HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Can i work full time when I have a registered business under my name?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Can i work full time when I have a registered business under my name?

Hi guys,

I would like some advice, i am currently running an online business which is registered on ACRA, i have been in this business for 1 year now, have been making money for few months but now, business is slow and im not making any money.

I would like to ask if iím able to work full time employment while i work on my online business after work? Because Iím running out of savings but do not want to give up. Thank you everyone in advance!

Ps. Im selling clothes online
JoviL93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

Speak to your HR, depends on the company. In most cases, it is fine as long as there is no conflict of interest.
fluxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Speak to your HR, depends on the company.
Use some good judgment here. Itíd be better to check the companyís written policies and your employment contract. If thereís no problem in those documents, then Iíd proceed. A question to HR may invite creation of a policy: the answer ďno.Ē
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #4

Hi guys,

I would like some advice, i am currently running an online business which is registered on ACRA, i have been in this business for 1 year now, have been making money for few months but now, business is slow and im not making any money.

I would like to ask if iím able to work full time employment while i work on my online business after work? Because Iím running out of savings but do not want to give up. Thank you everyone in advance!

Ps. Im selling clothes online
As long as there is no conflict of interest, it shouldn't be a problem.
moejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #5
Master Member

SME and smaller private sector businesses shouldn't have any problem but civil service and MNC often do not allow "moonlighting" or having own registered business depending on their internal policy.

Since you already have your own Sole-Prop registration before you begin employment, you should raise this out during your interview or log a case of your present business registration with them. Whether your future employer requires you to wind it up or close ACRA is another matter but if you take some other people advise to hush hush about it... as you already have a business registered prior new employment, you may encounter problems or even legal issue should they find out via ACRA in the future.
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

This is ill advise. Dont hush hush about it as basic pre-employment screening will reveal it. You need to declare it upfront during the HR interview stage.

In almost all companies (with the exception of SME), there will already be a policy in place and they can advise you accordingly. HR can’t simply “create” one, they are obligated to follow protocol.

Wth the exception of government jobs, as long as there is no conflict of interest, it should be fine.

Use some good judgment here. It’d be better to check the company’s written policies and your employment contract. If there’s no problem in those documents, then I’d proceed. A question to HR may invite creation of a policy: the answer “no.”
Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #7

Always best to disclose during the interview process. It might even be seen as a plus (entrepreneurial, takes initiative, etc).
2474265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not uncommon to hear or know some employees are having other business while still working. More common with people in sales and such people can be managers and directors of a company and their side business are usually in conflict.

There are many MPs holding more than one jobs

Same with directors have multiple directorship.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #9

SME and smaller private sector businesses shouldn't have any problem but civil service and MNC often do not allow "moonlighting" or having own registered business depending on their internal policy.

Since you already have your own Sole-Prop registration before you begin employment, you should raise this out during your interview or log a case of your present business registration with them. Whether your future employer requires you to wind it up or close ACRA is another matter but if you take some other people advise to hush hush about it... as you already have a business registered prior new employment, you may encounter problems or even legal issue should they find out via ACRA in the future.

Hi Hafi and everyone, thank you for the replies, i appreciate it,
i have read online and found out that it is illegal to be self-employed in my own business and be a full time employee elsewhere, is this statement correct?

Thank you
JoviL93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #10

This is incorrect. It is not “illegal”. It just depends on whether the organisation you will be working for allows it or not.

What’s not clear about the previous replies?

i have read online and found out that it is illegal to be self-employed in my own business and be a full time employee elsewhere, is this statement correct?

Thank you
Old 09-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #11
Master Member

Thank you
according to the law, this is not illegal. What is not legal is to attempt to hide or circumvent company policy when it specifically stated it as a restriction. SMEs have more leeway and lax about this so it all depends which company/employer you're going to work. The only place which can confirmed not allowed is government (civil service) and stats boards. As bro fluxos had acknowledged, being hush hush about it only brings trouble with your employer in the future.

The issue with you here is you already have a present business registered so its your responsibility to declare that during your interview. Whether they allow it or ask you to close it down will depends on your interpersonal skill to convince them that your part time business will not interfere with your regular work. Having a part time business outside of office hour is frowned upon by employers cos it takes away attention and productivity from your main work as employers feel they do not get the performance they have paid for (your salary) even when there no conflict of interest here. Another crux is that once your part time business takes off, you will certainly be quitting your job and bring your job expertise with you then they'll have to re-train and employ a new guy from ground up.

Last edited by Hafi; 09-09-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #12

Thank you
It depends on the company policy you going to or working full time. Some do not allow due to reason like conflict of interest or fraud etc.
lilycll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Even if company got no policy on moonlighting etc, one should have integrity not to be involved in jobs at the expense of full time job and in conflict with full time job.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.