HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is 1.5mil enough to quit the rat race at 45?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Is 1.5mil enough to quit the rat race at 45?

I'm feeling really tired of work and stressed out. Thinking of slogging till I'm 45 then retire n enjoy living a simple life. If I can tahan until then, I will have accumulated about 1.5mil total cash+investments+CPF+HDB all in.

Do you think this is enough for a single person? HDB 4-room flat will be fully paid by then n no other debts?

Very desperate to get out of the rat race..
Oldnerd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Depends on your ROR.

Sent from . using GAGT
crimsontactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Master Member

I'm feeling really tired of work and stressed out. Thinking of slogging till I'm 45 then retire n enjoy living a simple life. If I can tahan until then, I will have accumulated about 1.5mil total cash+investments+CPF+HDB all in.

Do you think this is enough for a single person? HDB 4-room flat will be fully paid by then n no other debts?

YESS!!! 5 more years to 50 liao... so old liao still working? got 1 mil can enjoy life liao! - i would do that!
tiertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Planning to do 70/30 equity bond allocation for 400k. 100k put on a FD ladder with 25k each and also a 30k emergency funds. The rest are tied up in CPF and HDB and SRS.

Assuming a conservative 3% return on the 400k portfolio, only going to get 12k per annum. After renting out spare rooms, will have just enough for getting by..

It looks like my investment plan is too conservative with a little too much liquid cash. I don't feel comfortable putting so much in stock markets, feel more secure having a bit more cash on hand.
Old 13-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

How is your insurance coverage? Are you single with any dependant?

What prevent me from retiring is the high medical cost in future if *touch wood* anything happens. Not that I have 1.5 million as I am still accumulating wealth.

I also wonder how much is the amount then considered as enough.
Buzy_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Master Member

What prevent me from retiring is the high medical cost in future if *touch wood* anything happens. Not that I have 1.5 million as I am still accumulating wealth.

i think previously got one minister (issit PM Lee?) said need at least 200k per pax for retirement... but i duno the 200k is from what age onwards... maybe 65..
tiertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

Single why not. Time to enjoy life!
assiak71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

No dependants except for parents who more or less have enough for themselves financially. Of course the unpredictable part is medical cost. I'm assuming that the shield plan is going to cover most of the healthcare costs, just need to fork out the co insurance n deductible portion. Should be manageable. Have a small amount of cI coverage and a life plan which I will surrender when all my money runs out..
Old 13-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Planning to do 70/30 equity bond allocation for 400k. 100k put on a FD ladder with 25k each and also a 30k emergency funds. The rest are tied up in CPF and HDB and SRS.

Assuming a conservative 3% return on the 400k portfolio, only going to get 12k per annum. After renting out spare rooms, will have just enough for getting by..

It looks like my investment plan is too conservative with a little too much liquid cash. I don't feel comfortable putting so much in stock markets, feel more secure having a bit more cash on hand.
You mean that your HDB+CPF+SRS are worth 1.1M? How much of SRS would you have then?
hwmook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
Master Member

How are your monthly expenses now?
tofuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #11

You are tired and stress out and the solution is slogging more? Think u just take a month off then go back to work.
Toni90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

I know the feeling, just semiretire or take a break for a while. Very boring to fully retire also.
mummy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #13

You are tired and stress out and the solution is slogging more? Think u just take a month off then go back to work.
Have to slog until I have what I feel is the minimum amount before I allow myself to call it quit..

Maybe what I need is just a break..
Old 13-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #14

How are your monthly expenses now?
Around 2.4k including insurance n taxes. Exclude mortgage payments.
Old 13-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #15

You mean that your HDB+CPF+SRS are worth 1.1M? How much of SRS would you have then?
I don't have that amount now, what I mean is by the time I'm 45 I will have accumulated this amount

Does it matter how much is in SRS? All are tied up until retirement age anyway and I dont think I will ever sell my HDB flat.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.