Amex dont want to increase credit limit

Justin_ek9

Reaction score
Amex dont want to increase my credit limit even though i pay promtly the bill every mth. Any tips or advise?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Amex dont want to increase my credit limit even though i pay promtly the bill every mth. Any tips or advise?

Think can just prepay to amex. The credit limit will increase by the amount prepaid.

jyantzen

Reaction score
From my own experience, Amex will offer you a credit limit increase, if they decide to do so, after a few years.

Got another new Amex card? Good luck, they will split the credit limit by half for each card.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My credit card company does want to decrease my credit limit upon request. How :s22:

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My credit card company does want to decrease my credit limit upon request. How :s22:

Its hard to reduce the credit limit. Thats why its crucial to fill in a low credit limit in the application form from the outset. I don't want to expose myself to risk of high losses in case of credit card fraud. I feel that $10k is more than enough credit limit. If need to spend more, I will just prepay into the account.

lifeafter41

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its hard to reduce the credit limit. Thats why its crucial to fill in a low credit limit in the application form from the outset. I don't want to expose myself to risk of high losses in case of credit card fraud. I feel that $10k is more than enough credit limit. If need to spend more, I will just prepay into the account.

Normally just request for temporary increase, they will agree to it.

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
ts, why you want the higher limit for? Buy airtickets? :look:

Why yall jiang bad de :o

torque

Reaction score
Request to look for Jamie Lee, head of cards. He settle everything for me.

cassowary18

Reaction score

A warning about this strategy: your credit utilization ratio will go up, which will then negatively impact your credit score. If your credit limit is high, your credit utilization ratio will be lower than someone who spends the same amount but has a lower credit limit. Hence, it is better to get as high a credit limit as possible but spend very little.

Imhthc

Reaction score
From my own experience, Amex will offer you a credit limit increase, if they decide to do so, after a few years.

Got another new Amex card? Good luck, they will split the credit limit by half for each card.

Amex card’s credit limit is independent as compared to other banks which shared the credit limit amount across the number of cards you have with each bank. I had 3 cards with Amex and the respective card’s credit limit is $7k to $9k.

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Amex card’s credit limit is independent as compared to other banks which shared the credit limit amount across the number of cards you have with each bank. I had 3 cards with Amex and the respective card’s credit limit is $7k to $9k.
Really anot?
What he says is true leh
Originally I had the plat card credit limit 10K. Then I got the cashback card. AMEX chopped the 10k limit into 5, 5 each.

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really anot?
What he says is true leh
Originally I had the plat card credit limit 10K. Then I got the cashback card. AMEX chopped the 10k limit into 5, 5 each.

Actually that's what he is saying. Each amex card have it's own credit limit. I have 3 Amex cards and each one have it's own limit. When you use one card, it doesn't affect the amount of credit available on the other cards. HSBC and Amex are the only 2 I remember which work like that.

My first Amex card have only slightly less than $5k credit limit. I applied a 2nd card and got similar credit limit. When I got the 3rd Amex card, the limit is the lowest. My credit limit didn't get chopped because it's already low in the first place.

Last edited:

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Actually that's what he is saying. Each amex card have it's own credit limit. I have 3 Amex cards and each one have it's own limit. When you use one card, it doesn't affect the amount of credit available on the other cards. HSBC and Amex are the only 2 I remember which work like that.

My first Amex card have only slightly less than $5k credit limit. I applied a 2nd card and got similar credit limit. When I got the 3rd Amex card, the limit is the lowest. My credit limit didn't get chopped because it's already low in the first place.

I blur alrdy.
Say originally your 1st ever AMEX card, your limit with AMEX is 5K.
Subsequently, you got more cards, your total limit is more than 5K liao? 5+ 5 +(say) 4?

Mine is originally I got 10K limit
when I got the 2nd card, AMEX applied 5K to each card. My limit remains at 10K altogether. :look:

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I blur alrdy.
Say originally your 1st ever AMEX card, your limit with AMEX is 5K.
Subsequently, you got more cards, your total limit is more than 5K liao? 5+ 5 +(say) 4?

Mine is originally I got 10K limit
when I got the 2nd card, AMEX applied 5K to each card. My limit remains at 10K altogether. :look:

Yes, my first card is around 5k, 2nd one also around 5k, 3rd also around 5k. And I got these 3 cards within 8 months or so.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.