HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* Shiny Things club - Part 2

Like Tree726Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #31
Master Member

That's because I only have 2K SGD to invest every month. I can do something like 1K to IWDA and 1K to ES3 every month, but that would mean incurring quite a hefty amount of fees on both platforms, which I feel I should avoid.
Fair enough. IWDA in IB will cost you around 1.3% in fees based on U$10 on your S$1000 investment a month.

For me, I chose IWDA as the USD10 fee per month is lower compared to the total from SCB's commission + spread.
blue_line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #32

Hi guys.

My friend recommended me the Shiny Things Book and I really learned alot of it. So first I got things proper by doing my own health insurance to cover my arse (my coverage that my parents bought for me actually ENDED holy ****!) Then I opened a invest saver to get ES3.

So all that's done, I also opened a SCB account and purchased ES3 as well. On the day of opening my account, the lady advised me to open US and SG markets only, so I took her advice. She said when I'm more used to the system then come and open more (ok no issue).

However, now I want to get some overseas ETF (Vanguard or IWDA). Am still reading up, but I can only find IWDA:LSE on SCB... can't seem to find Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT).

May I know which exchange is VT on? I only see it on ASE which I assume is wrong
meltbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #33

Forget about VT. What you are really looking for is VWRD or IWDA on the LSE which you need to enable access for. Buying these ETFs on the LSE reduces your withholding tax liability by half, as compared to buying their USA-domiciled counterparts.

For the LSE ETFs, pick VWRD for dividends distributing or IWDA for dividends reinvesting. Finally, for IWDA, one possible next step to consider once you are more comfortable and confident is to add a small emerging markets component to your portfolio (see EIMI). For VWRD, it already has a small emerging markets coverage.

Hi guys.

My friend recommended me the Shiny Things Book and I really learned alot of it. So first I got things proper by doing my own health insurance to cover my arse (my coverage that my parents bought for me actually ENDED holy ****!) Then I opened a invest saver to get ES3.

So all that's done, I also opened a SCB account and purchased ES3 as well. On the day of opening my account, the lady advised me to open US and SG markets only, so I took her advice. She said when I'm more used to the system then come and open more (ok no issue).

However, now I want to get some overseas ETF (Vanguard or IWDA). Am still reading up, but I can only find IWDA:LSE on SCB... can't seem to find Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT).

May I know which exchange is VT on? I only see it on ASE which I assume is wrong
little pupsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #34

Forget about VT. What you are really looking for is VWRD or IWDA on the LSE which you need to enable access for. Buying these ETFs on the LSE reduces your withholding tax liability by half, as compared to buying their USA-domiciled counterparts.

For the LSE ETFs, pick VWRD for dividends distributing or IWDA for dividends reinvesting. Finally, for IWDA, one possible next step to consider once you are more comfortable and confident is to add a small emerging markets component to your portfolio (see EIMI). For VWRD, it already has a small emerging markets coverage.
Oooo okay thanks for the tip! I'll read up more on IWDA as I much prefer them to distribute the dividends as I may not be so disciplined. Will probably have to go down to SCB to open it.

I'll go read up on EIMI as well!

Thanks very much! More karma to you.
Old 19-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #35

You mean you prefer one that *reinvests* the dividends, right? VWRD is the one that distributes dividends.

Oooo okay thanks for the tip! I'll read up more on IWDA as I much prefer them to distribute the dividends as I may not be so disciplined. Will probably have to go down to SCB to open it.

little pupsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #36

You mean you prefer one that *reinvests* the dividends, right? VWRD is the one that distributes dividends.
Ah yes. Typed too fast. Think itís better if I just kept it all inside, instead of taking the dividends out. Pros and cons.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #37

Hi guys.

Try this:
At the SCB online trading page, click the settings button at top right, at "search filter" tab, tick all the other stock markets. VT is under ASE, america stock exchange.

The others' advice on VWRD and IWDA is right, but at least you don't get scammed by SCB's confusing UI

Welcome to the (very small) club of long-term ETF investors
jacky817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #38
Supremacy Member

All of Vanguard's ETFs distribute dividends. iShares' ETFs have a mix (some of them even have a distributing and a non-distributing version of the same fund).

If you want a pure S&P500 play, VUSD and CSPX are S&P500 ETFs domiciled in Ireland and listed on London (so 15% instead of 30%). However, IWDA covers all developed markets, which is better for beginners.
Old 20-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #39
Supremacy Member

Hi guys what is some of expense managing app or finance managing app you guys used?

can shared?
Old 20-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #40
High Supremacy Member

wa so epic thread got part 2 liao
wahkao3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #41
Master Member

Hi guys what is some of expense managing app or finance managing app you guys used?

can shared?
Why do you need an app to manage expenses? I just spend on necessities and some discretionary stuff. I maintain an excel with a PNL tab and a balancesheet tab, one row for each month. The PNL tab I input my salary for the month, expenses for the month and savings for the month. In the balancesheet, I put my breakup of my mark to market networth as of the end of the month. This way I know my average spend and savings over a period of time, also I know my networth with ratios of equity to bonds, overseas Vs domestic etc. Also I know how my networth has grown over a period of time.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
revhappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #42

Try this:
At the SCB online trading page, click the settings button at top right, at "search filter" tab, tick all the other stock markets. VT is under ASE, america stock exchange.

The others' advice on VWRD and IWDA is right, but at least you don't get scammed by SCB's confusing UI

Welcome to the (very small) club of long-term ETF investors
Wahlao eh. I thought ASE was Australian Stock Exchange.

SCBs interface really needs some touching up, but it serves it's purpose I guess

I'll most likely go into IWDA. Have 7 - 10 working days to make my decision as they set up the London & HK accounts.

Why is the club for long term ETF investing small though... I thought that's what the shiny things book is about haha.

cheers!
Old 20-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #43

All of Vanguard's ETFs distribute dividends. iShares' ETFs have a mix (some of them even have a distributing and a non-distributing version of the same fund).

If you want a pure S&P500 play, VUSD and CSPX are S&P500 ETFs domiciled in Ireland and listed on London (so 15% instead of 30%). However, IWDA covers all developed markets, which is better for beginners.
Yup I'm a pure beginner. I stumbled across the shiny things book while stumbling on the internets lol.

I have time to read up abit. Now leaning towards IWDA and getting the balance right (the age equation thingy).
Old 20-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #44

can shared?
I am using goodbudget for its envelope based budgeting system
o00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #45

Good insights from many contributors above. Just to also contribute my thoughts,

For me I do not need my emergency funds to be instantaneous liquid, as long as I can convert it to cash within a week should be fine. SSB monthly liquidity is actually not suitable I feel, its way too long. The main reason for me not to execute the strategy in that article is that it is going to make my life harder trying to keep track of the asset allocation ratio between the main portfolio and the e.fund unless there is a more suitable 40/60 mix which doesn't comprise of STI (so the correlation between the main portfolio and the emergency fund is also going to be a problem) which is already in my main portfolio. And also like wealth farmer mentioned, the notion of jacking it up by 30% is kind of weird to me too because I can put 130% of it under my bed and its value is not going to fall below 100% anyway.

Last edited by xyziop; 20-04-2018 at 10:42 AM..
xyziop is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.