Choa chu kang hdb flats price breaks one year low

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will people pay more for a 93 year lease left hdb or 99 year lease bto? Still feel the 99 year lease property for own stay is a liability, unless rent out.

It is a liability only if your 99 year leasehold or freehold property is not fully paid up. Usually primary residence will be taken out when computing net worth.

Long term wise your 99 year leasehold will appreciate (positive valaution) over time due to inflation even without capital appreciation (COV).

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By the way, I realize you are right after all, coz getting married to buy flat is always out of my equation.

No one will force themselves to get married just to buy a BTO.

Get married if you are ready. I even suggest not to get married if they don't plan to have kids.

Buying BTO is just a good option because they are paying a subsidized flat.

Matured BTOs are high in demand and rare. I am lucky to get one.

Less matured BTOs have more supply. Buying these units are like buying undervalued stocks. Yishun and Jurong used to be non-matured decades ago.

At end of the day, your residential property in Singapore is unlikely to grow at an enormous rate of return in the future. So buy now if you need the roof under your head urgently.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No one will force themselves to get married just to buy a BTO.

Get married if you are ready. I even suggest not to get married if they don't plan to have kids.

Buying BTO is just a good option because they are paying a subsidized flat.

Matured BTOs are high in demand and rare. I am lucky to get one.

Less matured BTOs have more supply. Buying these units are like buying undervalued stocks. Yishun and Jurong used to be non-matured decades ago.

At end of the day, your residential property in Singapore is unlikely to grow at an enormous rate of return in the future. So buy now if you need the roof under your head urgently.

My first reply not referring to marriage actually.

Anyway, I have seen how HDB prices drop over the past few years with the flood of BTO flats. I believe most buyers are sitting on negative equity right now.
BTO flats may priced cheaper but they are in more isolated locations too.

Perhaps you should share where is your so called matured area? I actually mean centralized area, not really just matured. :D

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I notice something.

Those flats that are less popular and far from MRT are much more cleaner. Because foreigners are so fussy to pick these locations.

My cousin's flat at Bukit Panjang is 10x cleaner than my flat in a matured estate.

The moment you rent out flats to foreigners, there is a good chance the unit will run down faster.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I notice something.

Those flats that are less popular and far from MRT are much more cleaner. Because foreigners are so fussy to pick these locations.

My cousin's flat at Bukit Panjang is 10x cleaner than my flat in a matured estate.

The moment you rent out flats to foreigners, there is a good chance the unit will run down faster.

Still the same, you need to tell us where is your flat first so we can have a better judgement.

Lesser people of course cleaner. I have seen so many dirty flats that are close to MRT yet their asking price are significantly higher. :D Afterall, location is utmost important.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My first reply not referring to marriage actually.

Anyway, I have seen how HDB prices drop over the past few years with the flood of BTO flats. I believe most buyers are sitting on negative equity right now.
BTO flats may priced cheaper but they are in more isolated locations too.

Perhaps you should share where is your so called matured area? I actually mean centralized area, not really just matured. :D

I don't see how the BTO can become negative equity.

Those BTO flats will be sold at least 100k above once they opened in the balance of sale flats.

Negative equities can also happen with private properties. You buy at the peak price and no subsidy, so your guess is as good as mine.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the BTO can become negative equity.

Those BTO flats will be sold at least 100k above once they opened in the balance of sale flats.

Negative equities can also happen with private properties. You buy at the peak price and no subsidy, so your guess is as good as mine.

Haha, 100 K sgd? :D You better search old flats price near your house now and see for yourself how much the asking price has dropped.

My uncle bought the new BTO at low and sell old flat at high, earned around 100 K sgd, but that was partly due to timing and old flat is in better location(much closer to MRT).

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
Most of the resale flats are in better locations, hard to compare.

Singapore is so small, there is no way for properties in good locations to appreciate if prices everywhere else is crashing. Also its impossible for private property prices to move up if HDB keeps falling, HDB has been the backbone of the property market in the last 30 years, over 85% of Singaporeans stay in public housing, most private property owners are HDB upgraders.

PAP has been ramping up housing supply to curb price growth because cost of housing is a thorny issue, Singapore is not HK where the government can let property prices rocket, they lost 1 GRC in 2011 due to housing hot button issue, housing needs to be affordable for them to keep winning elections.

HK would be a better place to invest in property because there are no real elections, the HK SAR government is very half hearted when it comes to providing public housing because they are in bed with the developers, but they have to be since most of their revenue comes from land sales.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why impossible? It is happening right now.

Hong Kong people talked about potential drop in price soon due to huge run up and recent government intervention.

Singapore is so small, there is no way for properties in good locations to appreciate if prices everywhere else is crashing. Also its impossible for private property prices to move up if HDB keeps falling, HDB has been the backbone of the property market in the last 30 years, over 85% of Singaporeans stay in public housing, most private property owners are HDB upgraders.

PAP has been ramping up housing supply to curb price growth because cost of housing is a thorny issue, Singapore is not HK where the government can let property prices rocket, they lost 1 GRC in 2011 due to housing hot button issue, housing needs to be affordable for them to keep winning elections.

HK would be a better place to invest in property because there are no real elections, the HK SAR government is very half hearted when it comes to providing public housing because they are in bed with the developers, but they have to be since most of their revenue comes from land sales.

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
Why impossible? It is happening right now.

Hong Kong people talked about potential drop in price soon due to huge run up and recent government intervention.

Its not happening right now unless you mean past few months. Long term charts of HDB and private property price index moves in near lock step.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most Hdb flats price are down.
But at least some condos price still hold steady and in fact some are still making profit and going up.
And please don't forget, how they change calculation method(remove developer incentive) to artificially push down private property price last year.

Its not happening right now unless you mean past few months. Long term charts of HDB and private property price index moves in near lock step.

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
Most Hdb flats price are down.
But at least some condos price still hold steady and in fact some are still making profit and going up.
And please don't forget, how they change calculation method(remove developer incentive) to artificially push down private property price last year.

Most HDB flats are down means that some HDB flats are up, same as the situation with condos, most are down, only a small portion is up. This is why we have indexes, the represent the mean and the median.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is a drop across the whole island for Hdb flats, just that isolated areas drop are more severe.

For the case of condo, affordable condos still hold price quite well. CCR and sentosa cove huge drop kind of drag the whole index down and furthermore if the drop is so severe, why is there a need for them to change calculation method?

Simple, you just check your Hdb valuation versus few years back? Up or down?

Most HDB flats are down means that some HDB flats are up, same as the situation with condos, most are down, only a small portion is up. This is why we have indexes, the represent the mean and the median.

Last edited:

Aaron_soh80

Banned
Reaction score
Many think buying bto sure huat, but I don't think the maths works this way.

You are buying BTO at current price, if there is a huge pressure on resale flat price, once your bto flats are ready, resale flats may demand a price similar to Bto price. And most resale flats are in better locations compared to bto flats, this also means rental demand for resale flat is higher.

Anyway, more people buying bto means more revenue for government.

depends on location lay.. those mature estate sure huat..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.