot of voting power is being concentrated in a few investment funds that donít tend to be activist investors.

And if thatís the price we have to pay for easy diversified investing, I think thatís a fine tradeoff to make. There are ways to make Vanguard and iShares and State Street more engaged in corporate governance.
TBH, how many retail investors bother to attend AGMs or work out those resolutions and issues are about? Most retailers vote alongside the management anyway.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #3194
Supremacy Member

TBH, how many retail investors bother to attend AGMs or work out those resolutions and issues are about?
Companies publicly listed in U.S. markets provide proxy voting, which for the past few years you've been able to do very easily online. There's absolutely no requirement to attend general meetings to vote your shares. Moreover, any shareholder can propose an issue to be voted on -- even a shareholder who has one share. There are certain limits to putting an issue to vote but not many.

Most retailers vote alongside the management anyway.
Yes, but there have been some big exceptions, and they may be getting more frequent.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #3195
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am interested to know how these big funds are pushed to be in corporate governance. Compliance?

Test Balloon leads to political attack
Sai777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.