HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* Shiny Things club - Part 2

Like Tree1375Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #3196
Master Member

Goodnight all. Looks like the once in 10 years crash is really happening like clockwork. Who says you can't time the market?
Purplestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #3197

Goodnight all. Looks like the once in 10 years crash is really happening like clockwork. Who says you can't time the market?
You got it right! I hope Iwda can hold 45 until Mar 1 where the trade talks settle, if not will go back to 40, it is worst drop in it's history.
Iwda is overweight on banks and financials, this sector has been struggling since their dirty work caused the Gfc. Why did Iwda managers allocate so much to financials?

Is there a broad based index that is not capital weighted like Iwda? Equal weights is better?
peipei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #3198
Supremacy Member

Hi guys

any idea how much exchange loss will i be getting if i am using SCB (priority banking) instead of interactive brokers to invest about $1,800 monthly into IWDA?
I am wondering whether it is worth the effort to change to IB instead, and whether IB allows joint a/c with my spouse? Much appreciates the advice here, thanks
1) Stanchart's FX cost is about 0.5% on the way in and 0.5% on the way out, so call it $10-ish a month. Basically you'd save $20 or so a month on brokerage and FX costs.
2) Change to IB. Yes, it allows joint accounts.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #3199

Hi

Great advice in this forum. Have bought some IWDA STTF over a few months now.

Have a few queries for the gurus:

When buying IWDA which holds UK shares which give dividend, is that taxed 20% before giving back to iwda to reinvest?

Along same lines, any dividend reinvesting low fees equivalent for vuke? Even if it does exist, does it mean it's also subject to same with holding tax before it's reinvested?

Have plans to keep some sterling to use for future holiday or maybe children education in future.

Thanks
kongming0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #3200
Supremacy Member

You got it right! I hope Iwda can hold 45 until Mar 1 where the trade talks settle, if not will go back to 40, it is worst drop in it's history.
Iwda is overweight on banks and financials, this sector has been struggling since their dirty work caused the Gfc. Why did Iwda managers allocate so much to financials?

Is there a broad based index that is not capital weighted like Iwda? Equal weights is better?
You should just start a fund and be a fund manager. That way, you can starting making your +50700% p.a returns and get people to invest in your fund.
JuniorLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #3201

You should just start a fund and be a fund manager. That way, you can starting making your +50700% p.a returns and get people to invest in your fund.

Would be funny seeing these people getting heart attacks reading his posts in here after investing in his fund
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #3202

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there are any recommended ETFs for s&p 500 shariah index? And whether it's possible to purchase them via IB?
tankahkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #3203

1) Stanchart's FX cost is about 0.5% on the way in and 0.5% on the way out, so call it $10-ish a month. Basically you'd save $20 or so a month on brokerage and FX costs.
2) Change to IB. Yes, it allows joint accounts.
Hi so if i am just starting out and buying about 5/6k of iwda every 3/4 months is it better to use stanchart even if the FX cost is worse due to the min fee every month for ibkr?
ularlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #3204
Supremacy Member

Does anyone know if there are any recommended ETFs for s&p 500 shariah index? And whether it's possible to purchase them via IB?
As a direct answer, and assuming you are a non-U.S. person, take a look at the iShares MSCI USA Islamic ETF (ticker symbol ISUS on the London Stock Exchange). ISUS tracks a different index (of 144 U.S. large capitalization stocks rather than the S&P 500 Shariah Index's 240), and I have serious concerns about the fund size and its limited trading volume, but it's probably the best all around, closest match to what you specifically request.

But I don't think you should overweight U.S. listed stocks unless you're quite sure that's what you want to do, and with some good reason(s). Another fund, ISWD, is a global stock index fund with a shariah filter applied. I have the same basic concerns, but at least it's a more diversified fund holding 509 stocks listed/traded around the investable world.

To repeat, I am assuming you are solely tax resident in Singapore and not a U.S. person.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #3205

Hi! I am signing up for an FSMone personal account, and was wondering if anyone has a referral code?
rararara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #3206

Hi so if i am just starting out and buying about 5/6k of iwda every 3/4 months is it better to use stanchart even if the FX cost is worse due to the min fee every month for ibkr?
Do your own calculations lo. Give yourself a timeline, say 2 years. Add up the fees to be incurred for both SCB and IBKR. Then make a decision.
feralslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #3207
Supremacy Member

It depends on your allocations of es3 n mbh vs iwda. There may be advantage in reaching pb for scb first to get lower n no min comm. Some also find the usd high account debit card saves them money for usd transactions
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #3208

If you are buying every month, it does not matter how much you buy, IBKR will *ALWAYS* be cheaper better than SCB.
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #3209

Do your own calculations lo. Give yourself a timeline, say 2 years. Add up the fees to be incurred for both SCB and IBKR. Then make a decision.
It depends on your allocations of es3 n mbh vs iwda. There may be advantage in reaching pb for scb first to get lower n no min comm. Some also find the usd high account debit card saves them money for usd transactions
If you are buying every month, it does not matter how much you buy, IBKR will *ALWAYS* be cheaper better than SCB.
Thanks guys, guess i'll just use IBKR,i've calculated and the costs ain't much different, and it'll also be an incentive to hit 100k faster!
ularlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #3210

SRS and US Person

Hi guys is that a good idea to have a SRS account, and use it to invest in stocks? It seems that this has been heavily promoted by CPF and local banks recently.

Another dumb question - has been seeing this US Person a lot in this thread. So if a Singaporean happens to work at US, s/he will be considered as US tax residents = US Persons. Which means that s/he only allowed/able to invest in US listed ETF, and not a chance for LSE ETF like IWDA or VUSD?

Thanks !
Wonderer haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.