HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

*Official* Shiny Things club - Part 2

Like Tree939Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #5221

Understand that iwda is accumulating and the nav increases instead of extra stocks or div being issued. And buying iwda is recommended as you save on fees for reinvestment.

However, having seen the price dropping recently, sometime wiping out most of the profits over the past months or year. I was thinking if it make sense to buy vwrd instead with div being issued and reinvested to get more stocks. By buying vwrd and converting the div to extra stocks on a reg basis, it is akin to selling iwda at times to lock in the profit to buy more stocks.

Thus, even when the prices drop, it will have a smaller effect on whatever profits that have been accumulated thus far as these profits/div in vwrd has been converted to stocks.

Not sure if the above thinking is flawed.

Sent from Samsung SM-G960F using GAGT
When divs are issued, the NAV drops.

If you reinvest vwrd dividends into vrwd and the NAV of vrwd drop, you still lose the same amount of money as iwda+ brokerage fees for the reinvestment
eD1s0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 03:53 AM   #5222
Supremacy Member

Taleb tweeted this:
[...]

So we should avoid investing?
Taleb's a clown. He's had two hedge funds go down the tubes because of terrible returns and he hasn't written anything worthwhile since Dynamic Hedging. You can ignore him.

However, having seen the price dropping recently, sometime wiping out most of the profits over the past months or year. I was thinking if it make sense to buy vwrd instead with div being issued and reinvested to get more stocks. By buying vwrd and converting the div to extra stocks on a reg basis, it is akin to selling iwda at times to lock in the profit to buy more stocks.

Thus, even when the prices drop, it will have a smaller effect on whatever profits that have been accumulated thus far as these profits/div in vwrd has been converted to stocks.
Uh what?

Buying VWRD and reinvesting the dividends is the same as just buying IWDA, because IWDA reinvests the dividends for you.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 03:55 AM   #5223
Supremacy Member

Which equities you bought? Twitter? Apple?
Low-cost global equity ETFs. I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to investments.
Ilovemathstutor likes this.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #5224

Low-cost global equity ETFs. I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to investments.
Glad to know Do you buy it monthly or weekly?
Trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #5225
High Supremacy Member

Taleb's a clown. He's had two hedge funds go down the tubes because of terrible returns and he hasn't written anything worthwhile since Dynamic Hedging. You can ignore him.
careful, you might trigger him into a 1) - 30) tweet tirade against you
Old 16-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #5226

I think that's why u have a huge fanbase.
Ilovemathstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #5227

hi ST,

can I check with you the following,

Co A : there's this co which has a 100b mcap, say valued @ $10/share.

Co B : it has a competitor which has 10b mcap, say valued @ $1/share.

is it viable for me to chart if co B matches co A's mcap at 100b mcap, then co B's shares would be $100/share too?

assuming all other parameters are the same / proportionally the same.
Ilovemathstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #5228
Supremacy Member

Have been using SCB for all my SGX trades, interested to load up on IWDA but don't seem to have any access to other stock exchanges except SGX stocks.

How do i go about enabling access to the other stock exchanges ? Do i need to open a USD settlement account or something ?
Old 16-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #5229
Master Member

Have been using SCB for all my SGX trades, interested to load up on IWDA but don't seem to have any access to other stock exchanges except SGX stocks.

How do i go about enabling access to the other stock exchanges ? Do i need to open a USD settlement account or something ?
You will need to fill up forms that basically say you want to trade in other exchanges as well as the W8ben for US exchanges and yes the respective currency settlement accounts.

So basically, go down to a branch and get the people to fix it for you.
swordsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #5230

Any documents required when opening the SCB investment account? I didn’t see anything like that on the website...
InvestingDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #5231
Supremacy Member

You will need to fill up forms that basically say you want to trade in other exchanges as well as the W8ben for US exchanges and yes the respective currency settlement accounts.

So basically, go down to a branch and get the people to fix it for you.

OK got it, on top of US exchanges i would have to activate the London exchange too since IWDA is in that am i right ?
Old 16-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #5232

If you are only going to do IWDA, you need to activate LSE. There is no need for US exchanges
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #5233
Master Member

OK got it, on top of US exchanges i would have to activate the London exchange too since IWDA is in that am i right ?
IWDA is traded in LSE so yes.
Usually the RM will tell you to apply for everything.
swordsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #5234

Hi Shiny/or Anyone really,

I am currently on the POSB Invest Saver doing a $800/$200 split between STI and Bonds ETF.

I am late to the party, catching up on the threads I realize there is now a MBH bond ETF?(which has been around for quite a while actually)

I have no investment in any Global fund as well.

What should be the direction from here?

Should I sell everything, and do a proper Local Stock/Bond/Global Stock split?
Like using Standchart for Local Stock and MBH, and buying Global with Interactive Brokers?

Or should I just stick to POSB IS, reduce the amount, and use the balance of the 1K for Global stock IWDA using Standchart?

Hope to hear some feedback, help a brother out here

Thanks
thisisedmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #5235

I don't think you need to sell. I would just leave the G3B and A35 in POSB-IS, cancel the RSP (or just reduce to the minimum $100 if you need to hit your Multiplier account counter), then start doing IWDA instead until IWDA reach your target ratio then reevaluate your DCA strategy again.
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.