Citibank Maxigain Savings Account

tyr9292

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"Good old days"? :s11:

Guess you didn't notice not getting any base interest on your $20k for the last 12 months? Since the minimum to do so was increased to $70k way back in Jan 2019.

If so, you were only getting 1.2%pa bonus interest then, and should be getting 0.6%pa now. Perhaps CIMB Fastsaver? 20k will get you 1.0%pa there.

What he said ^. Because I learned it the hard way too :s13::s22:

jady__

Reaction score
My banker tried to get me to open interest plus account as an alternative to maxigain which offers 1.4% interest per annum if I purchase an endowment plan. 1.2% more if I purchase investment plan which I am not considering at the moment.

1.4% will mean it is almost the same maxigain but she did mentioned that the sibor rate is likely to continue decreasing. However, after I think about it after that, it seems like not very worthwhile. The endowment plan is a pregressive kind of plan. Within 10 years, the interest is only 1% per annum. Only until 25 years, it reaches 4+%. Moreover, I checked online earlier & realized that interest plus only offers the stated interest for up to 50k.

The only perk I see so far is that cashbacks will be awarded within 3 months if I put in fresh fund. About $700 for 25k fresh fund.

Any advice?

MrCoconut

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stopped reading at endowment plan
My banker tried to get me to open interest plus account as an alternative to maxigain which offers 1.4% interest per annum if I purchase an endowment plan. 1.2% more if I purchase investment plan which I am not considering at the moment.

1.4% will mean it is almost the same maxigain but she did mentioned that the sibor rate is likely to continue decreasing. However, after I think about it after that, it seems like not very worthwhile. The endowment plan is a pregressive kind of plan. Within 10 years, the interest is only 1% per annum. Only until 25 years, it reaches 4+%. Moreover, I checked online earlier & realized that interest plus only offers the stated interest for up to 50k.

The only perk I see so far is that cashbacks will be awarded within 3 months if I put in fresh fund. About $700 for 25k fresh fund.

Any advice?

Sent from 8riversuites using GAGT

vsvs24

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Any advice?

If you only want a savings account like Maxigain which you can withdraw and close account anytime, why would you even want to consider an endowment fund which requires long time commitment. Interest are usually not guaranteed. Don't let the banks sway your original intention.

testingabc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Any advice?

if you want flexible, maybe can try maybank isavvy? for me i switched to maybank isavvy and isavvy-i musical chair after the nerf in maxigain. for me i like it very much since it is very flexible. i hate endowment plan and insurance plans.

jady__

Reaction score
Called the customer service saying that I don't want the interest plus account anymore. The person said have to pay $50 for early closure. Said I don't want the endowment plan. She said will email my relationship manager for her to get back to me. Sigh

jady__

Reaction score
The banker did not even mention about the interest only applies to below 50k so why should I pay $50 for her negligence? In fact, she asked me to transfer all my fund from maxigain to interest plus when I already have more than 50k in maxigain as it is.

vsvs24

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Called the customer service saying that I don't want the interest plus account anymore. The person said have to pay $50 for early closure. Said I don't want the endowment plan. She said will email my relationship manager for her to get back to me. Sigh

I think there should be a 14 day cooling down period for your endowment. Email so that have black and white that you don't want it. Don't let them drag beyond the 14 days.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/7-tips-before-buying-insurance-from-a-bank

Last edited:

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for the 0.x% switch to endowment ??

u put icbc fd still can get 1.6 to 1.7 %..

caniggia

Reaction score
For this maxigain, need to deposit at least 150k to earn that bonus interest?
And from their site calculation, what is savings per month mean? Have to pump in money monthly apart from the principal sum 1st deposited?

vsvs24

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For this maxigain, need to deposit at least 150k to earn that bonus interest?
And from their site calculation, what is savings per month mean? Have to pump in money monthly apart from the principal sum 1st deposited?

Maxigain has changed their tnc wef Dec 2019. No longer attractive. If you bother to read the posts here for the last 3 mths you would see most people have closed the account and move funds elsewhere .

If have 70k to 150k interest is about 1.4% or so and will fluctuate as part of it is tied to SIBOR. Plus cannot withdraw more than the interest monthly or else the counter will drop and hence interest will drop.

https://blog.moneysmart.sg/savings-accounts/citibank-maxigain/

Now to answer your question, 150k is the max not the min. Best interest (about 1.4%) for this account is 70k to 150k.

No need to pump in more every month. Just initiate deposit will do.

caniggia

Reaction score
Maxigain has changed their tnc wef Dec 2019. No longer attractive. If you bother to read the posts here for the last 3 mths you would see most people have closed the account and move funds elsewhere .

If have 70k to 150k interest is about 1.4% or so and will fluctuate as part of it is tied to SIBOR. Plus cannot withdraw more than the interest monthly or else the counter will drop and hence interest will drop.

https://blog.moneysmart.sg/savings-accounts/citibank-maxigain/

Now to answer your question, 150k is the max not the min. Best interest (about 1.4%) for this account is 70k to 150k.

No need to pump in more every month. Just initiate deposit will do.

Thanks. Currently they throw in anniversary monetary gift and survey profiling bonus. So its cushion the 20% drop in sibor and 50% drop in bonus interest based on a 70k deposit. Question is how credibility is the gift and survey bonus as it is not written in black and white.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Currently they throw in anniversary monetary gift and survey profiling bonus. So its cushion the 20% drop in sibor and 50% drop in bonus interest based on a 70k deposit. Question is how credibility is the gift and survey bonus as it is not written in black and white.

such gifts & rewards have been there all along ..

if not wrong, "anniversary" gift is applicable to CitiGold client. Last time, they paid out on the 11th month ... now not sure

website's "Anniversary" links points to Referral award for Priority instead

if u r dead set to join Citi, would suggest putting minimum to clock the counter ... then top up only when u reach 12

there r better options

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.