Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

30K Investment

where would u invest 30k?
missyevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Master Member

There are many "how to invest $x" threads here already, do a search. It's always the same issues: objectives, time horizon, risk tolerance etc. When you give no details like this, you are inviting silly answers like:

Go to MBS or RWS and put it all on black
lzydata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

Go to MBS or RWS and put it all on black
lousylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Storm Trooper

I personally like "Just invest it with me."
Middle-C likes this.
PruCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

If you are business-savvy, put it into a biz. Best ROE of almost all investments Also damn risky of course.

If not, then split your 30k into many parts and put equal portions into each. Each portion can go into diff investments, like stocks, gold, currency etc. Just try see which ones work better for you lor haha. But I suppose its a crappy plan cos if you are asking this qn, chances are you will not haf sufficient knowledge of all the diff investments. So ya just choose the one u r most comfortable with lor
bloodsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #6

agree w bloodsucker to keep it simple and put the money where you feel comfortable in a product you understand.

breaking it up is a good idea but you may find it difficult to monitor.

my usual advice to such questions is to put the money in a Fixed Deposit or High Interest Savings account until you figure it out. Take your time to learn and understand the different products/markets.

Buying Singapore Government Bonds and hold to maturity is a safe alternative but very low returns.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/mo...s-3870611.html

Do some research and read up about dividend investing if you are interested.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

Buying Singapore Government Bonds and hold to maturity is a safe alternative but very low returns.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/mo...s-3870611.html

Do some research and read up about dividend investing if you are interested.
I think putting all funds into SG govt bonds is not that ideal also, this will probably still lose out to inflation.
A more profitable idea may be using diversified passive portfolio, by splitting the investment between STI ETF and SG Govt bonds at 50/50 split, then use yearly rebalancing to try keep the ratio at 50/50.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

just to add.

do some reading on money market fund, bond fund and, as epps_sg said, index (STI) tracking fund.

develop your own strategy and approach according to your needs and comfort zone - its your money, you decide.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

The STI did awesome last year for 2012. Almost 20% returns. It's average over the past couple of decades is above 9%. So it is one of the best and lowest investments you can undertake if you are thinking of long-term investing.

Let's say you dollar-cost average monthly $500 over the next 40 years till u retire (assuming you are now 30 and retirement age is 70 at that time). If you get 9% returns (i dno if its still possible 40 yrs into the future), you will be getting more than $2.3 million by the time you retire. If we discount the figure to present value with inflation of 3%, you would have about $720k of current day money. Not too bad in my opinion. More than enough to live a very very comfy life after you retire
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #10

thanks the great sugggestions guys
missyevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

Long time ago i created a new thread. Rather brief, and lazy to update, maybe because i already acquired the knowledge and experience i wanted, and also added with more hobbies in my life, such as photography and traveling, fighting for my free time.

You may refer to: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/mo...t-3646553.html

Also refer to this: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/st...t-2972824.html
Dividends Warrior likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #12

The STI did awesome last year for 2012. Almost 20% returns. It's average over the past couple of decades is above 9%. So it is one of the best and lowest investments you can undertake if you are thinking of long-term investing.

Let's say you dollar-cost average monthly $500 over the next 40 years till u retire (assuming you are now 30 and retirement age is 70 at that time). If you get 9% returns (i dno if its still possible 40 yrs into the future), you will be getting more than $2.3 million by the time you retire. If we discount the figure to present value with inflation of 3%, you would have about $720k of current day money. Not too bad in my opinion. More than enough to live a very very comfy life after you retire
Lol inflation 3%.
GamerSg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #13

Lol inflation 3%.
Did I say something wrong? Perhaps you should check inflation figures for the past few decades. Yes it may be between 4-5% now, but if u think that it's gonna remain like this for the next few decades without any monetary/fiscal policy intervention, then you might be mis-informed. Maybe you'd like to research more before laughing.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Storm Trooper

To GamerSG: 3% is a reasonable figure to use.

Long-term inflation rate isn't 5%, nor is core inflation.

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/the...my/prices.html

Last edited by PruCorgi; 08-01-2013 at 07:25 PM..
PruCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #15

Haha yea of course I'm aware of that bro. I'm merely discounting inflation to 2-3%, which was that of the past few decades. What I meant for 5% is that of last year's figure. It was 4.7% (around that figure) for q3 and q4. It was reported in the papers, and yes it is taking into account property inflation. I don't see anything wrong with doing a calculation based on 3% inflation. Do state your reasons if I'm wrong to use 3%.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.