Citibank Maxigain Savings Account

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Radio today was advertising this new savings account from Citibank.

Basically, you are paid a base interest which is 80% of the 1-month SIBOR rate. For every month, you get bonus interest starting from 0.1% after 1st month, until max of 1.2% after 12 months. Account balance cannot be taken out, else the bonus interest resets. Either maintain same balance or increase balance.

Sounds very interesting as you could potentially get up to 2% yet able to withdraw money any time without penalty, unlike a fixed deposit.

https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/deposits/mxgn-savacc.htm

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read the website, dont understand what does counter 1 2 3 etc means? How it works

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read the website, dont understand what does counter 1 2 3 etc means? How it works

Check out the FAQ.

Basically, after every month, you get 1 counter. 1 counter = 0.1% interest. The maximum is 12 counters which will take you 12 months to obtain.

Base interest = 80% of 1-month SIBOR = 80% x 1.11950 = 0.90% (estimated)

1st month i/r = 0.9%
2nd month i/r = 0.9% + 0.1%
3rd month i/r = 0.9% + 0.2%
13th month i/r = 0.9% + 1.2%

Seems to be a pretty good deal but hope more people here can take a look and see if this "deal" is too good to be true.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
citibank used to have a similar step up account previously. good thing for this one is the reset for bonus i/r is not back to 0 but the minimum is higher.

sibor is rising so this account will be useful when the right time comes.

Squaredot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does the interest rate remain at 80%*1m SIBOR + 1.2% after 13months ?
I'm keen :D

Last edited:

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks doody for explaining, so if SIBOR raise every month, our base interest rate increase also ?

icicic

Reaction score
Looks good. Plus the 200 sgd for opening citi priority at the same time, and another 200 sgd I think stackable for doing the investment preference survey and opt for estatement. Feels like magic card combo

Sent from Sony D6653 using GAGT

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks doody for explaining, so if SIBOR raise every month, our base interest rate increase also ?

Quoted from their sign up page

2. The Base Interest Rate will fluctuate daily in accordance to the movement of 1 month SIBOR. For any day that is a weekend or a public holiday, the Base Interest Rate of the immediately preceding Business Day shall apply. "Business Day" refers to any day on which banks are open for business in Singapore other than Saturday, Sunday and gazetted public holidays in Singapore.

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does the interest rate remain at 80%*1m SIBOR + 1.2% after 13months ?
I'm keen :D

Yes, I believe so.

Seems like a fantastic product. I could sign up now and put in the initial 10k at the base interest rate of approx 0.8%. Waiting until the 3rd month will give me 1.1% interest and I can then start moving money from CIMB Fastsaver over as they are paying 1%.

Squaredot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Plus the 200 sgd for opening citi priority at the same time, and another 200 sgd I think stackable for doing the investment preference survey and opt for estatement. Feels like magic card combo

Getting more interesting!
How much for Citi Priority banking? Is Welcome gift in cash or voucher?
Is the survey very long? May skip it..

Last edited:

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check out the FAQ.

Basically, after every month, you get 1 counter. 1 counter = 0.1% interest. The maximum is 12 counters which will take you 12 months to obtain.

Base interest = 80% of 1-month SIBOR = 80% x 1.11950 = 0.90% (estimated)

1st month i/r = 0.9%
2nd month i/r = 0.9% + 0.1%
3rd month i/r = 0.9% + 0.2%
13th month i/r = 0.9% + 1.2%

Seems to be a pretty good deal but hope more people here can take a look and see if this "deal" is too good to be true.

just to add on, seems to be a good hedge tool for those with loans pegged to 1month SIBOR movements

highsulphur

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The 0.8*sibor base rate applies only for the first $150k. Subsequent balance will get only 0.05% as base rate.

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Getting more interesting!
How much for Citi Priority banking? Is Welcome gift in cash or voucher?
Is the survey very long? May skip it..

Ehhh, I didn't see this option for $200 after doing survey and opting for e-statement...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.